Mapping a Trail In Advance? Creating GPX Track Files For Your GPS Using Google Earth - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Mapping a Trail In Advance? Creating GPX Track Files For Your GPS Using Google Earth

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

Mapping a Trail In Advance? Creating GPX Track Files For Your GPS Using Google Earth

Has anyone done this successfully for off-road trails that you haven't been on yet? Does it work well?

This is totally new to me, I just heard-say that you can create a track using Google Earth, save it out as a KML file, and then convert it to GPX using GPSBabel. After that, you can use GPSBabel or the software supplied with your GPS to upload the track to your GPS.

Where do you suggest that I go online to learn more?

follow the general rule of off-roading, "Go as slow as you can, as fast as you must."
I'm on the Web: geres.ca
TrailRated2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm using this on my Garmin and it has most of the trails I've been on showing up.
http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/
Only issue is that it only works on Garmin units.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.