Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

New Kenwood 1824 Marine Amp Giving Me Issues

992 views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  backupoffmefoo 
#1 ·
I've finished installing a new Kenwood Bluetooth amp in my CJ wired without a head unit just so it runs off Bluetooth. This is my second one I've gotten from a company that sells on EBay and Amazon. The first one I could only get to come on once so I sent it back and they sent me another no questions asked. Well, this one will come on and play for a few minutes, then it will cut off. When it does this, the speakers pop. I've redone the ground several ways, and the last way is like it is pictured. It's screwed to the Jeep floor with a ring terminal on bare metal. The ground is only a few inches. The amp is powered directly off the battery and the power control lead is wired to an ignition source. First time you turn it on, it plays and then stops after a few minutes. If I turn off the key and immediately try to turn it back on, it will come on and immediately go back off after a pop. If I wait about 10 minutes before starting, the amp will play for a few minutes then pop and go off again. The amp doesn't get hot at all.

I have it set up on 2 channels bridged. 2 6x9s on the wheel wells. The kicker speakers are supposed to be capable of the amp's output.

It's very frustrating. Maybe I've gotten 2 duds? I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
That will be my next step. I'll do that sometime today and report back. Thanks

While you are at it. I'd probably run it without bridged mode to see what that does as well. Again... just eliminating factors.

I'd also consider running it off the mounting apparatus you've built in case it's somehow ground out the amp. That is highly unlikely... but again... it eliminates one more thing.

Last thing: I'd re-run the amp remote power line to some thing else besides the ignition line. See if that circuit has some kind of problem.

Very last thing... do you have a spare amp lying around you could hook up and test on that config? That would be ideal in identifying the amp itself as the problem

#15 ·
I personally don't like harness powered amps that decide the awg of wire for me. If it's wired with 14, that's like trying to pressure wash your car through a stir straw. A pair of 4" speakers would probably put the power draw where it needs to be to not shut off.
If it's only a few inches it's worth a try, but there is probably a bigger issue at hand.

#18 ·
That's the way I had it hooked up at first. The amp wouldn't come on hooked up like that. I'm assuming the distance from the back seat to the battery was too far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.