My New YJ switch panel that I'm working on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > My New YJ switch panel that I'm working on

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 01-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My New YJ switch panel that I'm working on

So with the rain and nasty weather and the aquisition of an ARB mini compressor to run my ARB (tired of having to run my OBA all the time with the leaks so I can lock up when I need to) I decided it was a good time to go ahead and make up a new switch panel for the YJ. Here is my original panel that I have in the YJ now

As you can see, 2 aviation toggle switches, the ARB switch, 6 stock style switches to run various accessories, and 2 air pressure gauges. One for the whole OBA system, and one for the line going to my ARB.

Now that I have the mini compressor I have to add another ARB switch and I can eliminate the pressure gauge going to the locker. The original panel was out of Stainless which looks great but was a royal pain to do the switch cut outs, especially for the stock style rectangular switches. So I sat down and made a list of all my various accessories. I have a bunch of stock switches floating around, but I really hated cutting the holes for them. the last plate took me a few days just of cutting the switch holes.

So I decided to go Aluminum for the plate, and go aviation style toggles with (suprise suprise) green LEDS to indicate power on. Went to IMS and got some aluminum sheet (on sale at that) cut a piece out that was 4.5"s by 16"s. Layed my switch holes out an inch apart and started drilling. Once I had the holes I bent the top inch over to mount to the bottom of my dash.

Now I realize the switches aren't all the same. Went to Kragen again today and got 3 more, waiting for them to re-order so I can get the last 3 I need. They are all 20 amp toggle switches with screw style terminals on them. I also took apart my 12voltguy in cab winch control panel and installed the switches from that in the new panel as well, Along with a single air pressure gauge to monitor my OBA system pressure. I was going to do 12 switches but when it was all said and done I had room for one more so I went ahead and added a 13th. So I have 2 empty switches for future modifications.

I know the DYmo labels are a bit goofy but they will work until I order some proper labels from the 12volt guy like whats on the arm switch for the winch control. And I am also irritatated by the gouging around the pressure gauge. the hole saw skipped when I raised the drill press. Not sure how to fix it and I don't feel like making a whole new plate so I guess i'll just run with it.

overall shot

back side view. That was a LOT of soldering!!

and with the labels on

so what do you all think?

oh and the ARB compressor and locker switch is getting moved to the switch cut outs in the dash as all I need to do there is enlarge the stock holes a bit, and that leaves one blank for when I get around to adding an ARB up front

Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
paulmatyn

1992 XJ Cherokee 

to fix the gouges remove all the switches, and use a flap wheel or an orbital sander to achieve a "brushed swirl" look, or go with straight sandpaper to give a regular "brushed" look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysEdition04 View Post
After reading 7-8 of your posts I've come to the conclusion that you may be mentally retarded, which is why I won't ask what "brain guts" are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Dodgers View Post
I'd rather take the chance and belive in God than take the chance and not.
Cuz ya got nothing to lose by believing, but ya sure might if ya don't.
White Jeep Club Member-2027
paulmatyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yeah that was kind of what I was leaning towards to fix that
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

Nicely Done !!! Great Work !!
prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks. I'm pretty happy with it overall. Just need to go clean Kragen out of 3 more switches, pull it apart and hit it with a flap wheel to stylize it, re-assemble and install it. Then comes the fun part of re-doing my wiring and all my relays and such
Unread 01-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Looks awesome dude. The only thing i might do is used waterslides to label the switches in a custom font and then clear coat em or something. Or maybe have someone cut em out in vinyl. The switch panel looks so cool that it would be one of the best i've seen if all of the switches had labels like the winch one does.
Unread 03-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
sportster60441
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great job on the labels. I found that by using clear nail polish over the Dynmo labels they become waterproof and will not come off easily. Best of all its a cheap simple fix for frayed labels

sportster60441 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.