Needing resistor for 1995 gc limited inifinity radio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Needing resistor for 1995 gc limited inifinity radio

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
duramax-rob
1995 ZJ 

Needing resistor for 1995 gc limited inifinity radio

Thanks for the welcome. I took my radio to an auto electronics place here in Mt. Home, Ar. along with how to solder the bad joints. They told me they also located two bad resistors on a board. Does anyone have or know where to buy those? They are a flat resister that are soldered on each end(which is also flat) and one has a marking of 150 on the top and the other is marked 151. One might be about 2x2 millimeter and the other 2x2 mm. I think they are white on the bottom. The display was out on the radio. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Rob

duramax-rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Look online for smd resistor. You need to find the size they are then you can use the number to Id the ohm value.

Or the better idea get a aftermarket radio that will out perform the stock one.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
duramax-rob
1995 ZJ 

I was wondering if anyone on this sight might have the resistors I need? Any help would be great.
Thanks Rob
Unread 10-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
duramax-rob
1995 ZJ 

Bump:
Unread 10-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You or the shop need to identify the electrical characteristics/values or part numbers of the resistors, and then you can order them from an electronics parts supplier.

An easier solution would be to find a good used radio, or as suggested, spend a few bucks on a new one.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Those sound like Surface Mount resistors which are not easily replaced by the average electronics hobbiest. If they are like the many I've seen, I probably wouldn't chance trying to replace them unless they are high wattage & thus big enough to unsolder/resolder.

However, two resistors blowing make me think something else is wrong which made them blow... which is likely enough of a problem where I'd probably just cut my losses and replace that radio with either a used replacement or a good quality aftermarket radio. My bet is with your radio's model # which is likely on the front panel in very small print somewere, that you could probably find a used but working replacement on eBay.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like 0805 or 1008 SMD resistors. Where I work anything that small we are usually doing under a microscope.

Like others have said just get a new head unit.

If you really want to replace them the markings are as follows:

151 = 150 ohms
150 = 15 ohms

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
duramax-rob
1995 ZJ 

To freeskier93 and everyone else thank you for your time and consideration on the replies. You all have helped very much. One last question is where would be a place to purchase them without buying a whole reel or roll of them for mucho money? any help would be appreciated. This was my only brother that passed away last may and I'm trying to keep it all original for kind of a reasonable price. We had a lot of fun with it.

Yes they are the flat resistor and the business that is replacing them here in Mt. Home Arkansas is pretty good at auto electronics and computers. The more legwork I can do for them the less they will charge me. This guy and his son are from England and have been here about 7 years and are very nice. Trying to help out the local businesses if I can.

Thanks Rob
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

First step is nailing down a size. This chart might be able to help with that.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:..._by_Zureks.svg

As far as obtaining them, personally I like Mouser. Often times they sell cut ribbons and allow a minimum of 1 resistor. These things are pennies on the dollar though so it's wiser to buy 10 or so. If Mouser doesn't have it then Digi-Key is my next stop.

If you can find a place that sells them locally that works too, but it would have to be a small independently own electronics shop. Last I checked nobody like Radioshack sells SMD stuff.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.