No power to amp? But capacitor does have power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > No power to amp? But capacitor does have power

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No power to amp? But capacitor does have power

My sound system quit working on me right before I left the country last year. Now I'm back and trying to fix it.

I have power coming from the battery and through a capacitor, then to the amp. The amp gets no power, but the capacitor does. Cap's ground is good, as is the amp's. No fuses are blown. Is my amp fried? Is there a way to check if it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Place a temporary jumper wire from the amp's power wire to the amp's remote + trigger. If the amp turns on, you most likely have an issue with your head unit's remote (amp trigger) wire.

Post back up with the results.

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Can I use any old wire for the jumper? or should it be a certain gauge?
Quote:
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.

Unread 06-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A piece of speaker wire will do.

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
Indy

Pretty much anything will work. The amps flowing through that wire are really really low. Its just enough that the amp knows the deck is on and it should do likewise.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I'll give it another look when I get home today and come back with the results.
Quote:

Unread 06-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Also try jumping the cap. For the most part caps are useless anyway. Mostly used to mask a problem.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcat400 View Post
Also try jumping the cap. For the most part caps are useless anyway. Mostly used to mask a problem.
I installed my cap to get rid of the speaker whine.

Still no results. Jumped between the power and remote wire, and also jumped the cap.
Quote:

Unread 06-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Indy

Capaciter wont fix whine, thats your grounds. Have a multimeter? If you have 12v at the amp, 12v on the remote wire, 0phms on your ground, verified by meter fuses and the amp wont power up, your amp is dead. If you dont have a meter, go buy one. Theyre cheap and you should have one anyway.

Unread 06-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Capaciter wont fix whine, thats your grounds
The capacitor fixed my whine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Have a multimeter? If you have 12v at the amp, 12v on the remote wire, 0phms on your ground, verified by meter fuses and the amp wont power up, your amp is dead. If you dont have a meter, go buy one. Theyre cheap and you should have one anyway.
No, but I'll buy one and try this. I was kind of avoiding doing this to avoid the truth that my amp is actually dead
Quote:

Unread 07-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, so possibly some good news? I have 12v at the amp power, but the remote wire barely wiggles the needle. Yet, the amp didn't turn on when I jumped the wire. Could this still mean its a problem with my head unit?
Quote:

Unread 07-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Scratch that. I pulled the dash apart, and the wires came apart where I spliced the remote into the head unit. I reconnected the wires, and now have 12v on the remote wire at the amp. Amp is still not turning on. Soooo dead amp?
Quote:

Unread 07-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTJ View Post
Scratch that. I pulled the dash apart, and the wires came apart where I spliced the remote into the head unit. I reconnected the wires, and now have 12v on the remote wire at the amp. Amp is still not turning on. Soooo dead amp?
Check all the fuses and grounds first. A loose ground or blown fuse on the amp itself can cause the amp not to work. Also make sure the wires to the speakers are connected and that your settings on the head and amp are correct. Amazing how many times I have had a buddy tell me a amp is dead when its a simple setting.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858 View Post
Check all the fuses and grounds first. A loose ground or blown fuse on the amp itself can cause the amp not to work. Also make sure the wires to the speakers are connected and that your settings on the head and amp are correct. Amazing how many times I have had a buddy tell me a amp is dead when its a simple setting.
All fuses are good, all grounds are good. I've checked and re checked them all. I wish it were just settings in my head unit. It was working for months, then all of a sudden stopped. I never changed any settings.
Quote:

Unread 07-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #15
Indy

If at the amp you have power, grounf and power on the remote and good fuses in the amp but nothing past, your amp is dead.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.