New LEDs and now my turn signals won't work. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > New LEDs and now my turn signals won't work.

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
ONDEDGE
1980 CJ5 

New LEDs and now my turn signals won't work.

I just finished installing led marker/turn signal lights on the front and rear of my 80 CJ-5. I checked the parking lights, turn signals, and hazards after installing each light. I installed the fronts first, then the tail lights. Everything worked fine until after I hooked up the last light.

Now, the parking lights all work. The hazards work, but flash at different frequencies depending on whether the parking lights are on and/or the engine is running.

If I activate the turn signals with the parking lights off, I get a slight illumination from 4 of the 24 LEDs in each light on the correct side, but no flash.

The brake lights work fine. I've re-checked the grounds on the last light and even ground down some additional metal to ensure I had a good ground.

I'm stumped. Thanks for any ideas.

ONDEDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
SirGCal

You need to change your flasher module over to an LED approved one. Your stock one has no load on it so it's not working properly. My guess is it's flashing so fast (lowering the DC voltage), only a few leds actually get enough power.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
ONDEDGE
1980 CJ5 

Thanks for the input. Any idea which flasher modules will work with the LEDs? I've read that buying a "heavy duty" truck flasher will work.

Also, is it the gray box that I'm replacing or the cylinder shaped one that's attached directly to the fuse panel? It sounds like I need to replace the unit on the fuse panel because the other one is a relay, right?

Sorry for one more question, but if it's the one on the fuse panel, I have 2 separate flashers, one for the signals and one for the hazards. Should I replace both?

Thanks again for the info,

Edge
ONDEDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
SirGCal

I'd need an FSM to know where and which your flasher unit is. There will be circuits for each but I believe only one flasher module. You could also try to modify your stock module. There should be however simply LED specific flasher modules available if you do some shopping for your vehicle.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 01:29 AM   #5
jeepjunkie85
1979 CJ7 

JP Magazine did a story on this problem a few months ago. If you go to there web site and look at "randys electrical corner articles" they tell you what to do and how to fix it.
jeepjunkie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:53 AM   #6
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Most Jeep vehicles use a standard #552 (light-duty) or #536 (heavy-duty, can switch/flash more lamp) flasher. Either of these may be replaced with the same part number for an electronic flasher (I used Tridon EL-12 for my replacements - not because I installed LED bulbs - yet - but beacuse I wanted to be able to tow without having my lamps go silly. I'll be building LED array lamps sometime in the future, and I'll document the project.)

The typical "silver can" flasher is called a "thermal" flasher, and works by a bimetallic strip. When current passes through the strip, it heats up and makes it flex. When it gets warm enough, it will flex enough to "break" the internal contacts and cool off. When it gets cool enough, it relaxes back and allows the contacts to "make."

An electronic flasher is a simple timer circuit controlling a relay. It doesn't care how many lamps are wired up to it (as long as it doesn't exceet the power/current rating of the flasher unit,) and it will work neatly with LEDs.

Of course, you've probably noted that a turn indicator bulb burning out is enough to change the flash rate. You won't get that "notice" of a bulb failure with an electronic flasher - since it will flash one lamp or twelve at the same rate (most are rated for up to twelve lamps per circuit.) So, regular lighting checks should be done (and they're something I do quarterly on all my vehicles as part of a "short inspection" anyhow. I do a comprehensive inspection - roughly what I used to do for commercial vehicles - annually.)

The typical electronic flasher unit should go for $10-15 at the local. If you have two flashers - one for turn indicators and one for hazzards - buy two.

The other advantage to electronic flashers? They tend to last far longer than "thermal" flashers - so you're getting your money's worth. Don't feel bad about spending it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.