Need help hooking up a Firestik CB Antenna - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Need help hooking up a Firestik CB Antenna

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
hfa8592
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Need help hooking up a Firestik CB Antenna

I bought a small Uniden CB radio and a firestik antenna off craigslist and now can't figure out how to wire up the firestik. D'oh!

The antenna has a bolt in the bottom where you are supposed to hook the cable up.

I had a fab shop weld a tab for the antenna onto my rear bumper, crimped an eyelet onto the end of the cable, then bolted it to the bottom of the antenna, which is bolted to the tab on the bumper. Since the tab was welded onto the bumper, I am certain it's grounded. But, I can't get any reception at all. I have gone out on the highway and scanned all the CB channels, adjusted the squelch and rf gain and just get static.

I have checked Firestik's website and even called them (since they are right here in Phoenix), but I just can't understand their schematic diagrams.

I know that I have the radio itself hooked up properly....

Can anyone give me a simple explanation of how to wire up the friggen firestik antenna?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!!!

Scott

Unread 02-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
DuncsWK
2008 WK 

I have a Firestik. This is what I used to mount it...

What are the rest of the components you bought with it? where are you having problems (radio end or antenna end)?

There are instructions for all of these on the firestik website.

I hope this helps

Coax http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/k4-8r18.htm
Mount http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/SS-204.htm
Antenna http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/FL3-FL4.htm
Spring http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/SS-3M.htm
image-405592700.jpg  
DuncsWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Skyryder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

There has to be a isolation insulator washer, usually plastic but sometimes made of fiber installed between the base of your antenna and the mounting tab.
While you need a good ground for the mount, the ant itself is not grounded.

The shielded (outer) section of the coax should be grounded at the mount,
The center portion of the coax should be attached to the antenna's (ungrounded) base or stud.
Black Jeep Society #264
Skyryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You need:
  • CB Antenna
  • CB Antenna mounting stud
  • CB Antenna bracket of some type
  • CB antenna coax cable that matches your CB antenna mounting stud

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
hfa8592
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, that all explains what I am doing wrong. I find those instructions on Firestik's website to be pretty confusing. I didn't isolate the antenna from the ground and the antenna didn't come with some of these parts. Any idea where I can get an isolation insulation washer like that?

Thanks again guys for your help...
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any CB shop, on the Google or Amazon.com , most truck stops, any Ham Radio store, and some Radio Shack stores. You will have to buy a complete stud assembly.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
DuncsWK
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfa8592 View Post
Thanks, that all explains what I am doing wrong. I find those instructions on Firestik's website to be pretty confusing. I didn't isolate the antenna from the ground and the antenna didn't come with some of these parts. Any idea where I can get an isolation insulation washer like that?

Thanks again guys for your help...
If you didn't get the plastic isolation washer with your parts. You should be able to contact the reseller and they will probably just send you one in the mail.

If you don't wan to wait for that. You could probably also get it from your local hardware store. It's just pretty much just a washer that is durable and not metal.
DuncsWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna , firestik , radio

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.