Mount an IPad on the Dash ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Mount an IPad on the Dash ?

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Blewyn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mount an IPad on the Dash ?

Is there a simple way to mount an IPad on the dash, preferably in front of the AC vents so it stays cool (we'll be dunebashing in 35C with the shell off :-) ???

Something removable but strong would be good - it has to withstand some srious bumps and even minor air....

Blewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
55willystruck

Yup. Get a Rockhard dash bar clamp and add the RAM mount/s. I run a Garmin Nuvi GPS on the left, my iphone in the center and the ipad on the right side off that single mount. Does fine and have two more spots left on the clamp. No vibes/hazy screen like you get with the seat style mount. I do not jump the rig though so can't tell you how it would do there. I suspect just fine. On highway speeds and off-roading here, no issues.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck View Post
Yup. Get a Rockhard dash bar clamp and add the RAM mount/s. I run a Garmin Nuvi GPS on the left, my iphone in the center and the ipad on the right side off that single mount. Does fine and have two more spots left on the clamp. No vibes/hazy screen like you get with the seat style mount. I do not jump the rig though so can't tell you how it would do there. I suspect just fine. On highway speeds and off-roading here, no issues.

Best of Luck,

Mike
where can you buy the rock hard clamps? link?
inglisleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
Blewyn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I found the rock hard website but no sign of any 'dash bar clamps' ? Can you help me out ?

The 'air' is only ever unintentional and minimal....but on a 2-day Wahiba desert crossing it's very likely to happen...
Unread 09-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
Blewyn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 09-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
55willystruck

Looks like they redesigned their site since I bought mine. Took a bit to find it, but here it is:

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1021.htm

I got mine through David at Northridge though. Had something else on order that he had in stock so I asked and he sent this too.

I want to caution though-RockHard advertises this as having 5/16" threaded holes to mount stuff to. When mine arrived, and after ordering nearly $200 worth of RAM mounts to fit it, I found they were NOT 5/16" and instead, were actually 1/4" threads on the RockHard clamp. I drilled and tapped it out to 5/16" so all my RAM stuff would fit. I did both email and call RockHard to notify them of the problem and ask that they either change their web site to correctly advertise the 1/4" it really was, or open the clamps up to the advertised 5/16" size. Was told well, Thanks, but we're not changing anything. I see it's still advertised as being 5/16" so I HOPE the clamps really are. If not, more people need to call and complain. I know another company makes these but I forget who now. I'd gladly recommend the other if I could remember just in spite of RH's piss poor attitude and lack of changing the web site or actual product. If you do buy, keep that in mind before ordering your RAM mounts to fit as it likely is still 1/4".

Here's how my dash setup looks:

Here's most of the pieces:

edit-I should add that RAM does offer 1/4" threaded studs to mount so you COULD buy 1/4" direct from RAM to mount with the RockHard clamp IF they haven't yet fixed the problem on the size and are still falsely advertising their stuff. Also, the RAM stuff is not a kit-that was the hard part of all this. Figuring out what you want to run, where and how. They do have several "kits" of various other things, but nothing for this application. They make a TON of mounts so start with your ipad and search from there. You'll want a 1" ball threaded for either 5/16" that the clamp SHOULD be or 1/4" if it isn't, then an extension, then ipad bracket itself. I THINK the ipad bracket/mount thing came with it's own ball there so that may be included. You'll have to search RAM to find that out though. I used the shortest extensions for the GPS and iphone mounts-I THINK they're 1.5" maybe, 2" perhaps? Whatever the smallest one was. The ipad I went with the 6" extension. Everything works great and you have TONS of options for mount location with the clamp as the design of the RAM mount allows for basically infinite adjustment. Once locked in place, it's VERY solid. I've been very happy with this setup. It's a ton more stable than any of my buddies who use the seat style mount-theirs moves a lot-this doesn't. Hope that helps.

Best of Luck,

Mike
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Jeepson33s
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Velcro...I have had it on all my jeeps...I'll post pics later.

Here is the Velcro on my case. This setup allows me to carry it and mount it between cars and not have to permanently mount the receiving end. I use gps all the time and have not gotten the heat warning
image-2087651159.jpg  
2003 Wrangler Rubicon Intense Blue- 4" Rough Country X-Series lift - Bilstein 5100 Shocks - Currie RockJock V-Bumper and Rock Crawler Rear bumper - Badlands 12K winch - Tom Woods DS - KC Slimlites - KC Headlight conversion with 4300K HID - 285/75/16 BFG MT KM2 on Rubicon Wheels
Jeepson33s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewyn View Post
I found the rock hard website but no sign of any 'dash bar clamps' ? Can you help me out ?

The 'air' is only ever unintentional and minimal....but on a 2-day Wahiba desert crossing it's very likely to happen...
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1021.htm
inglisleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
Jeepson33s
2003 TJ Wrangler 

And I read it wrong...thought it said IPhone
2003 Wrangler Rubicon Intense Blue- 4" Rough Country X-Series lift - Bilstein 5100 Shocks - Currie RockJock V-Bumper and Rock Crawler Rear bumper - Badlands 12K winch - Tom Woods DS - KC Slimlites - KC Headlight conversion with 4300K HID - 285/75/16 BFG MT KM2 on Rubicon Wheels
Jeepson33s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

do you have any photos with your iPad mounted?

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
Davf24
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
do you have any photos with your iPad mounted?
Hey, keep it clean, not photos of people mounting their Ipad's
Davf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
WV_Boltman
2011 JK Wrangler 

so pretty much you have to have an aftermarket cage?
WV_Boltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV_Boltman View Post
so pretty much you have to have an aftermarket cage?
Thats what it looks like... and I am not too sure I like how that tablet is sitting between the passenger seat and the air bag... not sure I would want to set it up that way unless I knew the passenger seat was going to be empty or the airbag disabled, but then again I like knowing the airbags are there so I probably wouldn't want to disable it.
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
acrijos
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck View Post

Best of Luck,

Mike
X2, except I use a Ram roll bar clamp.
gear1.jpg  
Unread 09-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
55willystruck

I built my cage but yes, you do need some form of dash bar for THIS style mount. The OP asked for a simple, solid way to mount an ipad above the dash. This is exactly that-simple, reliable, solid, secure and easy. It doesn't bounce or move like the seat mount style does-it is solid and everything is easily removable. BUT... Yes, you do need some form of dash bar for THIS style clamp. There are others that don't require a dash bar, but I don't run them so I'm not going to comment on them. Wait a sec-this is a Jeep that gets wheeled. A cage is one of the first mods you should do isn't it, and consequently, everyone should have a dash bar right???

As to mount location of the ipad- The RAM mount setup is allowed for infinite adjustment due to design, as mentioned earlier. I removed the ipad quickly and it's sitting loosely a hair above the airbag panel empty in this picture. Also take into account that pics are deceiving for various angles and such. To assume otherwise that you can't move it or can't adjust it is just silly.

When I mounted this, I wanted full function of all dash features-AC vents, radio, airbag, etc. AND I also wanted as much full view line of site through the windshield from the drivers seat as possible. What I found with THIS particular mount setup is that the best way for the most windshield view yet still retaining full dash function without blocking airbag is to mount ipad horizontal in that location, and yes, elevated a tad bit from what that pic looks like. It isn't much, but when I mount it, I do have it higher up than what the pic shows. Those are old and all I could find off hand. Again, all the RAM mounts are infinitely adjustable so you can position or move them anywhere you want. I'd considered getting a second Rock Hard clamp and moving the phone further left and setting the GPS next to the ipad for topo map tracking and such but this works fine the way it is. Nothing blocked, everything works, and I can see.

If somebody needs a specific pic, let me know and I can try and get more.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.