Need help asap. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Need help asap.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 04-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
jeepjunkie21
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Need help asap.

Alright well I leave college to go back home on Tuesday. For the past month ive been having electrical problems. I got the battery and alternator tested a few weeks ago and they were fine.. So I cleaned the terminals and cables and it turns out it is just a bad connection connection on the positive terminal of the battery. and now the positive cable is permanently loose on the battery terminal even when tightened all the way down. And last night for the first time the battery voltage gauge read to be higher than 14V while it was running and as soon as i turned on the heating unit and defrosters the radio shut off and all of the dash lights shut off. They came back on as soon as i shut the other stuff off. So what i need help with is a way to fix the terminal problem because as of right now it takes two people to start the thing (One to turn the key and another to hold the cable in a certain position so it will start) and i dont know if the gauge reading higher than 14V would be a problem with an alternator or battery? I know this is long and has some tangents but i need help asap.

jeepjunkie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You got 2 options...replace the lug on the end of the battery cable or replace the whole cable. Every time you clean the posts you remove a little lead from both parts till they don't have a good fit anymore. Once you have a solid connection to the terminals I bet the other issues will go away, fix the cable first and see what happens.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
racecrazed85

Post shims would be a quick, cheap and easy fix. They just simply fit over the top of the current post to add thickness to the diameter of the post. The best fix however is to replace the cable or cable end.
racecrazed85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
jeepjunkie21
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I just went with shims for the time being until I'm home and can replace the cable entirely.
jeepjunkie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjunkie21 View Post
Thanks! I just went with shims for the time being until I'm home and can replace the cable entirely.
Shoot by Sears, or an auto parts store and see if you can find a set of Marine Terminal clamps. Cut off your old clamps and solder a new ring connector that will fit on the Marine clamps. Now you will have an neater way to connect lights, a winch, cb radio, etc.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can easily fix the loose battery connector so it is tight again. Remove its bolt and use a tool like a Dremel to grind 1/8" of lead away from the connector's gap the bolt squeezes together. That will allow it to be as tight around the battery post as a new connector would be.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.