need help, electrical problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > need help, electrical problem

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 04-05-2006, 07:18 AM   #1
cutlass1972

need help, electrical problem

I was driving down the road yesterday and out of the blue my jeep beeps (just like when the gas light comes on), my voltage gauge pegs (passed the 19v mark), the check gauges light comes on (strange rapidly oscillating / pulsating light not quite solidly lit), and the check engine light turns off (had been on, more on that later).

I switched the key off and back on real quick (not even long enough for the engine to die) and all is well again. The check engine light does not come back on (as if the pcm had been reset) but my trip odometer did not reset. I pulled over and switched the key off and on 3 times to view any error codes and there where none (other than a 12 which is from unhooking my battery a while back). I then went on about my business thinking it might be a one-time fluke.

I was on my way into work this morning and it happened again. Shortly after my check engine light came back on.

Some background on the check engine light:
Some of you might remember that I had an issue with an error code 25, idle air intake module. I replaced the module with one from a junkyard and reset my pcm, the light would come back on after a while. I was already starting to suspect some computer problems back then.

I am now starting to wonder if my computer is going south and was causing the error code 25 in the first place? Any input?

5 speed
31x10.5x15
emerald green with a spice top
cutlass1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2006, 07:52 AM   #2
cutlass1972

another question,
I have called around a bit to see how much a junkyard computer will cost me and had one guy tell me I needed the "numbers" off of the computer. He claimes that just because my jeep is a 97 2.5l manual doesnt mean that the computer will be the same as his 97 2.5l manual. Sounds like crap to me?
5 speed
31x10.5x15
Unread 04-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #3
cutlass1972

sureley someone has some insight?
5 speed
31x10.5x15
Unread 04-05-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
de6w6it

If it's same year, same motor, same tranny, same options, I can't imagine why the computer wouldn't work....
de6w6it is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
Hunter9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlass1972
another question,
I have called around a bit to see how much a junkyard computer will cost me and had one guy tell me I needed the "numbers" off of the computer. He claimes that just because my jeep is a 97 2.5l manual doesnt mean that the computer will be the same as his 97 2.5l manual. Sounds like crap to me?
Not crap, you do need numbers off the original to get a replacement from anywhere (stealership can probably use the vin or EOM #). The number will indicate things like engine, trans, gear ratio, options that would effect anything, etc.
RE 3.5 SF, 1" BL, 1" MML, 285/75/16 (33") MTRs, 16x8 MT Classic Locks, 4.10 gears, Lockrite Front, Warn Front and Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, Warn Diff Skids, Rock-it Man Rockers, Jeeperman Front Hoop, M8000, A to Z winch mount, Hella 500s, H4 Conversion

[COLOR="Red"]Former 3.07 Gears Club Member #1[/CENTER][/COLOR]
Hunter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
cutlass1972

hmmm, thanks for the info... can anyone tell me where these numbers are located (yes, I know on the computer, but more specifically, maybe the format to expect)?
5 speed
31x10.5x15
Unread 04-05-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a short to ground somewhere.

Have you traced the wires and harness to check for breaks, abrasion, or corrosion in any connections?

You'll probably want to at least follow the wires back from the alternator and IAC motor (which I think yours has, if not the air intake module), you'll probably find that they meet in a common bundle where at some point there might be something funky.

I just cringe when I hear 'replace the computer' because so many times that isn't the problem at all. Yours does sound like a wierd one though.

The code 12 should clear after 50 key cycles - how long ago did you have it disconnected?

Tom
Unread 04-05-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
cutlass1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaho
The code 12 should clear after 50 key cycles - how long ago did you have it disconnected?
That is another odd one, I have intentionally turned the key off, on, off, on, off etc... 50+ times attempting ot clear it and it never goes away. I assumed that it needed to be "started" and turned off 50 times, I didnt want to put that kind of wear on my starter so I just waited.
5 speed
31x10.5x15
Unread 04-05-2006, 11:39 AM   #9
redvett94

You simply wasteing money replaceing parts, let alone useing used parts. The PCM does no control the cluster. I suspect you either have a bad cluster problem or battery & ground problems.
Unread 04-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #10
cutlass1972

just to add another piece to the puzzle, my idle has always seemed a little high to me. It usually runs ablout 1100 -1200 rpm at idle. the idle holds at about 2000 rpm when I am coming to a stop until I come to a COMPLETE stop (even with the clutch in), then it drops to 1100-1200 rpm.
5 speed
31x10.5x15
Unread 04-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #11
harry61

[QUOTE=cutlass1972]I was driving down the road yesterday and out of the blue my jeep beeps (just like when the gas light comes on), my voltage gauge pegs (passed the 19v mark), the check gauges light comes on (strange rapidly oscillating / pulsating light not quite solidly lit), and the check engine light turns off (had been on, more on that later).

Mine did/does the same thing. I've got the same jeep as you, to include color and top. I'm also getting a "charging system overload" OBDII code from the shop handheld OBD computer. I've never had a code pop up in the odo area.

I've chased all the grounds, to no avail. The voltage regulator (VR) is not in the alternator. It is part of the PCM. One thing that everyone seems to agree on is that everyone has a different idea on how to resolve this.

I find that when I'm driving about and the Volt Meter (VM) pegs, if I stop and let the engine idle, the VM will return to the 14 mark. I used 3 different mediums to monitor my charging system: A hand held volt meter, a roll about Snap on shop charger/load tester, and the handheld OBDII hand held computer. the following voltages were recorded: HHVM: 13.6V. Snap On: 12.6V. OBDII: 13.6 to 15.3V. This happened in the shop, with me revving the engine. I'm going with the OBDII because that's what the computer thinks is happening, and the Snap On because that's what's reall being passed. I later took the jeep out on the highway with the OBDII attached, and as the VM pegged to 19v, the OBDII remained at 13.6 to 15.3 Volts.

What does this mean? I think the PCM is hosed, in some manner. I just run around with the headlights on (when I remember to), providing more load to the system, and this keeps the VM from pinging. If your system is pinging at 19V (according to the VM), it's charging the battery too much, which could lead to your battery exploding. I know that my VM is incorrect when it shoots to 19v, so I'm not worried about the battery exploding.

Were I you, I'd have my charging system checked, if at all possible, when the needle is pegged.

Keep me informed of any luck you have with resolving this situation. The numbers for the PCM are on the front of the PCM, underneath the three plugs. I think there's a bar code there also.

good luck,

Harry
harry61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #12
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

I highly doubt that it is computer related. Get a good scan of the codes. Auto zone does it for FREE. Stay awawy from JUNK YARD obdII parts. Look at your ground from the battery. Seeing that it is a 97, the cable probably needs replacing.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2006, 01:21 PM   #13
harry61

I have not yet replaced my battery cables, and to be truthful, I haven't really checked them out all that much besides for spraying the terminals with a solution of baking soda and water in a spray bottle. Thanks for reminding me to do this.

Harry61
harry61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2006, 01:54 PM   #14
cutlass1972

I will check mine out also
5 speed
31x10.5x15

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.