Need help with attaching CB antenna (SO239 connector?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Need help with attaching CB antenna (SO239 connector?)

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 04-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
fantomas
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Need help with attaching CB antenna (SO239 connector?)

So I'm getting the parts together to install a 102" whip antenna. It'll be attached to a Hustler SSM-1 ball mount. I bought an 18' RG-58A/U cable with two PL-259 connectors. The ball mount appears to have a lug for connecting to the coax. I've searched pretty extensively but maybe I'm using the wrong search terms. Is there an adapter that has I guess an SO-239 that goes to spade terminals? Or do I need to buy a different cable? Or is it as easy as chopping off a PL-239 connecter and soldering on some short wire and spade connectors myself?

fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's that easy, cut off the PL-259, strip back the insulation, and put some crimp rings on the coax cable bare copper wires.

cb.jpg

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #3
fantomas
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I know just about absolutely nothing regarding CB's so I didn't want to fubar anything with it.
Unread 04-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Don't forget to check your SWR after you get everyting hooked up. My 102 stainless had a flat 1/1 but I'm thinking I got lucky.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #5
fantomas
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quick follow up question: Is the braided outer shield wire grounded to the vehicle body or does there have to be some sort of isolation for it?
Unread 05-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
prerunner1982
1993 XJ Cherokee 

The outer braided shield is grounded to the body through the antenna mount.

1993 XJ Sport 2 door 4x4

Red Dirt Jeeps
prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
No harm in protecting it with dielectric grease or encasing in heat shrink tubing though.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Solder a PL-259 and Ring Connectors to RG-8X (Min…:
YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
capt205 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
RARECJ8

102" is good for RF but bad for many trail rides. In fact, out here in the old west many formal 4x4 events specifically prohibit the long whips. Instead i use a 19 inch tall 2meter/440 uhf antenna for all my comm needs.

god luck

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
dodge16vrt
1998 ZJ 

Interesting....Why would they prohibit the best type of antenna?
dodge16vrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #11
RARECJ8

Reasons are not known. Likely a safety issue. See many rigs with the tip secured over in an arc. Be interesting to do an antenna performance analysis with up v. looped over. But the formal, larger events require a tech inspection to proceed and a 102 will get the no go. I can imagine a long tip swinging to and fro potentially injuring obstacle spectators, more so on a tight trail. But I don't make the rules.

Shameless plug: getting a ham license is uber-easy and offers a vastly superior world for trail commo

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #12
prerunner1982
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge16vrt View Post
Interesting....Why would they prohibit the best type of antenna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
I can imagine a long tip swinging to and fro potentially injuring obstacle spectators, more so on a tight trail. But I don't make the rules.
Exactly.. I have had mine lay over and almost touch the car next to me in high winds, I can only imagine hitting a ledge, popping the front of the Jeep up on it, and my antenna whipping around. It has a long reach and would leave a mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
Shameless plug: getting a ham license is uber-easy and offers a vastly superior world for trail commo
Yes sir... Agreed.

1993 XJ Sport 2 door 4x4

Red Dirt Jeeps
Unread 05-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #13
dodge16vrt
1998 ZJ 

I can see maybe getting tapped with the antenna but I think that is the least of your worries when you are off roading, lol.
dodge16vrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #14
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Spectator safety is the reason 102" whips are not allowed.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #15
prerunner1982
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge16vrt View Post
I can see maybe getting tapped with the antenna but I think that is the least of your worries when you are off roading, lol.
Not your safety... as Tim said the safety of those watching you.

1993 XJ Sport 2 door 4x4

Red Dirt Jeeps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.