New Radio (double din) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > New Radio (double din)

Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
omgwtfbbqcopter

New Radio (double din)

This...

...will be going in this.

Starting tomorrow afternoon. Maybe. I have to help my friend finish the engine swap on his old honda, then I can play with my toy.

omgwtfbbqcopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
akread
2005 TJ Wrangler 

can't wait to see how your gonna make that fit nicely. post alot of pics if possible
akread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Hella
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akread View Post
can't wait to see how your gonna make that fit nicely. post alot of pics if possible
x2...was thinking about doing this soon cause my flip out cd player is getting sketchy..Keep us updated
Unread 01-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Deezul
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Have an alarm? If not next post will be this......was stolen from....this
2004 Khaki Rubicon. Jeeperman Custom Brushguard and 54" bumper, Kilby steering skid, Skidrow radiator skid, SRC Rockcrawler rocker guards, UFW Al Engine Skid, OME Shocks, JKS Quicker Discos, AEM Dryflo intake;KC Slimlight 130W Long range lights, ORO LiteDots and LitePlate, Banks Stainless Monster cat-back, Eclipse stereo, BA Speakers, Jeeperman Handles, Cobra CB, interior leds... more to come.

**R.I.P NOW TOTALED** 98TJ Sport, 30x9.5 BFG ATKO's on AR Outlaw II's, K&N FIPK, Borla Catback,
Green jeep club member #139
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
1966cj5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Def. need a good alarm, say a viper with the rf sensor for convertables
Unread 01-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a pic of a double din in a TJ.
nav.jpg   nav_exposed.jpg  
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
omgwtfbbqcopter

I got my JK mounts today too! I will be using these and cutting/forming the stock bezel around it.

2003X, that looks pretty good!
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
omgwtfbbqcopter

I didn't get much done today. After helping my friend with the engine in his honda (still isn't in yet.. we ran into a few issues) I started to tear apart the dashboard hoping to find the previous stall from the previous owner in good shape. I was wrong. There was so much stuff behind there that I now have to tear apart more of the dash than just the front bezel to get to everything.

It was a kenwood excelon 1 din radio that the faceplate didn't work until it was hot (after maybe 45 minutes or more of driving) but still produced sound. Once removed, I saw that the harness from the radio was spliced into an adapter harness that was plugged into the stock harness. However, there was a second set of speaker wires spliced into the radio adapter (looks like he ran new speaker wire) but then there were also 3 sets of RCA cables connected to the radio as well. The previous install implemented a Kenwood Excelon radio, 4-ch audiobahn amplifier, infinity speakers in the dash and sound bar, 2 10" JL audio subs that were not connected due to the amp frying. There were also 2 blue wires that i'm guessing were for the remote turn-ons, and a black wire which was probably for remote turn on as well. It also had a kenwood ipod interface buried in the dash somewhere too. And the whole dash is covered in fine dirt-dust.

I live in the barracks, so whenever I work on the Jeep I have to go to the auto skills center (it's warm in there) or a friend's house. However all my friends who have houses nearby don't mess around with audio. They just bring their cars to the local audio supplier and pay for everything. Therefore, they don't have any electrical tools.

So I tried going to the PX to pick up a soldiering iron, solder, wire loom, electrical tape (the good stuff) and heat shrink tubing. The PX didn't have either of these items. So i tried going to the AAFES Car Care center and they were closed.

Looks like it'll be a little while longer until I can start ripping stuff out. For now, my setup will consist of:

The new radio (Kenwood DDX-514)
The current infinity speakers
The current 4-ch amplifier connected to the speakers

Everything will eventually be replaced with Kenwood components. I have 2 monoblock KAC-8104D amplifiers from the install in my previous vehicle that I will be using in the jeep, but I don't know how I will install the subs yet. The PO gave me a dual 10" speaker box that was "made for the jeep" but I don't think I'm going to use it.
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
1966cj5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Any progress with this install? Dont forget to post some pics too!
Unread 01-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
omgwtfbbqcopter

No progress yet. The workload at my job has been too intense for me to get anything done. I actually got out of work really early today, but when I went to OBI (german home depot) to buy a soldering iron and stuff to repair the factory harness and make my adapter harness for the navi radio, they were closed. Everything was closed today due to a German holiday, so I couldn't even get to the shop to change my oil and grease my suspension! Hopefully tomorrow will be better than today so i can get the tools I need to make some progress!

Many pictures will be supplied. I may have to order some stuff from ebay so I can finish & clean up at a later date. As long as I have it bolted in the dash and working, that's all I care about at this moment. I've been without a radio for almost a week and it's killing me!

Edit: The motor swap on the honda is finished. I "technically" had a couple of hours to work on the audio, but I made a commitment to help with the engine swap until it was finished, so I did what was right and helped out. Got it done, so now I can focus on what I need to do!
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
omgwtfbbqcopter

Well today was a very nerve-wracking day. I had time to go to OBI and pick up the tools I need to solder up my radio harness adapter.

I went to the craft shop after work to change out my front brakes (they were squealing even after 600 miles) change the oil, and lube up the suspension. I took the top down too, because I've never taken a top down in a Jeep and i figured I'd take a shot at it. It was done inside a heated bay.

Anyway, while the top was down, I ran across the street to the ATM to get more cash from the ATM so I can pay the rental fee for using the bay. When I came back to pay, I put the top back up on the Jeep and drove home, only to find that my old radio and wire harness adapter were gone! Somebody went in the Jeep and stole my stuff while I was away from it! So much for integrity. A garage full of soldiers and somebody felt like stealing something that won't even work anyway.

So it looks like I don't have any updates today in lieu of this unfortunate event. Tomorrow I will go to the local audio shop and see if they have an adapter for a dodge/chrysler/jeep vehicle with the single connector (I believe it's 2002+?)

=(
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
1966cj5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thats sucks dude. I was in the military, used to take my bike to those bays to work on it. Its unfortunate that there are soldiers that still dont have integrity. But from things I saw, im not suprised. There are bad seeds in every line of work period. At least it wasnt your new stereo that got gone. Are you planning on an alarm or anything? You know now that anything is possible even on base
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
omgwtfbbqcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966cj5 View Post
Are you planning on an alarm or anything? You know now that anything is possible even on base
It currently has a proximity alarm, however not activated and without the key fob. I'm planning to remove all the **** he had installed (even the CB radio) and start over. The CB radio will be the only thing kept in there that was his in the end. All aftermarket equipment will be removed and re-done. It will just take some time because I've been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and will be seeing a discharge soon. Possibly starting the chapter process as early as february, and I need to save as much money as i can.

My future plans and current electronic modifications consist of:

Power window kit (currently installed, but I will be replacing the tapped power circuit with a separate circuit for itself)
Power lock kit (future)
Keyless entry/remote start/convertible alarm w/proximity (future)
Kenwood component speakers (future, to replace the infinity speakers)
Kenwood 4-ch amplifier (future, to replace the alpine 4-ch amp)
2 Kenwood 8104D amps (currently have from my last vehicle)
2 Kenwood subs (future, undecided on size, but will be mounted in the rear seat)
Custom length audio wires (future, to replace the wiring in the vehicle now)

And of course, the installation of this 2 din navi radio that is currently in progress.
Unread 01-08-2010, 06:32 AM   #14
omgwtfbbqcopter

I was able to pick up a new adapter harness this afternoon. It cost me something like 7.50. Pretty cheap.

The other 2 connectors are for the radio end. German purchased radios ALL use these 2 connectors for simplicity of installation. It's rare to purchase a radio from an audio shop that includes it's own pigtail. Pretty good system if you ask me

I pulled out the wires I will not be using such as mute and steering wheel control adapter turn-on lead by compressing the little lock tab on the molex. The wires just pull out after that.

And here's the finished product! It's been a while since I soldered anything, so I had to get the hang of it first. This is the shortest harness I've ever made. I'm sure I could go shorter, but separating the wires from each other to solder the 2 pigtails together gets pretty difficult.

Now I'm off to install the brackets on the radio, trim the interior dash cage, and fit in the new radio!
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #15
matikos98
2008 WK 

cant wait to see what it looks like

This is Sold but you can still look.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/m...2/#post7807352
matikos98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.