Looking for some feedback on a new TJ Navigation and Multimedia entertainment unit - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Looking for some feedback on a new TJ Navigation and Multimedia entertainment unit

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 04-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #61
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneJeepAudio
That link is dead and NO you can not upgrade the pirated ones easily. They don't have licensed software. As mentioned many, many times before.. the only ones I have seen that actually include GPS software use an ancient copy of iGO. This is a decade old and doesn't have 1/10th the functionality that Insane NavEngine has. No 3D topography, outdated maps, no updates and not even close to any of the features and functionality that comes with Insane NavEngine. Our software, like most modern software is copy protected so you won't be able to run it on pirated kit. I'll have to chat with one of our engineers to get a hardware spec sheet but on that topic -- our hardware is also vastly superior to these knockoffs.
Link works for me..

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #62
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Link works for me..

The link on that page where you actually go to "download the latest firmware"?

We suspect it was removed due to copyright infringement.
InsaneJeepAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 06:30 AM   #63
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneJeepAudio View Post
The link on that page where you actually go to "download the latest firmware"?

We suspect it was removed due to copyright infringement.
Odd.. the link worked that day..

Anyways its on here..

http://www.cardct.com/firmware-updates

With lots of other information on here

http://www.roadnav.com/
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
Unread 04-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #64
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Odd.. the link worked that day..

Anyways its on here..

http://www.cardct.com/firmware-updates

With lots of other information on here

http://www.roadnav.com/
Ahhh. OK. Roadnav is apparently free open source navigation software. Sure. You can use that. Just remember... you get what you pay for.

This -- http://roadnav.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php is certainly not the same as this -- http://www.insanejeepaudio.com/IA_Features.html
Unread 04-30-2014, 03:07 AM   #65
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneJeepAudio
Ahhh. OK. Roadnav is apparently free open source navigation software. Sure. You can use that. Just remember... you get what you pay for. This -- http://roadnav.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php is certainly not the same as this -- http://www.insanejeepaudio.com/IA_Features.html
Yea i hear ya. Any luck on the hardware specs? Curious to know what you got running in your unit

My Progress Page
Unread 04-30-2014, 06:48 AM   #66
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a few comments and questions.

●Will you ever offer a product with reduced features at a reduced price?
I'm sure many people don't have a use for TV/video on a 4" screen with a funny viewing angle.

●An IPOD Classic can hold 160GB of music/movies/tv shows/audio books/podcasts. That's probably more than anything else you'll plug into a car stereo. At this pricepoint , I expect touch screen controls to be better than the IPOD controls (and the Classic IPOD still isn't touch screen).

●Is smart phone functionality controlled through the touch screen (Pandora, phone media, calls)? If I'm paying for a bluetooth chip to be hands free with my phone, my phone better be able to stay in my pocket. I am skeptical of the call quality, but hands-free devices rarely work as well as advertised in Jeeps. Even my near-perfect-review Jawbone earpiece didn't work well enough to use above 45mph.

●What is the simultaneous RMS of your amp? Sony has advertised 4x45w for over a decade, but the fine print says that is max power to a single chanel. RMS when powering all 4 channels is MUCH lower.

●The sat radio news is a disappointment, but maybe I misunderstood. The major stereo companies have either a built-in, or add-on antenna. The stereo is the controller, and is registered with SiriusXM as the receiver. At >$1000, that functionality should be unwaveringly standard.

●Can your nav software support the popular topo maps loaded on SD cards? There are many good apps for tablets/phones that use free (or subscription based) sources for high quality topo maps. Over on Expedition Portal (another forum and potential demographic) they have a section dedicated to GPS and mapping software. Those folks regularly fill up a 32gb SD card with topo's for trips. Many of them use tablets or laptops as their primary overland GPS, and in-dash or Garmin type units for pavement.

●What makes your product unique from your competitors? I can think of three things.
1) TV (opulence)
2) Factory look
3) Topo maps
4) ?????
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 08:04 AM   #67
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert
The sat radio news is a disappointment, but maybe I misunderstood. The major stereo companies have either a built-in, or add-on antenna. The stereo is the controller, and is registered with SiriusXM as the receiver. At >$1000, that functionality should be unwaveringly standard.
If you have an iPhone or Android you don't need sat hardware in a head unit. Just download the SiriusXM app and stream it right from your phone via USB or Bluetooth. I've been doing this for over 5 years now. And the Sirius (internet account) is actually cheaper.

Sent from my JeepForum using iPhone...oh wait...what?...
T-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #68
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Jay View Post
If you have an iPhone or Android you don't need sat hardware in a head unit. Just download the SiriusXM app and stream it right from your phone via USB or Bluetooth. I've been doing this for over 5 years now. And the Sirius (internet account) is actually cheaper.

1) 3rd-party-device work arounds for basic industry standard features at this pricepoint is an unacceptable (and lazy) solution.

2) What if you don't have a smart phone or the data plan to support your listening habits? How much data does the app go through in an hour? When I had unlimited 3G data I would burn through 2+gb a month just using pandora on low quality. Now I go through my 2gb 4G limit w/o streaming music or videos. Sirius is cheaper than going from a 2gb to a 6gb plan. I could add a couple extra receivers before breaking even.

3) Even my POS $80 JVC stereo only needs an (optional) antenna to play Sirius. It also has an (optional) IPOD cable, but the menu navigation is HORRIBLE with a traditional single DIN display.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
Unread 04-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #69
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
I have a few comments and questions.

●Will you ever offer a product with reduced features at a reduced price?
I'm sure many people don't have a use for TV/video on a 4" screen with a funny viewing angle.

Firstly, just to clarify -- we don't set the end price. We are a manufacturer. Our retail partners set the final price... so keep an eye out and there may be a sale from time to time.

Because this is a head unit designed for older vehicles, we are only ever going to offer one model. Yes, some of our features are over the top -- but so is our quality. We could have made a cheaper model, but we are also interested in building a brand and our reputation is important. Insane Audio built the ABSOLUTE BEST head unit for TJ's. Period. Nothing will ever come close to the quality or features this unit.

●An IPOD Classic can hold 160GB of music/movies/tv shows/audio books/podcasts. That's probably more than anything else you'll plug into a car stereo. At this pricepoint , I expect touch screen controls to be better than the IPOD controls (and the Classic IPOD still isn't touch screen).

It's important to note that the TJ1001 comes with an iPOD cable and will control your iPOD from the touch screeen, HOWEVER, we can only support iPODS up to 32GB. For a 160GB iPOD, you'll have to use the aux input and will need to control your music through the ipod itself.

●Is smart phone functionality controlled through the touch screen (Pandora, phone media, calls)? If I'm paying for a bluetooth chip to be hands free with my phone, my phone better be able to stay in my pocket. I am skeptical of the call quality, but hands-free devices rarely work as well as advertised in Jeeps. Even my near-perfect-review Jawbone earpiece didn't work well enough to use above 45mph.

Yes! Bluetooth audio, for example, can stream Pandora (or .mp3's stored on your phone) and you can pause, go to the next track, etc from the touch screen.

Call quality is surprisingly good -- we went through a fairly painful process with the on-board microphone in the R&D phase. We tested about a dozen options and struggled with getting the hardware to fit properly but ultimately we got it right. Our goal was to make it so you can talk just like the person was sitting next to you in your Jeep. So... if the top is down and you're doing 70MPH, then it will be just as hard to talk on the phone as it would be to scream to the person sitting next to you.

●What is the simultaneous RMS of your amp? Sony has advertised 4x45w for over a decade, but the fine print says that is max power to a single chanel. RMS when powering all 4 channels is MUCH lower.

We are 4x45 RMS, not peak. We don't believe in advertising peak as a means to "lure" customers in like a lot of companies do out there. The amp is good (better then stock) but not a competition amp. Pre-outs are there if you want to run your own aftermarket amps. (including a dedicated sub pre-out)

●The sat radio news is a disappointment, but maybe I misunderstood. The major stereo companies have either a built-in, or add-on antenna. The stereo is the controller, and is registered with SiriusXM as the receiver. At >$1000, that functionality should be unwaveringly standard.

This is a design philosophy. We don't believe in subscription services and the world is going in a different direction. We built a head unit where customers can store their entire music collection on a microSD card with no moving parts and stream media from the internet for free. Why would you want to pay for a subscription service? As many have mentioned, our retail price is high -- but you basically get everything you will ever need to play virtually any kind of media in your Jeep (usb, ipod, SD, DVD, bluetooth, etc). Our goal was to be the final solution for Jeepers.

As another poster mentioned... if you really want sat radio, you can just get an app on your smartphone and stream it via bluetooth.

●Can your nav software support the popular topo maps loaded on SD cards? There are many good apps for tablets/phones that use free (or subscription based) sources for high quality topo maps. Over on Expedition Portal (another forum and potential demographic) they have a section dedicated to GPS and mapping software. Those folks regularly fill up a 32gb SD card with topo's for trips. Many of them use tablets or laptops as their primary overland GPS, and in-dash or Garmin type units for pavement.

This isn't necessary. Insane NavEngine includes USGS topography and renders it in full 3D. This is overlaid on the maps and you can use it both on and offroad. Our 3D topography is awesome.

●What makes your product unique from your competitors? I can think of three things.
1) TV (opulence)
2) Factory look
3) Topo maps
4) ?????
Firstly.. there aren't any competitors. There are some cheap knockoffs out there now that are trying to imitate our product but these are all far inferior (and either use crap or pirated software). Then there is the RB1 which has ancient technology. Aside from those, the TJ1001 is the ONLY option that fits a late model TJ dash. We fit PERFECTLY and connect to the stock wiring harness.

Secondly, Insane NavEngine (our navigation software) is awesome. Rich, full 3D topography (on and offroad) and its even pre-loaded with tens of thousands of offroad trails. The interface, software, options, etc are second to none.

Then there is all the other stuff... microSD on board (no moving parts, no skipping and you can store movies, music, etc). Bluetooth is common, but our quality for calls is exceptional and even the new JK's don't stream Bluetooth audio. (we not only stream it, but you can control it from the head unit). USB inputs on the front and the glove box (again.. movies or music), included iPOD cable (you don't need to buy a separate adapter or pay extra for the cable), the DVD player supports just about any format (NTSC, PAL, MP3's, etc..).... and the feature list goes on. Basically -- the TJ1001 was designed to be able to play just about any media you've got in your Jeep.

Lastly... our build quality is second to none. The TJ1001 has strong electronic shock protection. It's built for a Jeep and is built to last.
Unread 04-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #70
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you for addressing my points. I respect the decision you've made regarding the Sat radio. I like seeing a company take a moral position and stick to it. I personally agree with you, and use free Pandora, my IPOD, and normal radio. All my SatRad points were purely from a Joe Consumer standpoint.

32GB is roughly 24 days at 128kb/s, which is indeed a massive amount of music. Hard to argue the average person would need more space.

Glad to here you're straightforward with your amp rating. It's so hard to get meaningful numbers these days. And as you know, TJ's don't have much room for an amp.

Your nav software is getting more interesting. I don't really care about the street stuff, but the preloaded national topo library is intriguing. I'm not 100% on how detailed some of the high end maps are, but I know for a fact they include official trail overlays and POI's for abanndoned places and things overland adventurers would find interesting. Can yours duplicate this?

I only asked about alternate products b/c the video and street nav are of zero interest to me. The double din units place a hefty premium on the street navigation. I was hoping for a chance at a trimmed down version in the future. Your MSRP and 4wd's adherence to it prices it out of my foreseeable reach. I already have thousands of dollars spoken for on higher priority Jeep parts. Eventually I will have money burning a hole in my pocket though.
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2014, 10:37 AM   #71
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert
1) 3rd-party-device work arounds for basic industry standard features at this pricepoint is an unacceptable (and lazy) solution. 2) What if you don't have a smart phone or the data plan to support your listening habits? How much data does the app go through in an hour? When I had unlimited 3G data I would burn through 2+gb a month just using pandora on low quality. Now I go through my 2gb 4G limit w/o streaming music or videos. Sirius is cheaper than going from a 2gb to a 6gb plan. I could add a couple extra receivers before breaking even. 3) Even my POS $80 JVC stereo only needs an (optional) antenna to play Sirius. It also has an (optional) IPOD cable, but the menu navigation is HORRIBLE with a traditional single DIN display.
Well...if you don't have a smart phone and or can not afford an adequate data plan, why would you even consider a head unit this advanced in the first place? The SXM app is hardly a "lazy work around". I've driven several cars equipped with sat radio and none of their interfaces were even close to being as user friendly as the app.

T-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #72
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350/...adio_(SiriusXM)
There's some of your competition. I'm not even thinking about the Chinese knock offs. By competition I mean devices which offer similar features as yours. Companies like Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC.

Thanks for taking the time to give me a thorough advertisement though. I think I got two answers.
None of those fit.

You did notice that I responded to each of your bullet points above, right? You had some great questions and I took the time to address each one of them.
Unread 04-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #73
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
None of those fit.

You did notice that I responded to each of your bullet points above, right? You had some great questions and I took the time to address each one of them.
I just noticed you responded within the quote. I'm using the mobile app so there's zero formatting and I just scrolled to the bottom of the quoted section. I'll go back and read the rest. And change my irritated reply.
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #74
profdlp
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
None of those fit...
For $140 bucks they will.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E8SA5P0/
profdlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #75
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
For $140 bucks they will.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E8SA5P0/
Wow! If that guy would make one for TJs he'd really have something.

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.