Modern Dash - iPad custom dash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Modern Dash - iPad custom dash

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 02-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
FastEvo4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So this being one of my first posts I hope you guys like what I have to offer. Had this idea a while ago and decided to make it Jeep friendly. Granted this is a prototype but you get the idea.

Just like the heading implies...

The head unit is un-steal-able. It is bolted to the Modern Dash, which is bolted to the frame of the Jeep. The only way to get it out is with a sawzall (or unbolt it if you know what to do). I don't know too many criminals boosting head units with sawzall's. The whole goal is to detract some one from stealing your cd player.

Pic 2 is the before, pic 3 is the during.

There is a 4 channel T amp sitting behind the Modern Dash as well.

Update!!!

Here are the most current pics of the Modern Dash now. Including new speakers ,painted trim, subwoofer amp mounted...Enjoy!

image-2526242103.jpg

image-1539665394.jpg

image-586908438.jpg

image-2705223626.jpg

image-2278800818.jpg

image-2906227873.jpg

2011-04-11-12.32.21.jpg   picture-046.jpg   1300734416914.jpg   1301092961894.jpg   2011-03-25-16.17.30.jpg  

FastEvo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Where are the hvac controls now?
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Very nice fabwork. Clean and well executed. I do have the same question as gily25 however, where are the HVAC controls?
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Gee, thanks for the new idea for a center dash panel. I was content in simply cutting out a mounting bracket for my head unit from 1/4" aluminum and keeping the factory plastic in place, but now I want to do a whole panel and put my switches/winch control panel in there, too. Grr.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
FastEvo4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys! So about the HVAC...as you can see the previous HVAC controls where busted in half thanks to some dude and his crow bar. Since I live in GA and never use the AC, I didn't feel it necessary to buy a new controller. However, the blower motor is constantly running so in the winter it heats the cab up nicely. I will install a switch on the bottom of the head unit that turns the heater to high or off mode. I could make one that has a tier underneath the cd player for the controller though.

Trust me a lot of thought went into that concern but overall I'm still happy with this for now.

BTW: there is a cigarette lighter on the bottom right side under the head unit for charging cellphones and 12v power. I'm just OCD about clean lines so it's invisible.

I can post a video but I'm not sure how to do that...
Unread 02-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
FastEvo4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

http://youtu.be/y-K2Ojbb5ws
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
jaymade
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I love it

wold like one with a spot to put the HVAC. Would you consider making and selling one?
jaymade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
jeepcreek
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That's very cool - but I had a crackhead rip out my entire dash to get at an OEM POS CD player. He failed to get the stereo but succeeded in causing me to pay $100 to have a new dash put in. He was nice enough to leave behind the crowbar he used (the one under the passengers seat).
jeepcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
FastEvo4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! I'm actually working on another mount that works with the stock TJ dash. You can still use your air vents and it doesn't block the radio or HVAC controls. Let me know if you're interested in that.

as far as this piece goes I am adding a second tier to accommodate the HVAC controls. I could build one custom or replicate exactly what you see here. PM me if you want to explore this further.

PS: Nothing can be stolen from this unit. They will end up breaking the CD player before they get it out. The whole concept for this design is to discourage the thief from even trying in the first place. At night the unit is impossible to see unless you have a flashlight. This unit is bolted to the dash. The only way to get it out(without unbolting it) is to use a sawzall and cut the dash in half. The only way to get to the bolts is by taking the dash apart. Can be done in minutes if you know what to do.
Unread 04-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
jeepcreek
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds awesome! What do you expect the price might be?
I Installed a non-marine radio back when I had a hardtop. It fried the first time it rained with the top off.
jeepcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
MrFish
2012 JK Wrangler 

Curious: How does the iPad get power, and how does the audio get out? It doesn't look like one could plug in a power or audio cable, then slide the iPad into place.
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
FastEvo4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It links up via Bluetooth. Bluetooth streaming is where it's at!
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
MrFish
2012 JK Wrangler 

I thought about that just after hitting "Post." But power? Not that it's absolutely necessary (that battery normally lasts a looooong time) but I can see how using the iPad as a navi device could warrant some external juice.
Unread 05-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
spYder miKe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quick question....if the iPad doesn't have 3G capabilities, then it's just decoration right? An iPad without connection to the Internet or something is just pointless and can really only be used for watching movies and listening to music. I thought about doing this, but my iPad only does wifi, and listening to music on it is pointless when I have my iPhone with iTunes match.
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
FastEvo4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What's wrong with videos and your entire iTunes library with you everywhere you go? Games for young passengers or a study guide on the way to school? Pick up a 4G LTE hotspot if you need internet 24/7 and you're good to go.

Tags
audio , bluetooth , custom , ipad , stereo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.