Nav and Bluetooth - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeep25

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-13-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Jeep25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nav and Bluetooth

Did a double din install of Nav and Bluetooth...plus added heated seat pads.

Now I am one with the TJ.

Attached Thumbnails
20170913_151143.jpg   20170913_151155.jpg  
Zeep likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-14-2017, 05:41 AM
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Metra kit?
What did you use to trim inner dash?
Good job, looks nice! Where did you source that head unit?

JEEP THE AR-15 OF THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD
post #3 of 9 Old 09-14-2017, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Jeep25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeep View Post
Metra kit?
What did you use to trim inner dash?
Good job, looks nice! Where did you source that head unit?
Yes with the Metra kit, but local shop did the install.

I purchased this from an authorized dealer which came with a legit version of the Primo software. So I was able to go to Naviextras.com for the current update of the maps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Acoust...53.m2749.l2649

Thank you.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-17-2017, 07:08 AM
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks for the response. I have the Metra kit, just haven't decided on a head unit yet.
The one you selected, is pretty affordable, considering it has nav.
Post a update after you have had a chance to test it out a bit!

post #5 of 9 Old 09-23-2017, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Jeep25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I have the Metra kit, just haven't decided on a head unit yet.
The one you selected, is pretty affordable, considering it has nav.
Post a update after you have had a chance to test it out a bit!
Update:

Great head unit.

1) The buttons when programming the GPS are very quick. Unlike my wifes old Acura RDX where it seems like you had to wait 2 seconds in between tapping buttons.
2) Have a number of options on viewing the screen, 2D/3D, can leave default to arrow, or change to car, jeep, motorcycle, etc.
3) The GPS version of Primo software has a legit license, not hacked. Allowed one upgrade of maps for free
4) Has option to change viewing to day/night on screen.
5) Have a option of options with TTS for GPS voices.(Turn by turn street names).
6) US seller for easier return if needed.
7) Known manufacturer (I previously purchased units from China and while mine worked well, there's always a chance of a bad unit that would need to be shipped back).
8) When the GPS voice comes on, lowers the radio, but once the voice command finishes, radio goes back to normal volume
9) For my purposes, the radio sounds great through the stock speakers and I swapped out the center console sub woofer for the Quadratec replacement.

Only 2 cons:

1) Unfort the TJ doesn't have steering wheel controls, so no voice command for calling on phone. I'm trying to find 3rd party add on unit that will work.
2) Having trouble even with Naviextras.com helping me with updating POI's. (Really not a big deal to me).

As a point of reference, this unit should run a hacked version of Primo, should you desire to try it. (Will prob wait until warranty is over, 1 year to try it).

I would def buy this head unit again.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-25-2017, 03:48 AM
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
That's awesome that it is working out so well! I have been looking at higher end Kenwoods, and Pioneer's.
Sounds like your choice would work well for me. One concern for me is, that, I wanted to get away from any rotary knobs.
The power/volume knob on my factory unit has a ton of play, even though it works fine. Just seems like a weak link.

I've often wondered if it would be possible to do a Grand Cherokee steering wheel swap, for the radio controls.
The back side of the wheel in my TJ, has detents where the switches would fit. But, it brings concerns of the correct clock spring, and other wiring.
???
I would like to investigate this, at a local pick & pull!

Edit: I cleaned up my inbox!

post #7 of 9 Old 09-25-2017, 11:41 AM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Try this for adding Steering Wheel Controls.

https://www.carjoying.com/car-access...head-unit.html

This has 2 wires that are for connections to your radio, labeled car 1 and car 2. I only needed one but my buddy needed both.

There are others on EBay. I used something similar when I installed a double din HU in my Gen 2 RAM, which also did not have SWC. It worked great.

06 KJ
12 JK,2.5" Teraflex lift,Bilstein 5100's,BFG KO2's P305/65R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #8 of 9 Old 09-25-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Jeep25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's awesome that it is working out so well! I have been looking at higher end Kenwoods, and Pioneer's.
Sounds like your choice would work well for me. One concern for me is, that, I wanted to get away from any rotary knobs.
The power/volume knob on my factory unit has a ton of play, even though it works fine. Just seems like a weak link.

I've often wondered if it would be possible to do a Grand Cherokee steering wheel swap, for the radio controls.
The back side of the wheel in my TJ, has detents where the switches would fit. But, it brings concerns of the correct clock spring, and other wiring.
???
I would like to investigate this, at a local pick & pull!

Edit: I cleaned up my inbox!
Can't see going for the extra bucks for the GPS unit. Swapping out the steering wheel would be great, but that's not going to happen with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
Try this for adding Steering Wheel Controls.

https://www.carjoying.com/car-access...head-unit.html

This has 2 wires that are for connections to your radio, labeled car 1 and car 2. I only needed one but my buddy needed both.

There are others on EBay. I used something similar when I installed a double din HU in my Gen 2 RAM, which also did not have SWC. It worked great.
Looking for a pure bluetooth unit. Satechi makes one but you can't find it in the USA. Unfort, Apple did an OS upgrade and the Satechi Home Button doesn't work anymore, so Satechi pulled it off the market. It should still work with an Android phone and I've found a seller in Europe, but they won't ship to the USA. But I know 2 people in Europe who will buy it and reship to me. Just need to wait another week.

https://www.lifestylestore.se/en/iph...s-and-android/
post #9 of 9 Old 09-30-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Jeep25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ended up going with an ibolt Command that uses the Coda wheel app.

Works great, but....damn...why does there have to be a but with 2 things

I can call using the name or calling in the number (ie: 609 555 1212)

1) Unfort when the phone is in a locked position it doesn't work. So I needed to unpassword (unlock) my phone.
2) The phone doesn't say, "say a command" that I used to have with steering wheel controls. So either I need to look at the phone after pushing the iBolt button for a few seconds or "assume" it's ready for a command.

Just to verify I'll reach out to support at iBolt to see if anything can be done.

It also hears my voice command properly even when the radio is on when calling name or phone number as it's set up with my voice as per Coda instructions.

Would I buy this again....yes.
Attached Thumbnails
Coda.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.