Off Road Lights: Halogen, HID or LED? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Off Road Lights: Halogen, HID or LED?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-17-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
bottlerocket91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Off Road Lights: Halogen, HID or LED?

So I have been browsing around and trying to find the right lights for the TJ and after looking for a bit I have noticed that there isnt a whole lot of separation between the LED and HID price point and the nicer Halogens.

I know that Halogens are the most straight forward, but each have their advantages. I'd assume that HIDs put out the most light but are the most fragile and LEDs are durable as hell but throw light in every direction.

Has anyone gone a route other than Halogen for their off road lights?

bottlerocket91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
brondon
1988 XJ Cherokee 

the thing with led vs hid is led is ment to be seen and hid is ment to illuminate hence newer cars having led tail lights and hid head lights although ive seen some pretty good led fog lights

i had 35w hid fog lights on my old blazer they were great then i put the hids in my head lights and replaced the fog light bulbs with 55w hid and wow i could see everything i loved them and i did some crazy off roading with out any issues

i would def go with hid! hands down

what i would do if i were you is search craig list for some fog lights that have H4 bulbs which are the same head lights as on the xjs buy them just for the housing and get some 55w hid bulbs off of this site i forget what it is i can ask my friend tomorrow if you really want it but i had them in mine they are the cheapest ive found never gave me a prob and have a life time warranty
brondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
Mainsail
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlerocket91 View Post
I'd assume that HIDs put out the most light but are the most fragile and ...
Halogen are more fragile than HID, and it requires more current to run them for equivalent light.

I'm running two 7" spot (drivers) beams and two 4" flood lights, all 35 watts.

4 x 35 = 140 watts. Only slightly more than one 130 watt halogen. They are also unbelievably bright. In fact, with all four lights on I can shut off the (high beams) headlights and you can't tell. The only disadvantage to HIDs is that it takes them about a minute to come up to full brightness. It hasn't been a problem for me though.

EDIT to add: You cannot just buy some housings and swap in some HID bulbs. HID requires a ballast to run them. On mine the ballast is inside the housing behind the bulb.

Unread 10-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
bottlerocket91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Those look great! What brand are those?
Unread 10-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
Mainsail
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlerocket91 View Post
Those look great! What brand are those?
I got them here. They make a 4" flood, a 7" driver, and a 9" driver.

So far they have been great, and appear to be built well. I'm just not too crazy about the orange trim ring.
Unread 10-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
ChrisYJ - Italy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nice lights there, can you post some pics with them on at night?
ChrisYJ - Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Mainsail
2005 WK 

This is just inside the garage, taken with my cell phone. I'm hoping to throw together a video someday which will feature the lights on at night on some of our pitch black Forest Service roads.

The drivers are centered straight down the road, while the floods are c0cked slightly outboard to light up more to the side.

Unread 10-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
karlo

Nice setup. Those extra lights look good on your WK.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 02:10 AM   #9
brondon
1988 XJ Cherokee 

EDIT to add: You cannot just buy some housings and swap in some HID bulbs. HID requires a ballast to run them. On mine the ballast is inside the housing behind the bulb

you misunderstood me yes you can buy the housing and swap the bulb given you are buying a whole hid kit ballast and all
brondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 03:39 AM   #10
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

My buddy just installed a 10" rigid LED light bar that looks amazing...
Stock lights
Infectious Off-Road.com • Information
LED 10" light bar

To me they are equal to most HIDs but need hardly any power and last MUCH longer. I will be getting a bar just so I can make it removable to use while camping. The power consumption is like nothing.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
bottlerocket91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
My buddy just installed a 10" rigid LED light bar that looks amazing...
Stock lights
LED 10" light bar

To me they are equal to most HIDs but need hardly any power and last MUCH longer. I will be getting a bar just so I can make it removable to use while camping. The power consumption is like nothing.
Gotta be a member to see the pics

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.