Looking for some feedback on a new TJ Navigation and Multimedia entertainment unit - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Looking for some feedback on a new TJ Navigation and Multimedia entertainment unit

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #16
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hi, All. We currently do not have Sirius support but could look at it in future models if there is a real demand. In the research we did, most people didn't want to pay for subscription based radio services... especially since you can get Pandora for free through your smart phone...

InsaneJeepAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneJeepAudio View Post
Hi, All. We currently do not have Sirius support but could look at it in future models if there is a real demand. In the research we did, most people didn't want to pay for subscription based radio services... especially since you can get Pandora for free through your smart phone...
Of course, you could always get a stand alone sirius receiver and plug that into the aux input of the TJ1001...
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And if you are in an area with no cell connection?
ops5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #19
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ops5 View Post
And if you are in an area with no cell connection?
Just listen to the radio, like in the days of old!
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #20
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeep View Post

Just listen to the radio, like in the days of old!
I would, but I already have an RB1 and sirius radio.

My point to the comment you quoted was if you take your jeep offroad in remote areas, you might not have cell service, and cant get Pandora. A lot of places in the mountain west one cannot get cell service in places. Picking up a terrestrial radio signal may be difficult to impossible as well.

And in my market, there is absolutely nothing on the radio except pop and talk radio.

This is a nice radio, but they seem to have included everything except satellite. How many people actually want TV in their vehicles?
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #21
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would like to see a satellite view on the NAV similar to Google maps, and also a traffic view and street view. What NAV software is it running? I like the backup camera options too, maybe add another one. If you had a HDMI plug similar to what the new phones had it would be easy to run Google etc. Thru the unit as well.

I would be interested in one of these if all the functions I listed were available.
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #22
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ops5 View Post
I would, but I already have an RB1 and sirius radio.

My point to the comment you quoted was if you take your jeep offroad in remote areas, you might not have cell service, and cant get Pandora. A lot of places in the mountain west one cannot get cell service in places. Picking up a terrestrial radio signal may be difficult to impossible as well.

And in my market, there is absolutely nothing on the radio except pop and talk radio.

This is a nice radio, but they seem to have included everything except satellite. How many people actually want TV in their vehicles?
You are correct in that you don't have many options in remote areas for radio aside from things like Sirus... but with a 32 gig SD card, you can store every album you've ever owned on board...

Admittedly, the TV thing is pretty over the top.. but the other day, when my girlfriend was shopping for shoes I had a pretty good time waiting in the parking lot and watching the laker game in my Jeep! Is it necessary? Absolutely not. But it's pretty damn cool.

I think the big difference is more around the philosophy of having technology that is standard instead of subscription based services. This thing basically has every bit of technology you need to do just about everything you want... without paying for any subscriptions.
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatlord View Post
I would like to see a satellite view on the NAV similar to Google maps, and also a traffic view and street view. What NAV software is it running? I like the backup camera options too, maybe add another one. If you had a HDMI plug similar to what the new phones had it would be easy to run Google etc. Thru the unit as well.

I would be interested in one of these if all the functions I listed were available.
Actually.. they're still developing the nav bits and pieces. It's custom nav software so it should have a few cool things for offroad use (yay!). The test unit I'm running has 2d maps, 3d maps (with 3d cityscapes), turn-by-turn and a bunch of other stuff. I know it can use either garmin or tomtom maps and will have full support for updates. I think the one I'm running has tomtom maps but I don't know what the unit will ship with. Users will be able to go online and update maps and get other points of interest, etc.

I'm pretty sure they aren't going to have HDMI inputs this time around since the hardware is already finalized... but there is an aux video input that could be used for that. You could put a HDMI female plug in the dash and convert it to an RCA video feed.. it could be done.

FYI -- we did something similar on my test vehicle with respect to audio. The TJ1001 has RCA audio input, but we put a female 3.5mm jack in the dash (a standard headphone jack) so you can plug an aux audio device right into the dash. It's cool if you wanted to... say... plug an electric guitar into your jeep.
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #24
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hey, Meatlord! One of my favorite bumper stickers of all time --

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, they wouldn't be made of meat."
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Actually.. they're still developing the nav bits and pieces. It's custom nav software so it should have a few cool things for offroad use (yay!). The test unit I'm running has 2d maps, 3d maps (with 3d cityscapes), turn-by-turn and a bunch of other stuff. I know it can use either garmin or tomtom maps and will have full support for updates. I think the one I'm running has tomtom maps but I don't know what the unit will ship with. Users will be able to go online and update maps and get other points of interest, etc.

I'm pretty sure they aren't going to have HDMI inputs this time around since the hardware is already finalized... but there is an aux video input that could be used for that. You could put a HDMI female plug in the dash and convert it to an RCA video feed.. it could be done.

FYI -- we did something similar on my test vehicle with respect to audio. The TJ1001 has RCA audio input, but we put a female 3.5mm jack in the dash (a standard headphone jack) so you can plug an aux audio device right into the dash. It's cool if you wanted to... say... plug an electric guitar into your jeep.

Here is what it looks like...
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #26
Agar426
1974 CJ6 

One thing is for sure.....I'm watching this closely, cuz my stock stereo in my '05 just took a dump on me, and I need a replacement!
Agar426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #27
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Any updates on this unit?
Unread 04-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #28
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

^Yeah, curious about it.

To those bickering about radio signals (or lack there of):

Get with the 21st century, and load all of your music onto your phone/mp3 player/iPod you doofaces
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #29
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
^Yeah, curious about it.

To those bickering about radio signals (or lack there of):

Get with the 21st century, and load all of your music onto your phone/mp3 player/iPod you doofaces
Using the cloud IS 21st century. Downloading it is 20th

Really though, I don't have time to download music, load it on devices, etc anymore.
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #30
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well you're the one making all of your own problems...
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.