New jeep; switch and radio mounts - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-07-2015, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
TuckerTerra

New jeep; switch and radio mounts

I am the proud owner of my buddie's old 2002 TJ, and I am getting rid of my 1974 CJ5.

It's a great jeep, quite an upgrade for sure. Something I am not used to though is a modern dash in my wheeling rig. We run VHF radios in our group. I can't find any clean spot to mount the radio where it is safe from mud/weather and out of the way.

Anyone can just bolt it to the top of the dash, I don't like that.

The other thing I don't like about the dash is there is no spot to easily add switches. My CJ5 had a custom dash insert that had 20 spots for carlin switches, so it was all set up for anything in the future. I have no idea where to install switches and gauges.

I need at least 5-6 switches. OBA compressor, Front ARB, Rear ARB, Front aux lighting #1, Front aux lighting #2, rear Aux light.

An OBA pressure gauge is pretty nice too.

I had such an awesome gauge/switch/radio setup in the CJ and I don't see how I am going to make it all work

I have looked into S-Pods and the Tuffy overhead consoles (maybe get the double, mount the VHF in one and a switch panel in the other. Doesnt help with the PSI gauge though).

Any Ideas?

Yes I have searched, but most people are just mounting 3 switches or a single cb radio, ect.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-09-2015, 07:00 PM
elb
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I don't know what kind of radio you're mounting, but I mounted a Yaesu FT-7800R under the steering column, then bent a piece of sheet metal to put the head just over the steering wheel on the dash. It's a no-drill mount, and all of the wiring routes through the dash, existing looms (for the antenna, passenger side rear corner) or roll cage (speaker). Everything is reasonably well shielded, as the head is in a pocket between the dash and windshield and the body is pretty far up under the dash below.

For switches, the four factory spaces above the 12V power in the center column of the dash and the ashtray blank to the right of that are the most obvious locations; and if you remove that panel entirely and replace it with a piece of sheet metal you have tons of space. You'll also see a lot of photos on the forum of switches mounted to the trim piece under the steering column or in various places on the center console (particularly the tray forward of the cupholders/e-brake).

For the gauges, there are aftermarket pods that replace the trim piece on the A pillar, as well as that mount to the change tray area above the dash. Search Quadratec/JCW/etc.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-10-2015, 10:55 AM
Lifesaver50

2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elb View Post
I don't know what kind of radio you're mounting, but I mounted a Yaesu FT-7800R under the steering column, then bent a piece of sheet metal to put the head just over the steering wheel on the dash. It's a no-drill mount, and all of the wiring routes through the dash, existing looms (for the antenna, passenger side rear corner) or roll cage (speaker). Everything is reasonably well shielded, as the head is in a pocket between the dash and windshield and the body is pretty far up under the dash below.

For switches, the four factory spaces above the 12V power in the center column of the dash and the ashtray blank to the right of that are the most obvious locations; and if you remove that panel entirely and replace it with a piece of sheet metal you have tons of space. You'll also see a lot of photos on the forum of switches mounted to the trim piece under the steering column or in various places on the center console (particularly the tray forward of the cupholders/e-brake).

For the gauges, there are aftermarket pods that replace the trim piece on the A pillar, as well as that mount to the change tray area above the dash. Search Quadratec/JCW/etc.
Slightly off topic.... does anyone knof of a replacement swith pillar for a WK? I'd love to have my switches up where I can easily see them. I tried searching but could not find any for my '07 Grand Cherokee. Any help woud be appreciated.

"That others might live."
post #4 of 5 Old 09-23-2015, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
TuckerTerra

This is what I ended up doing...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150923_212103496.jpg   IMG_20150923_211917815.jpg   IMG_20150923_214619974.jpg  
post #5 of 5 Old 09-23-2015, 09:30 PM
elb
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.