NEW Cibié Headlights & Silverstar Fog Light Bulbs (PICS)! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > NEW Cibié Headlights & Silverstar Fog Light Bulbs (PICS)!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

NEW Cibié Headlights & Silverstar Fog Light Bulbs (PICS)!

Hey guys,

Since a lot of us were talking about upgrading our TJ's headlights recently, I went ahead and did a little write-up about my thoughts so far on my new ones. My initial post was in the Electrical section...

Here's my parts list (all from Daniel Stern Lighting, unless otherwise noted):
  • (2) 7" Convex/Dome-face H4 high/low beam headlamps: $59/ea = $118
  • (2) 60/55W Ultra High Efficacy Plus 50 H4 bulbs: $17/ea = $34
  • (1) RIK-2 kit for two sealed beam or H4 headlamps: $45
  • (2) Silverstar H3ST foglight bulbs (from local Advanced Auto Parts): ~$20/ea = ~$40
  • TOTAL (including ~$10 shipping) = ~$247
All prices are in USD. RIK-2 relay wiring upgrade kit is the correct kit for all TJs.

Write-up for headlights:
  1. Remove three Torx-head screws that hold headlight bezel, remove headlight bezel.
  2. Remove four Torx-head screws that hold headlamp retainer ring, remove entire headlamp assembly.
  3. The headlamp retainer ring seperates from the actual headlamp. Pry carefully towards the front of the headlamp. This will transfer to your new headlamp to hold it in place.
  4. Disconnect the bulb socket on the back side of the headlamp.
  5. Make appropriate connections to new H4 bulb socket (if you're changing your socket.) Black = ground (On both headlamps. Looking at the socket's front, on the right side vertically). Orange/Red = High Beam (On both headlamps. Looking at the socket's front, on the left side vertically. ). Violet/White = Low Beam (On both headlamps. Looking at the socket's front, on the top horizontally). The driver's left headlight has TWO High Beam wires (Orange/Red) coming from the socket...DC, for some reason, daisy-chained the driver's right high beam wire from the driver's left headlamp. Make sure you get BOTH high beam wires connected on the driver's left headlamp or the driver's right high beam won't work!!
  6. Open bulb retainers on back side of new headlamps and insert new H4 bulbs. DO NOT TOUCH THE BULB GLASS. Oils from your skin can shorten bulb life. Close bulb retainers.
  7. Install old headlamp retainer ring on new headlamp. Make sure the slit in the headlamp retainer is aligned correctly...it should be directly verticle on the 6 o'clock position or the headlamp will be cock-eyed.
  8. Screw new headlamp into position (four Torx-head screws on retainer ring).
  9. Carefully plug bulb socket into bulb. Test headlamps (low and high beams).
  10. Install headlight bezels (three Torx-head screws).
Write-up for fog lights:
  1. Remove three Torx-head screw on front of fog light.
  2. Seperate front and back halves of fog light.
  3. Unhook bulb connector (there might be shrink-wrap to cut away).
  4. Undo bulb retainers, switch in new H3 bulbs. AGAIN, BE CAREFULLY NOT TO TOUCH THE BULB GLASS WITH YOUR SKIN. Oils from your skin can shorten bulb life. Close bulb retainers.
  5. Re-attach bulb power connection.
  6. Assemble front and back halves of fog light.
  7. Screw front half back in using the three Trox-head screws.
REMEMBER TO PROPERLY AIM NEW HEADLIGHTS AND FOG LIGHTS AFTER INSTALLATION!! Aiming instructions can be found here on Dan's site.

PICTURES

Parts:

Headlights: Stock is on viewer's left, upgraded is on viewer's right. Both on low beam.

Fog Lights: Even though it's harder to tell, stock is on the viewer's left, upgraded is on the viewer's right.

ALL UPGRADED

Last edited by C2U5H; 03-28-2006 at 06:36 PM..
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
biffstephens

Hurry on the upload...

Waiting....tick tock tick tock.....

Visit Offroadoverstock.com [/URL]

Biff
biffstephens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

BEAM PATTERNS

Sorry, no before pics since I did the install in the day time. If you want a comparison take your stocker up against the garage door! ALL LIGHTS ARE AIMED CORRECTLY.

Low Beams: Great cut-off! Fogs off for first two, fogs on for the last one.

Fog Lights alone: They're a little brighter than the picture conveys.

High Beams: Great spread and intensity! Fogs off for the first two, fogs on for the last two.

THOUGHTS
I know everyone says it, but I'm going to, too...THE BEST UPGRADE FOR THE MONEY! You really don't understand how much the stock TJ headlights stink until you upgrade them. I used to drive at night with the fog lights on along with the headlights...not anymore! I can see much further down the road with the low beams alone, and can see signs illuminating on the side of the road much better (along with everything else on the side of the road). Foreground illumination is GREAT, and high beam throw is superb. The high beams throw light much further down the road, and the spread illuminates everything in front of the TJ.

I'm VERY happy with the install time (about an hour), price, quality...everything! Daniel Stern Lighting made it very easy! Kudos!

REMEMBER, THIS IS WITHOUT THE UPGRADED WIRING HARNESS! Because I'm at school, I don't have the tools or the time to install the harness until this summer. I'll be sure to do another write-up then, though!

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer as best I can.
~J

Last edited by C2U5H; 03-28-2006 at 06:57 PM..
Unread 03-28-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

So what has everyone else done headlight or foglight wise?

~J
Unread 03-28-2006, 08:04 PM   #5
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good. I installed Silverstar headlights and I can notice the white light difference. Thanks for the fog light information, I just went on E-bay and bought 2 Silverstar fog light bulbs.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:15 AM   #6
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

No problem! Glad someone got something out of my 20-minute-to-create post! LOL.

~J
Unread 03-29-2006, 10:19 AM   #7
REDLYNER
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good write up!
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #8
phydeaux
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinTJ99
So what has everyone else done headlight or foglight wise?

~J
Sometimes my left fog doesn't come on. When it happens, I get out and give it a small spanking, usually two small smacks. It comes right on.
Empty
Every
Pocket
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2006, 10:28 PM   #9
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydeaux
Sometimes my left fog doesn't come on. When it happens, I get out and give it a small spanking, usually two small smacks. It comes right on.
The technical term for this technique is 'concussive maintenance'. Fido, I think you have a bad filament.

Yes, the H4s are a thing worth doing. KaiserJeep is a great Cibie fan; my experience is that they are harder to find, and more expensive, than Hellas.

Personally, I try not to buy anything French, not that the Deutschers are much better.

Nice writeup, Jeepin'.
Moon
'07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD-da kid's ride
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2006, 08:56 AM   #10
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Might as well throw in a link for future cross-referencing...MY HEADLIGHT HARNESS UPGRADE WRITE-UP.

Enjoy,
~J
Unread 04-30-2006, 09:38 AM   #11
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jeepin', the improvement you saw with the enhanced beam pattern of the E-codes will be matched by the improvement with the harness and up-rated bulbs. I'm running the Hella 100/90w Xenon Blue, which isn't blue at all. Produces very white light, about $30 @ pair (www.rallylights.com).

Yours appear to be set conservatively from your photos, which is the way to do it, and even more important if you boost the watts. People will tell you if they are getting blasted.

Don't forget a spare bulb for your glovebox.
Moon
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
Unread 05-03-2006, 08:47 PM   #12
wwiihistory

a note on the silverstars...

Last year I put in a set of silverstars into my wifes car, made sure I did not touch bulb and leave any skin oils on them. They were sweet! turned night into day. Around 8 months later (I might be off a few months) , one burnt out.

I was ticked that it lasted so short. I emailed Sylvania about it and they said that they typically last about a year. A friggin year!?!?!. The originals in her car were working and 3 years old! They said to mail it to them and they would refund me the $20. One week later the opposite side went. AArrrrrrggggg..

never did send them in....

95 Sahara, 4.0L, 5 spd, Olive/Tan, HT,HD's, 31's,3.07s

Military Jeep club member 1941,1942,1943,1944, and 1945
wwiihistory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #13
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiihistory
a note on the silverstars...

Last year I put in a set of silverstars into my wifes car, made sure I did not touch bulb and leave any skin oils on them. They were sweet! turned night into day. Around 8 months later (I might be off a few months) , one burnt out.

I was ticked that it lasted so short. I emailed Sylvania about it and they said that they typically last about a year. A friggin year!?!?!. The originals in her car were working and 3 years old! They said to mail it to them and they would refund me the $20. One week later the opposite side went. AArrrrrrggggg..

never did send them in....
Halogen H-4 bulbs should be good for 2-300 hours, but that is of couse an average. Turning you lights ON before you start your engine, or OFF after shutdown will shorten bulb life, as will an overactive alternator.
It has been my experience that halogen bulbs normally last a long time; two hundred hours translates into a lot of drving. Higher output bulbs have a shorter life expectancy.
WWII, your wife's care doesn't have daytime running lights? The factory bulbs in my bride's VW failed within a week of each other when the car was three years old; no shame in that, but it does have the DRLs.
Moon
Unread 05-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #14
mylt1

been running the silverstars for well over a year, may even be two and no burnouts yet. most of my driving is at night as well so i am very pleased with them. of course i have said that and one will blow tomorrow but thats ok i have replacements.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.