Looking for some feedback on a new TJ Navigation and Multimedia entertainment unit - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Looking for some feedback on a new TJ Navigation and Multimedia entertainment unit

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #46
91Z28
2001 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETO-Jeep-Gra...item3f194261b2

91Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #47
profdlp
2007 KJ Liberty 

My main interest in something like this is:

1) Looks more "natural" style-wise in the dashboard than an aftermarket Single-Din Head Unit
2) No need for a clunky separate GPS (see item 1)

I'd be willing to pay a premium of $100-$125 dollars above the combined price of the above two units separately, which would put my budget at about $450 tops.

($225 HU + $100 GPS + $125 for the convenience of having a single-unit do both.)
profdlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #48
AARONautics101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28 View Post
So let me get this straight, most of the whole unit is supplied by a Chinese manufacturer, you piece it together, you install a legalized copy of IGO8, tweak the UI, add a "JEEP" logo on the start-up screen, call it "yours" and slap a 1250 dollar price tag on it ? The only benefit i see here is the warranty, only because you'll have to replace these things instead of repair them, as it's unlikely you'll repair something you didn't build in house, (i imagine you'll send the broken units back to the company you purchased from for some kind of reimbursement.) Explain to me why id want to buy the same unit manufactured by the same people in china for 850 dollars more ? Updated Maps are readily available on the internet if you know where to look, which would be the same maps you'd be offering. I'm sorry to be a jerk, but i don't see it being a value at all over the 300-450 dollar eBay units, which is "virtually" the same radio.
Yeah, I think they pretty much priced themselves out of bussiness.

The unit is a Koolertron QL-JEP816. There is a you tube video of it (search marco garcia jeep) it was found locally (in Texas) for $400.
AARONautics101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #49
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28 View Post
So let me get this straight, most of the whole unit is supplied by a Chinese manufacturer, you piece it together, you install a legalized copy of IGO8, tweak the UI, add a "JEEP" logo on the start-up screen, call it "yours" and slap a 1250 dollar price tag on it ? The only benefit i see here is the warranty, only because you'll have to replace these things instead of repair them, as it's unlikely you'll repair something you didn't build in house, (i imagine you'll send the broken units back to the company you purchased from for some kind of reimbursement.) Explain to me why id want to buy the same unit manufactured by the same people in china for 850 dollars more ? Updated Maps are readily available on the internet if you know where to look, which would be the same maps you'd be offering. I'm sorry to be a jerk, but i don't see it being a value at all over the 300-450 dollar eBay units, which is "virtually" the same radio.
We invested a LOT of dollars in R&D to build the TJ1001. These units were designed by us. We sent our specs to different factories for some key parts and per my earlier post, we had some serious quality issues. In addition, our early designs appear as if they are now being built. All of the units out there that aren't Insane Audio units are made by a different factory -- and they have the following issues (among others):

1). They WILL overheat.

2). They will NOT work with the upgraded premium 7 speaker sound system that was an option on most TJ's due to an internal amp wiring issue.

3). They may claim television support, but since we add the ATSC chip here, I know for a fact that none of them will support US digital TV. (this may seem minor, but it's the easiest way to identify where the unit came from)

4). There are many, many other quality issues from the DVD laser down to the actual knobs themselves.

Again - understand that what you are seeing is part of globalization at its finest. China is still the wild, wild west. When a design leaks out of a factory.. there are dozens of different factories out there that try to reproduce it. In addition, they don't license ANY of the software (including the operating system) so you are basically buying pirated kit. The advent of sites like Ali Express allow factories to try and sell wholesale units directly to the public, but again -- you get what you pay for. This is no different then buying a fake watch off the street. It is absolutely not the same unit.

And for the record, we aren't arbitrarily "marking stuff up" hundreds of dollars -- we are paying the legal license fees and recovering the r&d effort that has taken us a year.

It isn't easy to bring a new product to market but we are doing it the right way and stand by our quality 100%.
InsaneJeepAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #50
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That is a very nice head unit, I'm just not willing to spend as much as a cheap lift on it.
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #51
bsmoore225

CD's won't insert all the way...

I got my QL-JEP816 a couple months ago. I didn't try inserting a cd or DVD for a week or so and finally tried it, but it didn't take the cd in all the way. The little motor to suck it in works from what I heard, but the cd stopped going in at the last 1/4 inch of it for some reason. Does anyone know if this can be fixed or am I pretty much screwed cd/DVD wise?
bsmoore225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #52
quadpit
2003 WJ 

Yes it's expensive, and currently out of my price range, but I definitely would like to have one. Yes you can get a knock-off from China but like the OP says much of the features are pirated and support is non-existent. At least here we have a U.S. company we can contact with questions or warranty issues. I hope you are successful with your future sales and maybe they will come down in price over time. :-)
quadpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #53
rolandace
Rolandace

2003 XJ Cherokee 

I purchase the QL-Jep816 and had it install at best buy the installer said the controller will not work. The cd player work but the DVD dose not work. there was no owner manual that came with it . I have contact the seller but are no return e-mail for service
rolandace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 11:57 PM   #54
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Can you provide mapping software for Asian territories, or know where I might source it? I'm a US expat living in Taiwan. I've seen many cost-cut knock-off versions of your head unit over here. Some of which are mentioned in this thread, but according to most reviews I've read, the lower cost reflects lower quality and support. I don't mind paying more if buys peace of mind. I love finding new specialty companies and watching them grow. I had a GoPro clipped on my dash before most had ever heard of them. Hope this venture takes off for your guys!
T-Jay is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #55
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Jay View Post
Can you provide mapping software for Asian territories, or know where I might source it? I'm a US expat living in Taiwan. I've seen many cost-cut knock-off versions of your head unit over here. Some of which are mentioned in this thread, but according to most reviews I've read, the lower cost reflects lower quality and support. I don't mind paying more if buys peace of mind. I love finding new specialty companies and watching them grow. I had a GoPro clipped on my dash before most had ever heard of them. Hope this venture takes off for your guys!
See this unit here..

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Chrys...808794505.html

Just posted earlier over in the other Koolertron QL-JEP816 thread. No idea of its quality or how well it works. Maybe send the seller a question and ask for a video of it running?
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #56
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
See this unit here..

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Chrys...808794505.html

Just posted earlier over in the other Koolertron QL-JEP816 thread. No idea of its quality or how well it works. Maybe send the seller a question and ask for a video of it running?
Again -- these "Koolertron" units are all cheap knockoffs. The hardware is junk and NONE of them include licensed software and if they do come with GPS software, it's most likely a pirated version of iGO with outdated maps and no updates ever.

Insane Audio's TJ1001 comes with Insane NavEngine that not only has the guaranteed latest maps, but includes full 3D topography for navigation on and offroad and you can get updates and maps of other countries online.
Unread 04-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #57
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Jay View Post
Check out www.naviextras.com and select "Insane Audio" for the manufacturer. We have a lot of Asian territories available for download but I'm not sure if Taiwan is there...

Thanks for the good vibes!
Unread 04-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #58
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Seems like they can be upgraded pretty easily..

http://www.smartauto24.com/blog/?p=105

Whats the hardware in the InsaneAudio unit? What kind of CPU etc are you running?
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #59
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b
See this unit here.. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Chrys...808794505.html Just posted earlier over in the other Koolertron QL-JEP816 thread. No idea of its quality or how well it works. Maybe send the seller a question and ask for a video of it running?

Thanks for sharing the link, but I think you're missing my point. All of these other identical units are cheap knockoffs as explained earlier in this thread. I Live in Taiwan so I'm very familiar with cheap knockoffs. For example, when ever I have to buy a tool that is China made, I always buy two because the first one will undoubtedly break after only a few uses. I wouldn't waste my time with any of those other units. Also, in buying one of those copycat units, your more or less encouraging design theft, and spitting in the face of the guys who actually DID spent time and money on R&D.

Sent from my JeepForum using iPhone...oh wait...what?...
T-Jay is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #60
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Seems like they can be upgraded pretty easily..

http://www.smartauto24.com/blog/?p=105

Whats the hardware in the InsaneAudio unit? What kind of CPU etc are you running?
That link is dead and NO you can not upgrade the pirated ones easily. They don't have licensed software. As mentioned many, many times before.. the only ones I have seen that actually include GPS software use an ancient copy of iGO. This is a decade old and doesn't have 1/10th the functionality that Insane NavEngine has. No 3D topography, outdated maps, no updates and not even close to any of the features and functionality that comes with Insane NavEngine.

Our software, like most modern software is copy protected so you won't be able to run it on pirated kit.

I'll have to chat with one of our engineers to get a hardware spec sheet but on that topic -- our hardware is also vastly superior to these knockoffs.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.