Modern Dash - iPad custom dash - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Modern Dash - iPad custom dash

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEvo4 View Post
What's wrong with videos and your entire iTunes library with you everywhere you go? Games for young passengers or a study guide on the way to school? Pick up a 4G LTE hotspot if you need internet 24/7 and you're good to go.
That's cool but with all the new distracted driver laws in effect i can see the 5-O dinging you if you ever have a video going while you're driving. Shoot even Nav systems are locked out if your not in park now.

l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
FastEvo4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I know each state has different laws. However, here you get busted for reckless driving. You can be drinking coffee and swerving and get pulled over. Fortunately video isn't against the law. It sure makes long drives a lot nicer! I guess it's all on how good of a driver you are and how focused you can stay on the road.
FastEvo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #18
vegose
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEvo4 View Post
It links up via Bluetooth. Bluetooth streaming is where it's at!
Just installed my JVC Bluetooth adapter. Love it!
[B]2006 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.7L, QTII, 255x65x17 Toyo Open Country AT, Rola Roof Rack, Francis CB Antenna, Cobra CB, Solid Rear Diff Cover, SRT8 Pedals, PIAA 510 Fogs, Hella 500 Grille lights, 1.5 Spidertraxx Spacers, Spider LED tail lights, RevTek 2" Lift, Bilstein rear shocks, 17" Moabs, aFe Cold Air Intake, Expanded 1/2 inch Metal Grille Mod.[/B]

[B][CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]Khaki Club Member #39[/COLOR][/CENTER][/B]
vegose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #19
spYder miKe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEvo4
What's wrong with videos and your entire iTunes library with you everywhere you go? Games for young passengers or a study guide on the way to school? Pick up a 4G LTE hotspot if you need internet 24/7 and you're good to go.
Yea, guess I see your point, but I'll never use it for any of those things. I don't know any kids, I can't watch videos while I drive, and my entire library won't fit on my iPad. That's why I have iTunes match and an iPhone 4.
Unread 06-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
Profit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc View Post
That's cool but with all the new distracted driver laws in effect i can see the 5-O dinging you if you ever have a video going while you're driving. Shoot even Nav systems are locked out if your not in park now.
Yet there are no laws against manufacturers making in-dash DVD players with flip-up screens, and factory vehicles have built-in DVD screens? What use is a NAV system that isn't working while you're driving? Do you now have to park your car for the next direction update? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spYder miKe View Post
Yea, guess I see your point, but I'll never use it for any of those things. I don't know any kids, I can't watch videos while I drive, and my entire library won't fit on my iPad. That's why I have iTunes match and an iPhone 4.
Here's a thought then: don't do this mod. Your situation isn't the same as the OP's situation; he feels that he has a use for this. So be it.
Profit42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #21
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit42 View Post
Yet there are no laws against manufacturers making in-dash DVD players with flip-up screens, and factory vehicles have built-in DVD screens? What use is a NAV system that isn't working while you're driving? Do you now have to park your car for the next direction update? No.
Yes but with all of them there is a wire that hooks up that disables the DVD display if your driving. Does everyone hook it up...no but it still don't make it legal. As for the GPS..if it's not voice controlled many of them lock out the controls so you can't change them while driving. My Nuvi locks out the controls unless you are stopped...yes you can override it as well but is it worth the ticket? IMO if your driving you shouldn't be watching a movie or doing anything else that requires you to take your eyes off the road for more than a brief second. I've seen way too many wrecks and vehicles in the ditch from distracted driving.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #22
jcassise
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Did you ever finish the new version?

I just was wondering if you have ever finished the v2 one you were working on? Also if you have any pics? What is the price?
jcassise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #23
FastEvo4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassise View Post
I just was wondering if you have ever finished the v2 one you were working on? Also if you have any pics? What is the price?
I did finish version 2. I also modified the original to house the HVAC controller. I freaking love this setup.

V2 allows any one who wants to keep their stock bezel and setup. It slides in through the vents. I actually tested it for about 3-4 months and really am happy with it. I've sold one to a buddy in Indiana and I'll post his pic as well.

Cost is around $80 for one. However if you get a group purchase together that price can drop a good bit.

The beauty of V2 is it works for any tablet! Android, Apple, Asus...you name it. Just bend the tabs around the tablet and trim the excess.
205245_10100253238540313_979917945_n.jpg   550760_10151054108159458_1427021269_n.jpg   198342_10151054108014458_332635870_n.jpg  
Unread 10-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #24
dmchenry35

Can you even see out of the windshield now?

On a more serious note, if you can make one that covers the stock head unit hole and holds an iPad I'd buy it.
Unread 10-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #25
FastEvo4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchenry35 View Post
Can you even see out of the windshield now?

On a more serious note, if you can make one that covers the stock head unit hole and holds an iPad I'd buy it.
Believe it or not you can actually see fine and keep your eyes safely on the road and on the iPad with out looking down. That's one of the reasons it's up there. If it mounted in front of the head unit it would be too low. However with Version 2 you can skide it in the bottom of the vents OR flip it around. That way most of the iPad is in front of the radio and vents.

Also it's not fixed or permanent. It just slides in and out, but stays safely secure when it is mounted.

PM me if you are thinking of something more custom or want more ideas.

Wait till you see pics of the finished system and install!
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #26
jeffjeff
2010 JK Wrangler 

posted without seeing second page. can't figure out how to delete. sorry.
jeffjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #27
JahnPaters
1998 TJ Wrangler 

lol, I don't know a lot of people who listen to Animals as Leaders, nice. also, looks pretty sweet
JahnPaters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #28
FastEvo4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JahnPaters View Post
lol, I don't know a lot of people who listen to Animals as Leaders, nice. also, looks pretty sweet
Heck yeah man! Going to see them with Meshuggah in a couple weeks! Tosin actually went to school at AIM (Atlanta Institute of Music) here in GA.
Unread 01-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #29
roguezj
1998 ZJ 

I'd love to see one of these for a ZJ.
roguezj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
audio , bluetooth , custom , ipad , stereo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.