Microsoft ZUNE Compatibility - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Microsoft ZUNE Compatibility

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
ticconi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Microsoft ZUNE Compatibility

I am gonna get a Zune for christmas and had a few q's on how to listen to it in my yj thru an aftermarket head unit. i noticed alot of aftermarket head units have integrated ipod controls but didn't notice any for zunes. i spoke with someone from crutchfield and they said no unit offers controls and it won't even work with a usb port because of the zunes software. so my understanding is im gonna have to search for head units with front mounted aux ports right? I don't wanna buy the car kit and rely on the fm radio not into that. anyone else have some experience with this?

ticconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Knocky
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I refuse to join the other iPod lemmings.

I have my Creative Zen hooked up through a aftermarket aux adapter similar to this one.

http://indashpc.org/new/aux_adapters/car2aux-chr.html

It plugs into the CD changer plug in the back of the factory radio.

You will probably have to get a headunit with an aux plug built into it though if you have an old jeep.
Knocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use a USB thumb drive to listen to tunes in my Jeep. Flash memory is a lot cheaper. If all you want to do is listen to the Zune in your Jeep, the aux (3.5mm) jack should work. You won't be able to charge it or control it from the head unit, but you can listen to your music.

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
vp6799
1996 ZJ 

Pioneer also make some models with a rear AUX input. So you could run the AUX in wire from the back of the head unit and come out where ever you'd like, and the wire will not be seen on the front of the radio since it plugs in the back.
Unread 12-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
ticconi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ok great guys, so if i get a head unit with a aux input whether it be front or back it should work right?
Unread 12-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, you should be good to go with a front/rear aux jack. You won't be able to charge the Zune or control it from the head unit, but you can listen to it. You will probably need to purchase a male to male 3.5 mm adapter to plug it in.

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2008, 06:18 AM   #7
jshaab2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

buy my brown gen 1 zune brandnew. just opened box for 75$ pm me
Unread 12-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
peeweeXJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Zune and an Ipod. I bought a Pioneer DEH5000UB which has rear USB input for Ipod and Flash drives. It also has a rear AUX input, which I plugged a headphone jack cable into, and ran it out of the dash and plug into headphone jack of Zune.
I have the ipod cable running into the glove box, and leave my ipod plugged in and locked.

Yeah you can't control it through the head unit, and it doesn't charge, but Zunes rock ipods.
Unread 12-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
ticconi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

im getting one for christmas but thanks for the offer jshaab2. yeah honestly i prob would have got an ipod but my cd's got stolen in college and im not paying .99 when my player will hold 2500 songs. so i am gonna get the zunepass.
Unread 12-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Sony xplod in my civic and that has the 3.5mm on it. I use that to plug my zune into and i have a car charger for it.

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #11
eliassami5
1991 XJ Cherokee 

which zune are you planning on getting? the 80G or the 4-8G? Cuz with the 8-4g you can cuztomize your own off of the zune website. I got the 8g and it's great although now i use a flash drive in the car instead of using an AUX port and my zune...just a lot easier and faster.
eliassami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 08:21 AM   #12
ticconi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

im getting the 8gb and what do you mean by customize? i don't want to use a flash drive i would much rather use my zune, the radio's in yj's are very inconvenient to be leaning over all the time so i would just rather use the zune in my lap.
Unread 12-10-2008, 03:03 AM   #13
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in the same boat as I have an 80GB Zune. I looked all over and there isn't much which really pisses me off. I'd be more than willing to drop $300+ on a head unit if it just offered Zune support but everyone wants to slob-knob Apple so the freakin' iPod gets everything instead. I tore out the crappy JVC the previous owner had in there and I'm in dire need of tunes so I'm just going to bite the bullet for now and get an Alpine with mp3 capability and AUX-IN for my Zune.

I did find a few things though:

http://www.neocaraudio.com/index.php
"Neo Car Audio will be first to offer "iPod adapters" for the new Microsoft ZUNE! We have interfaces for the majority of aftermarket radios and stock radios as well! Coming very soon!"

http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?r...ategoryid=263&

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticconi View Post
im getting the 8gb and what do you mean by customize? i don't want to use a flash drive i would much rather use my zune, the radio's in yj's are very inconvenient to be leaning over all the time so i would just rather use the zune in my lap.
You can customize the 4/8/16/80/120 but not all colors are available for all sizes.

https://zunestore.net/us/catalog/Cus...(ZuneCatalog)/

Last edited by PhilipJ; 12-10-2008 at 05:25 AM..
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 08:01 AM   #14
ticconi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for that neocaraudio link ill keep checking that, your right though kinda sucks all these manufacturers are sucking on apple's teet. there is a million dollar idea start a company that markets auto head units for zunes lol.
Unread 12-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #15
runnerboy2010
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaab2 View Post
buy my brown gen 1 zune brandnew. just opened box for 75$ pm me
how many gigs? i might take it

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.