loss of some power to subs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > loss of some power to subs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 04-23-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Slippy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

loss of some power to subs

Here's my set up:
Stock HU (RBK)
MTX Thunder 202 (powering sub)
JBL CS 50.4 powering (4) 5 1/4" (Focals up front, Infinity Reference in rear)
10" Toby bandpass sub behind seat

Here's my problem:
It seems as though the sub does not always have the same thump. This morning I had a Tool CD in and had to put the Bass on at about 25% and it was still thumping incredibly hard...This afternoon I could put the bass all the way up and it was about the same as the 25% earlier in the day. I checked all of the connections and couldn't find the problem. Any ideas what could cause this?

Last edited by Slippy; 04-24-2006 at 06:14 AM..
Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
frumpy

Problem is your box. Get a good ported box, the difference will be huge. The quality will be better and it will sound more consistant. New headunit wouldnt hurt either.
frumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
Slippy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Definitley not the box. The box is outstanding. Why do you think that? What explaniation is there for the power loss? Sounds like I have the bass turned down to about 1/4, but it's not. The head unit does suck, but I am keeping it since it makes the system non-apparent.
Unread 04-23-2006, 07:01 PM   #4
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Were you listening to the same track? Did other conditions change, such as window's being up / down, heavier traffic, etc? I always notice my stuff sounds much louder at night, and it's just because there aren't other cars/trucks/semi's around me causing the noise floor level to be so high.
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2006, 07:10 PM   #5
frumpy

bandpass boxes are terrible. There is no such thing as a good bandpass box. The idea of them allows the sound (volume) to be maximized but the sound is extrememly inconsistant and the quality suffers. A friend of min bought used subs in a bandpass box we hooked them up to 1000 watt amp sounded good but would hit wierd highs and lows. Put them into an old ported box i had (custom job, $350 box) the difference was rediculous. Just about as loud but very good quality.
Unread 04-23-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
Slippy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The top has been off all day. Yeah I tried the same track (several times). It could just be my head, but it seems like the thump is not as strong. The amp is under the back seat. Could it be overheating (today is upper 80's outside) and powering down?
Unread 04-23-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
Slippy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frumpy
bandpass boxes are terrible. There is no such thing as a good bandpass box. The idea of them allows the sound (volume) to be maximized but the sound is extrememly inconsistant and the quality suffers. A friend of min bought used subs in a bandpass box we hooked them up to 1000 watt amp sounded good but would hit wierd highs and lows. Put them into an old ported box i had (custom job, $350 box) the difference was rediculous. Just about as loud but very good quality.

The box I have sounds good. I really think it has to do with the HU or AMP

http://www.toby.com/SUBWOOFE/advbp.htm
Unread 04-23-2006, 08:07 PM   #8
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frumpy
Sounds like all your experience is with pre-made universal style bandpasses. Try something made specifically for the sub being used. A bandpass can give flat-as-a-card-table responce over a wide range of frequencies and sound very good. Most pre-made ones are designed for that "look at me" bass peak around 60 hz, with crap everywhere else.

You can't make a sweeping generalization because of one setup you heard.
Unread 04-23-2006, 08:29 PM   #9
frumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam728
Sounds like all your experience is with pre-made universal style bandpasses. Try something made specifically for the sub being used. A bandpass can give flat-as-a-card-table responce over a wide range of frequencies and sound very good. Most pre-made ones are designed for that "look at me" bass peak around 60 hz, with crap everywhere else.

You can't make a sweeping generalization because of one setup you heard.

Actually I have heard quite a few. My friend designs boxes for MTX thump and several other companies. The boxes I have had have all been custom made and designed by him and made using CNC machines.
Unread 04-23-2006, 09:29 PM   #10
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've heard a couple 4th order bandpass boxes that sounded good.

Prefab=crap.

1999.5 Ford F250
6.8l V10 l Auto l 4WD l 4" Spring Lift | 4.30 Gears | 35" Treadwright MT/R's

Youtube

Twitter
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2006, 09:35 PM   #11
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Good example of a quality 4th order bandpass.

1999.5 Ford F250

Youtube

Twitter
Unread 04-23-2006, 10:07 PM   #12
frumpy

Thats pretty interesting havent seen anything like that, id like to hear it.
Unread 04-24-2006, 05:05 AM   #13
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wicked one, I so want to build one of those. Just need some extra $$$ and a table saw. Someday, someday. Is that yours? How do you like it? Using it in-car or home? Nice subs, RE kicks ***.....

frumpy - just because the ones you heard were custom doesn't mean they were designed for a flat responce. Like I said before, most bandpasses are built to give that big bass in the middle range, maybe 45-80 hz, and fall off sharply before and after that. You can make them have a very flat responce, you just lose output. My buddy whipped one up for a JL 8-WO, that little thing sounded amazing. It hit great from 30 hz all the way up to his crossover point, which I believe was 80-90.
Unread 04-24-2006, 07:58 AM   #14
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam728
Wicked one, I so want to build one of those. Just need some extra $$$ and a table saw. Someday, someday. Is that yours? How do you like it? Using it in-car or home? Nice subs, RE kicks ***.....

frumpy - just because the ones you heard were custom doesn't mean they were designed for a flat responce. Like I said before, most bandpasses are built to give that big bass in the middle range, maybe 45-80 hz, and fall off sharply before and after that. You can make them have a very flat responce, you just lose output. My buddy whipped one up for a JL 8-WO, that little thing sounded amazing. It hit great from 30 hz all the way up to his crossover point, which I believe was 80-90.
No, it's not mine. I saw it on Caraudio.com a while back, and I've always wanted to copy the idea. They look like RE SX 10's.

1999.5 Ford F250

Youtube

Twitter
Unread 04-24-2006, 11:02 AM   #15
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
No, it's not mine. I saw it on Caraudio.com a while back, and I've always wanted to copy the idea. They look like RE SX 10's.
Full design plans are available from the company that came up with that box, www.decware.com . It's supposed to have an extremely flat response and get loud because of the horn. Sounds like a great setup for an open air Jeep TJ that can't rely on cabin gain. Unfortunatly I don't really have room, so I want to build one for the house.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.