Off Road Lighting HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Off Road Lighting HELP!

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 09-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
ConnerJewell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Off Road Lighting HELP!

I have two fog lights on the rear bumper of my 1995 YJ and they have both been destroyed, long story. Anyways I was looking to replace them but have a problem because i have no idea what kind the were or the wattage ect... All I know is that there was a wire coming from the jeep to one light, out that light to the other and then to the frame. Is there anyway i can test the wattage coming from the wire or something?? Im no electrician. Thanks

ConnerJewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

No you can't tell wattage from teh remnants. And it sounds like it wasn't wired effectively.
You describes lights wired in series. That is not an acceptable way. Could start a fire or you will not get enough light out for the wattage they were. One was likely a bit brighter than the other.
Anyway KC and some other companies make a nice back up light that you could wire into your back up lights. No matter what you do I hope you use a relay with separate power for the lights in parallel. You could use the existing back up lights as the switch power to the relay.

I have the KC version for 5 years and couldn't be happier with the amount of light. I placed the mounting bracket between the rear bumper and frame. The lights are above the bumper pointed down where I needed it.

Hope this helps.

Tags
lights , wiring

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.