Offroad lights for '06 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Offroad lights for '06 TJ

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
CoolContractor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Offroad lights for '06 TJ

I would like to replace my stock, bumper mount fog lights with something better. I would like to reuse the factory wiring and switch. Also, I want to install 2 windshield mount lights and find a good location for the additional switch. Anyone have any advice and maybe some pictures too. I would like to have all 4 from the same mfg.

Unread 02-27-2009, 04:11 AM   #2
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolContractor View Post
I would like to replace my stock, bumper mount fog lights with something better. I would like to reuse the factory wiring and switch.
I would use the existing wires that are now going to the lights to actuate a new relay that will turn on the lights.
Pull the wire back to the relay mounting point and attach the power wire from the existing relay to pin 86 and ground pin 85. (good grounds mean bare metal contact, external tooth star lock washers, ring lugs, conductive corrosion resistant paste, similar gauged wire).
If you are using a Relay Harness from the Light Manufacturer use the existing OEM positive wire as switch wires for the new harness.

Another thing I like to do, redo the ground wires from the lights.
If there are two wire coming from the new lights (red and black), the red power will go to the relay and the black ground would normally be connected to a grounding point near the lights but I like to route the ground wires (2 into 1 larger gauge wire is OK), back to the battery.
If there is only one wire coming from the light (usually a red power wire), add a ground wire to the housing.
If there are to many wires at the battery a stud or terminal strip can be installed.

Quote:
I want to install 2 windshield mount lights and find a good location for the additional switch. Anyone have any advice and maybe some pictures too.
There are a lot of manufacturers of switches that are similar to the OEM Jeep stuff, where... you are going to have to look it up because I don't know for sure the type or look you want.
I have read and seen pic of a lot of switch setups that look OEM.
I am sure someone will pickup on this and let you know where to go; so to speak...

Quote:
I would like to have all 4 from the same mfg.
I like the KC Slim Line Lights.

Luck,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
CoolContractor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I will do a little more research. I have heard good things about KC.
Unread 02-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Keithinnc
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have an '06 TJ myself and am in the process of looking at lights (and many other electrical items). I came across this in my research, you might want to give it a once over.

http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=47

[CENTER][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Silver"]SILVER JEEP MEMBER #15[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

[CENTER][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][URL="http://carolinaoffroadforum.com"]CORF[/URL][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
Keithinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
CoolContractor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just did a search and found a switch/relay setup. Looks pricey but well made. Anyone have any experience with www.4x4sPOD.com?
CoolContractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Keithinnc
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I checked out the link, your right, nice but expensive. I'll have to keep a check and ebay and craigslist.

[CENTER][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Silver"]SILVER JEEP MEMBER #15[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

[CENTER][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][URL="http://carolinaoffroadforum.com"]CORF[/URL][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
Keithinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
BillyV65
2007 JK Wrangler 

Not any help to your question, but I would be very interested in your factory fog lights if you wanted to sell them. PM me if you want to part with them.

Billy
BillyV65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.