Manual fan control - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Manual fan control

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
r3d70
1970 FSJ Gladiator 

Manual fan control

A little backstory- 2002 Grand Cheroke. The electric fan on the radiator stopped working, causing it to overheat anytime im doing under 40mph. Ended up blowing up the radiator. I replaced everything to do with the cooling system, including the radiator fan controller, and the fan still does not turn on. Its still a good fan, jumpers straight to the battery turn it on. So instead of messing around with the factory wiring, im just going to hook up a little switch to run the fan when im driving in the city. Right now the wiring looks like this: battery to switch, to led light, fan, ground. My question is where should i put a fuse? I know i need to have one in there somewhere, i just dont know if it should be between the battery and the on/off switch, or between the switch and the fan. Any thoughts?

r3d70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You really need to add a relay in there.....

Fuse should go as close to the battery as possible.

Sent from my phone
relaywire.jpg

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
r3d70
1970 FSJ Gladiator 

Hey thanks! I'll see what i can find around here.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
r3d70
1970 FSJ Gladiator 

So another question due to my ignorance and curiosity, if you don't mind, what are the bennefits of running a relay over just wiring everything direct?
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You can use less of the expensive heavy gauge wire, you can also use a cheaper lighter duty switch, and all of the amp draw is under the hood, so if in the event the circuit malfunctions and overheats any tire is contained to the engine compartment.

The other main advantage in my opinion is that you can grab power for the switch from a keyed source (only on when the key is on) and the fan will shut off when you turn the motor off, so your not left with a dead battery.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.