My Cobra 75 and everything else CB setup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > My Cobra 75 and everything else CB setup

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My Cobra 75 and everything else CB setup

I completed this a long time ago and have been meaning to do a small writeup for some time, so here it goes.

My setup w/ product links:
-Cobra 75 SW XT -chosen due to TJs limited space.
-Midland marine cb speaker - chosen because I required an external speaker and it was marine grade.
-Terraflex tail light mount - chosen because it looks clean and is simple.
-4' Firestick firefly - chosen because its flexible and light weight.
-Fold over antenna mount - chosen so I can park in public garages w/o removing my antenna.

For the install of the CB I followed the writeup on 4x4xplor to the T, so theres no need to go over that in much detail. I will say that using a fuse adapter into the fuse box behind the glovebox does work, but there is quite a bit of noise, requiring the squelch to be turned up pretty high. Fine for trail use but not ideal for trying to get the most range out of your system. Most ideal is connecting strait to the battery of coarse.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/cb.html

The Cobra75 is great at being a space saving radio, but its speaker is pretty small. I wanted to be able to hear my CB with no top and doors doing 70mph on the highway, so an external speaker was a must. I chose the midland marine cb speaker (since the Jeep tends to get wet), and it also has an additional noise filter with an on/off switch and matched the factory colors pretty well. I attached it at the corner of the roll bar with 3 heavy back zip ties, 2 on the windshield support bar and one on the main hoop, its mounted solid. It also is not noticeable on the driver side from outside the Jeep. I ran the wire down the inside of the roll bar padding and joined it the factory wiring loom that runs under the plastic cover of the driver door. The speakers wire was not long enough to reach all the way to the glove box so I purchased an extension at Radio Shack.

For the antenna mount I used the Terraflex tail light mount. I think this is a very clean and simple mount for the TJ, it simply installs behind the taillight using the tail light bolts. No need to drill. There is an optional drill hole, but I did not use it. Since I have corner armor, I opted to get longer bolts for the taillights, as I figured the addition of the terraflex mount + the corner armor would make likely make the stock bolts to short for a solid mount.

I park in public garages with low ceilings frequently, so the ability to raise/lower my antenna easily was important. I did not like the concept of the quick release base, as then I would need to carry my antenna in the Jeep. I found a fold over mount and it works great. The antenna neatly tucks in-between the spare tire and the rear window. (Note: the mount isn't rusted, just dirty).

I chose the Firestick Firefly because its light weight and flexibility. Firestick claims that the 4' firefly antenna can safely be mounted on a mount designed for a 3' antenna. In retrospect a 3' antenna would be adequate. I joined the coax to the factory wiring loom on the inside of the driver side tub and secured it with a couple zip ties, so it all looks factory.

On a side note, I highly recommend Walcott CB, I purchased most my setup there minus the Cobra75. They were very helpful when I had questions about the installation after my purchase. Their customer service/tech support was top notch.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread

Last edited by Crashnburn80; 06-05-2008 at 02:37 PM..
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 05:42 AM   #2
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice! This is how mine looks.

2007 JK 4 Door, 33" BF Goodrich MTKs, River Raider Ram Air Snorkel System with a K&N flat filter, Cool Tech Exhaust, 410 Gears, Auto, Front & Rear Lockers with OX covers, TF 2.5" Suspension Lift with Heavy Duty Gas Shocks, Piaa Yellow Ion Fog Lights, LOD/Custom Built Steel Front Ram Bumper with White Fog Lights, KC Slim Lights with Windshield Mount, 10,000 lbs Front & Rear Removable Winch, LOD Rear Bumper, Garmin Jeep Trail Guide Navigation System with Topo, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, ScanGaugll,Sirius Satellite 6 disk in dash changer Infinity 7 speakers with sub system, Cobra 75 WX ST with K40 Whip Antenna, Full Rubber Floors With Jeep Slush Mats and Custom Fit Neoprene Seat Covers and Grab handles, Daystar Switch Panel. See my Jeep in action @
http://www.aaof.us/jeep.htm
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
mxracer513
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Those are great radios for confined spaces, works pretty good too.

Nice setup
.=..^.-.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
KB3RDF ..... Yellow Jeep Club Member # 513
mxracer513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 06:23 AM   #4
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Now you ought to do a clean up and write about that. Do you ever wash that thing? Someone would get asthma just being within 20 feet of it. Good writes up though... Just messing with you.
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
moparradar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsig View Post
Nice! This is how mine looks.

2007 JK 4 Door, 33" BF Goodrich MTKs, River Raider Ram Air Snorkel System with a K&N flat filter, Cool Tech Exhaust, 410 Gears, Auto, Front & Rear Lockers with OX covers, TF 2.5" Suspension Lift with Heavy Duty Gas Shocks, Piaa Yellow Ion Fog Lights, LOD/Custom Built Steel Front Ram Bumper with White Fog Lights, KC Slim Lights with Windshield Mount, 10,000 lbs Front & Rear Removable Winch, LOD Rear Bumper, Garmin Jeep Trail Guide Navigation System with Topo, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, ScanGaugll,Sirius Satellite 6 disk in dash changer Infinity 7 speakers with sub system, Cobra 75 WX ST with K40 Whip Antenna, Full Rubber Floors With Jeep Slush Mats and Custom Fit Neoprene Seat Covers and Grab handles, Daystar Switch Panel. See my Jeep in action @
do you have a better picture of that antenna mount? where does the cable connect to?
moparradar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

I don't have any other pic but the cable is the bolt though kind that come in under the tab and in to the antenna. If you pull the trim off their are two bolt on the tail gate the tail gate is grounded so I made a bracket to fit over the hinge then welded a tab to it cut a slice in the trim put the trim back on. Then put the antenna on and used puddy to fill in the slice and had it tuned.. Hope this helped.

Unread 04-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
babesintoyland
2008 JK Wrangler 

mrsig, I have an '08 Wrangle Unlimited, where and how did you mount the unit? It looks like somewhere under the glove box from you picture, but I can't tell for sure. I was thinking of purchasing this CB because there just is no space to mount the traditional units. Would buy this one again?
Unread 04-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #8
XWind
2007 JK Wrangler 

Here comes a noob moment.....

...Do all antennas fold flat like yours or just the firefly? Looking to get a CB setup and being able to fold the antenna would be nice when its not in use...

Thanks in advance
XWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
XWind
2007 JK Wrangler 

...Ah yes, showing by noob status very well on this one... - I suppose I also could have looked and saw the fold-over mount. Oh well, still a nice setup. I'm gonna get the fold-over mount for mine.
Unread 04-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirt View Post
The antenna isn't what dictates whether it will fold flat or not, it's the mount. He didn't say what exactly he was using, just that it was a fold-over one. Check walcottcb and see if they have one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XWind View Post
...Ah yes, showing by noob status very well on this one... - I suppose I also could have looked and saw the fold-over mount. Oh well, still a nice setup. I'm gonna get the fold-over mount for mine.
It is the 203EZ fold over mount, name doesnt seem to do much good (I think its pretty generic) so I didn't bother to mention it. I did list the product link at the begining of the writeup (with the other products) that takes you to the 203EZ page on Walcottcb, where it can be purchased.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
XWind
2007 JK Wrangler 

Cool - thanks for info I'm checking it out now. BTW great link for axle info in your sig.
Unread 08-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #12
1fastR
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is a noob question, but if you use the fold over mount do you still need the spring and stud mount?

http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-ss...unt-p-824.html
1fastR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008, 05:42 AM   #13
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by babesintoyland View Post
mrsig, I have an '08 Wrangle Unlimited, where and how did you mount the unit? It looks like somewhere under the glove box from you picture, but I can't tell for sure. I was thinking of purchasing this CB because there just is no space to mount the traditional units. Would buy this one again?
I have it cable tide to a bracket under the glove box. Just take out the glove box and you can get to it very easy..
Yes I would!
Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
Unread 08-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #14
Rigger007
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastR View Post
This is a noob question, but if you use the fold over mount do you still need the spring and stud mount?

http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-ss...unt-p-824.html
yes you will still need a stud to make the connection to the cable. The fold-over mount goes between the stud and the antenna. Walcott is a good outfit, they can make sure you get the right stud for the type of cable you get. I went with the Firering Cable and stud combo from them. Though I kinda wish I had gone with an RG8 cable instead.
Rigger007 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.