Looking for some feedback on a new TJ Navigation and Multimedia entertainment unit - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Looking for some feedback on a new TJ Navigation and Multimedia entertainment unit

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #76
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude View Post
Wow! If that guy would make one for TJs he'd really have something.
There's a DIY on here to fit a double DIN in a TJ.

JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #77
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
There's a DIY on here to fit a double DIN in a TJ.
It can certainly be done, but you'll end up either hacking up your dash or making a custom fiberglass console. The latter is the way to do it right, but it's a heck of a lot of work.

Of course... we think we've got a much better option.

...did we mention that we've got 3D topography both on and offroad?
insane_navengine_2.jpg  
InsaneJeepAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #78
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You ever get those hardware specs from your guys to see what this unit is running or is this hush hush info?
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #79
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
You ever get those hardware specs from your guys to see what this unit is running or is this hush hush info?
Sorry for the delayed reply. Management has asked us not to post detailed hardware specs due to the problems we are having with other companies trying to knock off our product. Rest assured, however, that our hardware is more then adequate to support all the features and functionality of the TJ1001. In addition, we've added strong electronics shock protection to all of our components and actually took the time to test it out on the trail.

Lastly, it's worth noting that our our unit also works with all factory options (including factory premium sound systems)... the cheap overseas units won't work with the upgraded factory systems (such as the infinity 7 speaker upgrade) since their amp is a POS and can't drive the system.
Unread 05-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #80
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Can you share the signal-to-noise ratio of the internal 45 watt x4 RMS amplifier? Kinda important detail if you are thinking you want to go without an external amp yet have decent sound. Also it's 45 x 4, it powers the factory sub as well? Doesn't that make it more like a five channel amp? Thanks, Brian.

*edit...

Also how many RCA outputs does the TJ1001 have? Are they 4volt or higher?

My Rig

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1072569/
bbusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #81
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusch View Post
Can you share the signal-to-noise ratio of the internal 45 watt x4 RMS amplifier? Kinda important detail if you are thinking you want to go without an external amp yet have decent sound. Also it's 45 x 4, it powers the factory sub as well? Doesn't that make it more like a five channel amp? Thanks, Brian.

*edit...

Also how many RCA outputs does the TJ1001 have? Are they 4volt or higher?
The signal to noise ratio is designed to be 80db or better. As far as pre-outs go, there are 5 line level outputs -- Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right, Sub.

On the factory premium systems, Jeep actually put in a powered sub but the signal to it is a bit finicky so it doesn't work with all aftermarket units... the TJ1001 works great with it.

I've got the 7 speaker system in my Rubicon with the TJ1001 and it sounds awesome. In fact, we've used this rig as a demo before and I'm still running the stock speakers.
Unread 05-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #82
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneJeepAudio View Post
The signal to noise ratio is designed to be 80db or better. As far as pre-outs go, there are 5 line level outputs -- Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right, Sub.

Line level... assuming that makes it a weaker signal than a powered output at say 2 or 4 volts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneJeepAudio View Post
On the factory premium systems, Jeep actually put in a powered sub but the signal to it is a bit finicky so it doesn't work with all aftermarket units... the TJ1001 works great with it..

I don't quite understand your answer here.. how does it power the sub? Maybe it's my lack of understanding how Chrysler/Infinity tied the subwoofer into the system, possibly they tied into one of the rear channels then filtered the subwoofer.(?) I am wondering if they are 8 ohm and the TJ1001 is also 8 ohm and perhaps that's why the subwoofer doesn't work too well with aftermarket receivers (most aftermarket radios being 4 ohm)... looking for thoughts/answers from those that are knowledgeable on the stock system.

My Rig

Unread 05-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #83
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The factory amp is attached to the sub enclosure. The amp has a large connector with a lot of wires. IIRC, it somehow is signaled by all 4 main chanels. I don't remember where the power comes from though. The sub is 8ohm, and I think 100w.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2014, 12:13 AM   #84
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusch View Post
Line level... assuming that makes it a weaker signal than a powered output at say 2 or 4 volts?

I don't quite understand your answer here.. how does it power the sub? Maybe it's my lack of understanding how Chrysler/Infinity tied the subwoofer into the system, possibly they tied into one of the rear channels then filtered the subwoofer.(?) I am wondering if they are 8 ohm and the TJ1001 is also 8 ohm and perhaps that's why the subwoofer doesn't work too well with aftermarket receivers (most aftermarket radios being 4 ohm)... looking for thoughts/answers from those that are knowledgeable on the stock system.
The outputs are at 4 volts.. sorry for not clarifying.

With respect to the Infinity systems.. the sub is its own separate system with its own power amp. It's triggered by all four channels, however, as mentioned -- its a bit finicky. Chrysler put in a bunch of protection circuitry where, for example, if it detects even something like a polarity imbalance then the sub won't kick on. There were a few other nuances we had to deal with during testing, but the bottom line was that we eventually figured it out... as mentioned, the sub reads all four channels and has its own power amp but essentially any imbalance in the system causes it to not play nicely.
Unread 05-10-2014, 12:32 AM   #85
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
The factory amp is attached to the sub enclosure. The amp has a large connector with a lot of wires. IIRC, it somehow is signaled by all 4 main chanels. I don't remember where the power comes from though. The sub is 8ohm, and I think 100w.
It's been a few years since we were testing all this, but I'm pretty sure there is both a trigger wire and a power wire for the sub system in the radio wiring harness. If anyone ever needs this info for some reason, I can go dig up my notes and tell you what color wires are what.. but that powers the amp plus it also is triggered by all 4 sets of speaker wires.

It's kind of a wacky system to be honest... but it sounds decent for something that came from the factory.
Unread 05-10-2014, 03:10 AM   #86
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That's right. It's been so many years since I messed with that mess (early 2004). I remembered the amp but didn't think back to how it was wired in, it was a harness and the above explanation as wacky as it is makes since. My post above I was thinking simple along the line of input but now I remember the fin'd amp that I ripped off the enclosure to wire in a JL 6w0. Never worried about the harness cause I added a JL amp and ran the pods and sub separate before later (September 2005) changing the receiver to my beloved Alpine 9855 and going completely aftermarket.

Insane, thanks for updating. That's good info and definitely helps me value the unit (TJ1001) for what I do.

My Rig

Unread 06-18-2014, 07:09 AM   #87
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Question InsaneJeepAudio,

Doing some looking around I stumbled on your NAV engines user manual - http://www.insanejeepaudio.com/Insan...ion_Manual.pdf

Now after looking through it, the interface itself as well as menus & manual looked quite familiar. Turned out they match pretty darn close to

http://download.naviextras.com/conte...rManual_UK.PDF

The second link is a manual for iGO Primo 2.. your NAV looks to be skinned over with pretty much identical menus etc as a standard iGO 2 interface. I know iGO also has 2D & 3D maps, and offroad functionality along with buildings etc..

Care to enlighten us? Is your NAV based on iGO 2 but just skinned over?
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #88
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Question InsaneJeepAudio,

Doing some looking around I stumbled on your NAV engines user manual - http://www.insanejeepaudio.com/Insan...ion_Manual.pdf

Now after looking through it, the interface itself as well as menus & manual looked quite familiar. Turned out they match pretty darn close to

http://download.naviextras.com/conte...rManual_UK.PDF

The second link is a manual for iGO Primo 2.. your NAV looks to be skinned over with pretty much identical menus etc as a standard iGO 2 interface. I know iGO also has 2D & 3D maps, and offroad functionality along with buildings etc..

Care to enlighten us? Is your NAV based on iGO 2 but just skinned over?
Hi, there. Insane NavEngine (our nav software) is built by NNG --- one of the largest developers of GPS software in the world. They also happen to make IGO. You'll see a lot of similarities between Insane NavEngine and IGO and you'll also see a lot of areas where the software and/or data was customized for our purposes.

They make damn fine software if we do say so.
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #89
BillBert
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Is Insane a "real company", or is it operated out of someone's basement? No physical address, no phone number. I would like to talk to a real person and for $1,250 a pop, you'd think they'd be easy to contact.
BillBert is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.