Mount light bar on hood or windshield? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Mount light bar on hood or windshield?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mount light bar on hood or windshield?

Im trying to make a tough decision right now and I figured I would ask for some opinions. I need to make one before I start cutting my bar.

Long story short, I bought a 2X2 fence post and am either wanting to put it above the windshield like another member did, or under my hi lift on my hood where some other members have put theirs.

Above the windshield I would have to drill holes. On the hood I would just use the hinge holes where my hi lift is mounted. I would also have to find L shaped brackets that fit perfectly without interfering with the soft top because that space above the windshield is very small. I'd also have to wire the lights down the windshield as appose to on the hood they would go right in where the hood lifts and then the firewall is right there making it very easy to get them inside the cab to the switch. Under the hi lift would be low profile. I would also only use 4 lights on the hood as opposed to 6.

I elaborated more in my build (in my signature)

Pics of other members light bars and a rough look of what it would be under my hi lift:
Also some more pics of just the bar resting underneath the hi lift

5fdca7a2.jpg   dscn0441.jpg   6.jpg   1.jpg   2.jpg  

3.jpg  

My build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-tj-college-build-1186424/
wrscpc07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The lights will be more effective over the windshield but they'll work well on the hood. Since hood mount is easier, try it there first. If you don't like it, change to over the windshield. Besides, jeeps are never finished, they're always a work in progress, right?
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud100 View Post
The lights will be more effective over the windshield but they'll work well on the hood. Since hood mount is easier, try it there first. If you don't like it, change to over the windshield. Besides, jeeps are never finished, they're always a work in progress, right?
Haha I agree. But you're right, if I decide to move it to the windshield I can always do that.

My build:
Unread 06-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just remember, depending on what the light pattern is your going to get a lot of glare off the hood if they are mounted right on it. Might want to rig them up to a set of jumper cables and see how much glare you get at night before you mount them.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
wrscpc07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc View Post
Just remember, depending on what the light pattern is your going to get a lot of glare off the hood if they are mounted right on it. Might want to rig them up to a set of jumper cables and see how much glare you get at night before you mount them.
Each light will only stick out a tiny bit from the bar and I plan to paint the bottom of the light. Ive heard by doing this it helps. Plus I wonder if having the hi lift on top of it will shield some of the glare that I can see

My build:
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:57 AM   #6
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrscpc07 View Post
Each light will only stick out a tiny bit from the bar and I plan to paint the bottom of the light. Ive heard by doing this it helps. Plus I wonder if having the hi lift on top of it will shield some of the glare that I can see
I have dual beam floods on the windshield of mine just above the hood, they are 110w each and the glare on my white hood is not bad but the glare off my 2m and stereo antenna makes me want to paint them black.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.