Mulitmeter display not working - need info - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Mulitmeter display not working - need info

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Mulitmeter display not working - need info

I have a Craftsman 82028 digital multimeter with an odd problem.

When I measure anything, the bar graph works fine but the numerical readout never says anything but 0L (or .0L, 0.L, etc. so it does look like the auto-ranging feature is working).

For example, if I measure a AA battery, the bar graph shows 15 but the numerical display reads .0L

It's always been like this, but now I'm doing some diagnostics where I really need the numerical value to work.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this thing screwed up?

If the latter, is there any way to fix it, or do I just have to toss it and buy another one?

YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
hamilton5
2001 WJ 

sounds broke to me, something internal... no warranty? Its a pretty cheap model just get you a new one.
hamilton5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure if craftsman warranties the DMM like it does hand tools. But it's worth a try.
Do you have the ability to select settings over auto ranging? Like the AA battery should be 1.2-1.4V not 15

If it's like this one you may be out of luck.
Unread 10-03-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
LKFitzgerald1
2007 WK 

Your mulitmeter is actually working fine. Your range on the digital read out is smaller than your graphs. That 15 is probably supposed to be reading 1.5 you just have the range off....the "OL" message means the DMM is reading infinity because it is beyond its range_max.

Try this.....if using the auto range funtion; press mode until you are measuring DCV or it may look like Vdc and then make sure there is only the 10s digit read after decimal point. IF, the DMM is a knob you turn, turn the knob to DCV or Vdc section and set at 20.

Let me know if this solves the problem!
LKFitzgerald1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.