Is this not a direct replacement for factory TJ Subwoofer??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Is this not a direct replacement for factory TJ Subwoofer???

Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Evotj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Is this not a direct replacement for factory TJ Subwoofer???

Here is a 6.75" Kicker dual voice coil 2-ohm subwoofer...did alot of reading looks like nobody mentioned this one really.

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...=1219060406453

Evotj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Evotj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am looking for info if this would be a better option than spending $90 on the quadratec sub. Want to keep my amp and factory system functioning as it should without heavy modification just need something asap bc I removed my console and sub already and the factory sub was literally falling to pieces. Looking to upgrade and this looks like it might even fit depth wise w no modification to the speaker box. If this is a good fit as far as matching ohms I will also need an opinion on how to wire it in because I know the connectors are different. Don't know much about subs or amps any info will be much appreciated!
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
geroux
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My factory sub went bad years ago. Got a bazooka dual voice coil and after cutting the crap out of my sub box I got it in there. When I saw this...
http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_1001.htm
I bought and put it in.
If all you want to do is replace the crappy stock sub that probably rotted out after three years and are not looking to install more amps or want real booming bass... but just restore what you had, this is the way to go. It actually sounded better than the bazooka because it was the correct impedance for the stock system. It's a direct replacement. Just connect it up with the wires in the same place as the stock one.
geroux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Evotj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That is good to know that the quadratec is a good sub I have seen mixed reviews on it. This Kicker is the same size as factory @6.75" and is thinner at under 3" not 6.5" like the older kickers and looks to be the same specs and has really awesome reviews on crutchfield as far as TJ owners replacing the stock sub and this one sounding way better. I just wanted to make sure it would utilize all the power from the factory amp and don't see why it wouldn't if it is dvc 2-ohm like advertised. If I am going to spend the money I would like to upgrade the speaker but I am just trying to find out if this Kicker will work just like the factory sub as far as the power and wiring matching up.
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Evotj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok doing alot of talking to myself in this thread but I figured I would put this out there. Just got off the phone with Kicker technical support and this sub will in fact hook up the same exact way as the factory and utilize all the power of the factory amp in a much much better speaker. Basically could crank it and never worry about it blowing. I think this is the best solution to replacing the factory sub but will let you guys know after I get it installed!
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
geroux
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you've talked yourself into what you want to do with only one input.
geroux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
59limited
1998 ZJ 

how did that kicker sub work out? I have replaced mine with a pyramid 6.5 two times. they both blew with the stock system. did you buy the 2ohm? Thanks!
59limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Evotj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yea the kicker 2 ohm dvc 6.75" comp worked out great! Direct replacement just had to cut the normal pieces inside the box because it is a fatter sub hooked the 4 wires up just like they were + - on both sides and filled the box with polyfill. Sounds awesome can crank it loud and never have to worry about blowing it bc it hadles like 200w. To me it sounds just as good as my buddys 8" kicker in his jk. Overall really glad I found this sub over the quadratec replacement I originally found you won't be dissappointed.
Unread 12-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #9
59limited
1998 ZJ 

Sweet! I'm ordering it right now! Thank you!
59limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes it's a good fit wiring wise (DVC 2 ohm) but it's way too greedy for the OEM amp. Kicker makes a nice 1 ohm stable mini amp to match it, consider searching it put if you want a little upgrade.
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
Evotj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well I am sure you can always make something better but mine on the stock amp sounds pretty amazing to me. Much better upgrade over factory IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.