Need help hooking up a Firestik CB Antenna - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-14-2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
hfa8592
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Need help hooking up a Firestik CB Antenna

I bought a small Uniden CB radio and a firestik antenna off craigslist and now can't figure out how to wire up the firestik. D'oh!

The antenna has a bolt in the bottom where you are supposed to hook the cable up.

I had a fab shop weld a tab for the antenna onto my rear bumper, crimped an eyelet onto the end of the cable, then bolted it to the bottom of the antenna, which is bolted to the tab on the bumper. Since the tab was welded onto the bumper, I am certain it's grounded. But, I can't get any reception at all. I have gone out on the highway and scanned all the CB channels, adjusted the squelch and rf gain and just get static.

I have checked Firestik's website and even called them (since they are right here in Phoenix), but I just can't understand their schematic diagrams.

I know that I have the radio itself hooked up properly....

Can anyone give me a simple explanation of how to wire up the friggen firestik antenna?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!!!

Scott

Scott
'93 YJ, 4" spring lift, 4.0 I6, NV4500, Atlas II, SYE, Currie/Ford 9" rear axle, ARBs front & rear, Kilby OBA, 33" Wrangler MTRs, custom cage, custom bumpers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-14-2012, 12:24 PM
DuncsJeeps

2006 XK Commander 

Garage
I have a Firestik. This is what I used to mount it...

What are the rest of the components you bought with it? where are you having problems (radio end or antenna end)?

There are instructions for all of these on the firestik website.

I hope this helps

Coax http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/k4-8r18.htm
Mount http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/SS-204.htm
Antenna http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/FL3-FL4.htm
Spring http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/SS-3M.htm
Attached Thumbnails
image-405592700.jpg  
post #3 of 8 Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Skyryder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

There has to be a isolation insulator washer, usually plastic but sometimes made of fiber installed between the base of your antenna and the mounting tab.
While you need a good ground for the mount, the ant itself is not grounded.

The shielded (outer) section of the coax should be grounded at the mount,
The center portion of the coax should be attached to the antenna's (ungrounded) base or stud.

Skyryder
'97 Black TJ - 4 banger - 5 speed
Proud user of the "K.I.S.S." Principle.
Black Jeep Society #264
post #4 of 8 Old 02-14-2012, 04:16 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You need:
  • CB Antenna
  • CB Antenna mounting stud
  • CB Antenna bracket of some type
  • CB antenna coax cable that matches your CB antenna mounting stud

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
hfa8592
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, that all explains what I am doing wrong. I find those instructions on Firestik's website to be pretty confusing. I didn't isolate the antenna from the ground and the antenna didn't come with some of these parts. Any idea where I can get an isolation insulation washer like that?

Thanks again guys for your help...

Scott
'93 YJ, 4" spring lift, 4.0 I6, NV4500, Atlas II, SYE, Currie/Ford 9" rear axle, ARBs front & rear, Kilby OBA, 33" Wrangler MTRs, custom cage, custom bumpers.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 09:24 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any CB shop, on the Google or Amazon.com , most truck stops, any Ham Radio store, and some Radio Shack stores. You will have to buy a complete stud assembly.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 AM
DuncsJeeps

2006 XK Commander 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfa8592 View Post
Thanks, that all explains what I am doing wrong. I find those instructions on Firestik's website to be pretty confusing. I didn't isolate the antenna from the ground and the antenna didn't come with some of these parts. Any idea where I can get an isolation insulation washer like that?

Thanks again guys for your help...
If you didn't get the plastic isolation washer with your parts. You should be able to contact the reseller and they will probably just send you one in the mail.

If you don't wan to wait for that. You could probably also get it from your local hardware store. It's just pretty much just a washer that is durable and not metal.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-23-2016, 03:05 AM
-Syntax-
300k Mile Club

2007 WK 

Garage
When I installed my first CB radio onto my WJ I had the same problem, used a Firestik kit ss204a and a Firestik antenna that had the ground strap at the bottom. Ended up taking it to a Ham radio shop. Right away they noticed that I was missing the white plastic insulating washer. Told me my entire antenna was being grounded. They added the washer, they didnt connect the ground wire that was spiraled around the antenna. But my radio worked great for years..

I put a 2' extension with a coupler at the front so I could add a SWR meter inline and remove it without changing the length of the cable.

Tags
antenna , firestik , radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.