My XM Radio Install (Pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > My XM Radio Install (Pics)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-04-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
judge_schmells

My XM Radio Install (Pics)

Recently finished my custom xm install. Pretty happy with it. I wanted as stock of a look as possible.

Used the Auxilliary Input Converter from logjam electronics:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piechry02aux.html

This plugs right into the CD Changer port on the factory stereo. Then you just run a cable with a 1/8" plug on one end and RCA's on the other from your xm radio to the converter. Hit the mode button on the CD player and the XM will play through your system without the need for an FM modulator.

Also, I bought a cigarette lighter receptacle at radio shack. Wired it into the switched auxilliary power cable located near the fuse box behind the glove box. Then plugged the XM Radio auto power cable into it. All wires are hidden behind the dash.

The XM Radio is mounted with a bracket I bought at home depot. I painted it and the screws black. I screwed the bracket into the Coin Tray with the rubber piece off. Then I drilled holes directly into the back of the XM Radio cradle and screwed the other end of the bracket into the cradle. If you wanted to use the swivel head, that goes with the cradle you could do this as well.

I drilled a large enough hole in the coin tray so that I could route the wires into it. (Power wire, Audio out, and antenna.)

The Satelitte antenna is place on top of the soundbar.

When you replace the little rubber covering over the coin tray, it basically form fits around the bracket and you really can't tell anything is under it. Looks very clean.

NOTE: I have a 2001 Jeep. Only the 2002 model stereos have the CD Changer input. I had to upgrade to the 2002 model which means I also had to upgrade the radio air and switch bezel to fit. Jeepsareus.com was having a special on the radio, so I went ahead and purchased it. They make it sound like it is a simple change out, but it actually isn't. There are some modifications that have to be done to get the radio and switch bezel to fit correctly, so be warned.

The other reason I wanted to get the 2002 model is that the 2001 and previous models have such a hard time with burned CD's. The new radio plays them fine.

Here are pics:

Let me know if you have any questions.

"Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat Exterior Paint Club #32"
Pretty much stock for now.
judge_schmells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i like it a lot, only thing i would change is location, i would be scared it would get stolen quickly especially in a jeep, if i get one im going to install it on the center console somewhere.... nice install though
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 01:59 PM   #3
JeepCreepn01

yeah thats just asking to be stolen
JeepCreepn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
judge_schmells

True, but...

Believe me, I won't leave it there. I have a tuffy security console it will always go in. It is too easy to take no matter where you put it.

Thanks for the props.

Judge
Unread 01-04-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
JeepCreepn01

XM is great i got it in my boat, im just never in any of my cars to get that,but on the lake it is well worth it, youll like it for sure
JeepCreepn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 03:06 PM   #6
Jerry All-Bran

heh, what is an XM radio? Heard of the abbreviation so I assumed they finally came up with a radio station transmitting via satellite. Does it have commercials and a monthly fee of some sort?

I know you're probably wondering why i don't just search the net, but aside from my internet being a dialup at 15kb modem (i live way out in the boones), and me being darn awfule lazy, I wouldn't mind an opinion from a person who already has it
Jerry All-Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 03:16 PM   #7
blacktjsport
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You got it!! XM radio is transmitted from a satellite. You need a transmitter in your car and a receiver if your stereo isnt compatible. Most satellite radio companies (there are a few now) charge a monthly fee. Not too much, I forget what most are.
blacktjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 03:21 PM   #8
judge_schmells

Akula,

Yeah, it has around 130 or so channels. I think about 40 of them are totally commercial free. Every kind of music you could want, as well as news channels, talk radio, comedy, etc.

Costs about $9.00 a month. We recently bought a tahoe that had a tuner built in and we did the trial. Hard to go back to regular radio, so I got one for the jeep.

Adios!

Judge S.
Unread 01-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #9
Hotrod97z
2003 TJ Wrangler 

www.xmradio.com

Got it...Love it! I went with the $179 XM ready Pioneer stereo, $50 XM tuner and $50 adapter from Best Buy. The stereo has a removable face plate and the tuner/adapter are tucked under the center console. The stereo was installed in about 10 minutes with an adapter. The XM went smoothly...only a switched +12V and a ground to wire into the Jeep.

'03 TJ
Hotrod97z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 03:37 PM   #10
wkennedy

Well here is mine, I just did it this weekend and got the mounting idea from someone on xmfan.com. In my previous life (car) I had an in dash pioneer receiver which had all the controls built in. It sucked, compared to the display on the roadys and the sky-fis. I already had a Sky-fi that I won with free service so I left my in dash in the "car" when I traded it.

Basically I used an in-line fm modulator for the sky-fi that hooks right into the antenna cable. I was struggling trying to find out how to remove the bezel off of the radio. I opened the glove box and everything I needed to get to was right there.

Unhooked the antenna, one end goes to the the antenna in on the modulator, and cable coming from the radio goes into the other plug on the modulator. Ran power from the modulator to the fuse box. The modulator had the power and line in that I ran behind the dash and up the right side molding that goes up the passenger side of the windshield. Then across the windshield behind the molding and out in the center where that metal loop is. Ran the antenna cable the same way except it goes back underneath the roll bar cover over the passenger door and out to the middle of the sport bar. All under the cover so it is out of site, top up or down I used the car kit barcket and cradle. Drilled holes in it and used 2 screws to attach it to the plastic molding between the sun visors. I like this spot cuz it is up out of the way and you can barely see it from the outside. When I get my windows tinted I plan on getting a strip in the front and you will not be able to see the base at all.

Here is the link to the photos:

http://www.kennedykids.net/XM%20Install/index.html
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Navy]Blue Jeep Club Member #112[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=Blue].__[/COLOR]0[COLOR=Blue]_[/COLOR]0[COLOR=Blue]_[/COLOR]0[COLOR=Blue]_[/COLOR]0
[COLOR=Blue][l_,[____],
l---L -[/COLOR]OlllllllO[COLOR=Blue]-[/COLOR]
()_) ()_)---)_)
Patriot Blue 2005 Jeep Wrangler X
6 Speed 4.0 I-6

http://www.kennedykids.net
wkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 03:51 PM   #11
ProfessorCRX
Web Wheeler

Not a Stern fan I guess... I had XM and got tired of it after a year. I'll be getting sirius when stern crosses over.
ProfessorCRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 09:21 PM   #12
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the delphi "roady 2" in mine: it's got a built-in FM Modulator: I would like to do the CD changer thing, though: it's in a 2003 X, and the manual says the "mode" button should switch to the CD Input: anybody got any idea exactly the easiest way to find said input, assuming it exists on my stereo? I'm assuming it's on the back of the stereo, but how do you pull the thing out?
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 09:50 PM   #13
judge_schmells

It is quite simple. Just buy that auxilliary input adapter I mentioned at the beginning of the post and it plugs right into to the spot on the back of the stock stereo. Then just press the mode button. On your stereo it will say Disc 1 Track 1 and you will hear your XM Radio coming through.

Judge S.
Unread 01-04-2005, 10:04 PM   #14
Kaldes

Thanks for sharing your install. I'm sure many will follow how it was done.
Yellow Top Optima
Yeah basically [I]STOCK[/I]![/SIZE]
Kaldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 10:46 PM   #15
judge_schmells

thx Kaldes!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.