Low Rpms - Brake Lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Low Rpms - Brake Lights

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-27-2014, 12:58 AM   #1
WranglerTL
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Low Rpms - Brake Lights

Hello Guys,

I am facing several problems with my wrangler 2000 , TJ 4.0 L.
The first one not sure what happened the brake lights stopped working, the mechanics here were I am are not the most efficient and experts and spare parts are almost impossible to find, and electronics to connect to the car and check problems…don't seem to be available, some say its the switch of the brake pedal. How can I verify this?

The second major problem is the situation that the car when on park raises the rpms like crazy till near 2000 rpms, took it to mechanic and they say cleaned carb but it needs to change the trohttle body were all the sensors are!!

They changed ignition coil that it was cracked and managed, seems to me, to get the car more or less going and running, because the first time it came out of the workshop, he refused to fire up when cold!!

Now after second intervention when the shift is in first he looses rpms, not stalling or shutting down but real near to shut down!!. It seems that the motor is almost going to stop. Any ideas or advises to help me on this one??

KR

WranglerTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2014, 03:46 AM   #2
WranglerTL
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Should i try to clean it myself without taking the trohttle body out, and spray IAC and Map and risk to clean them….myself? I will not find the rubber of iac if i break it and I already try to send some carb cleaner trough trottle entrance to try and clean IAC a little and must say…nothing better happened!!! But did not disconnect map and iac to clean it as i saw here...
Unread 07-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
WranglerTL
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hi Guys,

Got a tip from a friend intake manifold or vacuum leak…could it be?…
I have been running the forum for tech tips but really not sure what to check what could be the problem…and how to identify them...
Unread 07-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
WranglerTL
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Guys no help here??
Unread 07-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
1987_yj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure how many wires connect onto the TJ brake light switch, but if you know what color is the 12vdc power and the color that goes to the lights you can connect those terminals together an see if the lights turn on. Or just replace the switch. They tend to wear out over time.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
1987_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Search this site for factory service manual, it will show the location of the brake light switch and wiring. A leak is possible. with the Jeep running, spray throttle cleaner around the outside and see if the engine boggs down. that will get you close.
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 05:51 AM   #7
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You could clean the TB and IAC.
Search for a vac leak by slowly spraying (tb cleaner, or wd40) around the TB and intake near engine. When the rpm change you found your leak. Even spray around the injectors.

As for the break lights there are common problems with the brake switch, grounds and sockets. Clean the grounds. Verify no breaks in the wires. Use a multimeter to check the switch and grounds. Also check your fuses.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.