Offroad lights for 2010 JK? - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-21-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Alecy14
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fayetteville
Posts: 8
Offroad lights for 2010 JK?

Hey everyone, new to the forums and beginner at this jeep thing. I'm just looking for some veteran opinions because the copious amount of options are overwhelming for a new Jeeper. I want to add some extra lighting power to my 2010 JKU Sahara for offroading and night driving. I've got a couple hundred dollars in my budget, looking for a good value purchase.

I think I've settled on these HID headlights:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97025_0010.htm

How should I mount them? Here are a few options I found but I don't know which one to choose. I will only be installing the 2 lights for now.

Mopar 3 Light Bar:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12010_5100_07.htm
Front Bumper Bracket Mounts:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12110_201.htm
2 Light Bar:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12001_920X_PG.htm

Why is the 2 light bar so much more expensive than the 3 light bar from Mopar? Is there a cheaper 2 light bar out there? Or are there any better options that I have missed? I'm lost here please help me! :


Alecy14 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 07-21-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Alecy14
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fayetteville
Posts: 8
I like the idea of having the hi-tech and pretty looking HIDs but I think they're a little expensive. These seem like the better choice, anyone have experience with these?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97048_X1_PG.htm
Alecy14 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 07-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Xpress
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Great Big Box
Posts: 5,929
Garage
Get yourself a pair of KC Daylighters and retrofit an HID kit into them. Cost me about $170 total for both lights and the HID kit, about 2x as bright as the included 100W Halogen bulbs. I would go with the simple brackets, honestly.

All about that unibody life.
Xpress is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 07-24-2012, 10:07 PM
10jkMOUNTAIN
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: woodstock
Posts: 32
well i told myself two as well, 3 weeks later i got another pair lol. cant go wrong with KC's. i got 4 KC 130watt daylighters and love'em. as for the location, IMO, id try to steer away from mounting them right in front of the grill as to not block air flow to the radiator and such. what i like about KC is the majority of their lights have good bracket design so you can point the beam where you want it from just about any location. ive got 2 mounted on windshield pillar brackets and the other 2 put in place of the windshield bump stops on the hood. the only down side to my setup is visibility(all passenger complaints lol), as for myself, i like the setup and it doesn't effect me at all. hope this helps
10jkMOUNTAIN is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 07-24-2012, 10:15 PM
10jkMOUNTAIN
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: woodstock
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecy14 View Post
I like the idea of having the hi-tech and pretty looking HIDs but I think they're a little expensive. These seem like the better choice, anyone have experience with these?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97048_X1_PG.htm
i tried these at first, great lighting on the trail, but i wasnt pleased with the mounting brackets. where i had them on the windshield pillar brackets and hood, they moved too much at highway speed. i switched them for the long range daylighters, they've got a much sturdier mounting system for my setup. buddy of mine has a pair of slims on his stubby and says they work great, dont hardly move at all. guess you just gotta watch where you place'em
10jkMOUNTAIN is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Alecy14
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fayetteville
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10jkMOUNTAIN View Post
well i told myself two as well, 3 weeks later i got another pair lol. cant go wrong with KC's. i got 4 KC 130watt daylighters and love'em. as for the location, IMO, id try to steer away from mounting them right in front of the grill as to not block air flow to the radiator and such. what i like about KC is the majority of their lights have good bracket design so you can point the beam where you want it from just about any location. ive got 2 mounted on windshield pillar brackets and the other 2 put in place of the windshield bump stops on the hood. the only down side to my setup is visibility(all passenger complaints lol), as for myself, i like the setup and it doesn't effect me at all. hope this helps
Is the blocking of airflow that substantial to avoid mounting any lights on the front grill? If I do mount them on the windshield, will that create any kind of noticeable air noise while at highway speeds?
Alecy14 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Alecy14
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fayetteville
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Get yourself a pair of KC Daylighters and retrofit an HID kit into them. Cost me about $170 total for both lights and the HID kit, about 2x as bright as the included 100W Halogen bulbs. I would go with the simple brackets, honestly.
That sounds like a great idea; I'll consider it. Do you have the link to the HID kit you used or would use today?
Alecy14 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Xpress
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Great Big Box
Posts: 5,929
Garage
Yes, I use DDM Tuning HID kits. They're a local business as well, but they don't stock 55w kits. It's snail mail, so be warned. Takes a week or so.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit

You will need H3 bulbs, your choice to go with 35w or 55w, I suggest 55 watt, it's only $10 more. As far as Kelvin goes, I always suggest 5000K, as it is the whitest and brightest.

As far as mounting them up in front of the grill, don't worry about it. Not enough airflow will be blocked to make much difference, the fan can always suck more air through.

All about that unibody life.
Xpress is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 04:15 PM
10jkMOUNTAIN
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: woodstock
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecy14 View Post
Is the blocking of airflow that substantial to avoid mounting any lights on the front grill? If I do mount them on the windshield, will that create any kind of noticeable air noise while at highway speeds?
Xpress has a good point. im still tryin to get use to a new vehicle, my previous zj and frontier pickup had cooling problems but the jk should be just fine.

its hard for me to judge wind noise cause ive always got the radio on (cant drive without it )
10jkMOUNTAIN is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 07-27-2012, 03:20 PM
pavemntoptional
Registered User
1981 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lake Havasu City
Posts: 66
The new KC intergrated light is a great light.
http://www.pavementoptional.com/lighting-hid/
10% off thru Sunday 7/29
Coupon code. Forum
pavemntoptional is offline  
Reply

Tags
bar , hid , jk , lights , xenon

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
best offroad lights for around or under $50 TwistedcaB- Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical 68 08-22-2012 07:06 PM
Offroad Rev Lights (Aux) Xenophage Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical 5 07-05-2007 06:22 AM
offroad lights????? Daylan General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment 52 01-19-2007 07:07 PM
Offroad Lights cnel221 Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical 8 12-13-2006 02:00 PM
Offroad Lights cnel221 General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment 3 11-24-2006 07:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome