JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/)
-   -   Looking for some feedback on a new TJ Navigation and Multimedia entertainment unit (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/looking-some-feedback-new-tj-navigation-multimedia-entertainment-unit-1486830/)

InsaneJeepAudio 03-02-2013 11:32 AM

Looking for some feedback on a new TJ Navigation and Multimedia entertainment unit

2 Attachment(s)
Hey, all. Firstly, to make sure I'm not violating any of the terms of this message board I want to be clear that I'm not selling anything.

That being said, however, I am involved in a company that is going to be releasing a new navigation and multimedia head unit made specifically for late model TJ's. We will not be selling directly to consumers.

Check it out here -- www.insanejeepaudio.com

The TJ1001 is designed for a 2004-2007 Jeep Liberty (KJ) or a 2003-2006 Wrangler (TJ) but it will likely fit a number of other Jeep, Dodge and Chrysler models.

I'm interested in feedback from those in this forum to help pass some input back to the development team. The product is expected to be available this summer!

I attached a couple of pics (sorry if they're a little blurry)

Any feedback you've got would be greatly appreciated. Let us know what you like or what you don't. The bottom line is that we are trying to create a product that is a perfect fit for a late model TJ dash with full navigation and multimedia functionality.

I've got a prototype unit in my Jeep (a modified '06 Rubicon Unlimited) and I have to admit, this thing is bad-***.

Here is a summary of some of the key features taken off the web site (if you are too lazy to click on the link)....

PREMIUM 3D NAVIGATION
Includes all software and the guaranteed latest maps of the good 'ol US of A. Turn by turn directions, POI's, 2D mode, 3D mode, digital speedometer and trip display, and much more. Unlike some navigation units on the market, the TJ1001 also lets you listen to music while using the GPS.

FULLY INTEGRATED 4.3 INCH HIGH RESOLUTION DIGITAL TOUCH SCREEN DISPLAY
Watch HD movies with crystal clarity.

MICRO-SD CARD SLOT
With a MicroSD port right in the front of the head unit, you can store 32 gigs of movies and music right in your Jeep. That's likely enough storage to hold every album you've ever owned. Unlike a hard drive, the SD card has no moving parts and no skipping when you're on the trail.

USB INPUT
The TJ1001 has a USB port right in the front of the unit so you can also play movies or music right off of your thumb drive.

DVD/VCD/CD/MP4/MP3/WMA/JPG/CD/CD-R/CD-RW Player
From movies, to music to photo albums. If it's burned on a disc, odds are that the TJ1001 can play it. The DVD player also supports multiple subtitles, angles, zoom and speed settings.

INTEGRATED BLUETOOTH PHONE SUPPORT
Drive safe and avoid tickets. The TJ1001 has full bluetooth phone support with a built-in microphone and exceptional audio quality.

BLUETOOTH AUDIO
Full bluetooth audio support. Control media on your smartphone, or wirelessly stream Pandora internet radio. The TJ1001 has you covered.

ONBOARD DIGITAL TELEVISION
That's right. The TJ1001 even has a built-in TV tuner. Right in the dash of your Jeep. Check the FAQ on the web site for more information about ATSC-M digital television here in the US.

EXCEPTIONAL AUDIO QUALITY
The TJ1001 has a 4x45 watt high power amplifier built-in with exceptional audio quality. Just plug it into your stock wiring harness and your existing factory speakers or factory premium sound system will sound like they've never sounded before. Pre-amp outputs are there if you want to use your own aftermarket setup. Either way, the TJ1001 is ready to rock.

STRONG ELECTRONICS SHOCK PROTECTION
The TJ1001 is designed specifically by Jeepers for Jeepers. It's built tough and ready for the trail.

FULL FUNCTION REMOTE CONTROL
Comes in handy when you want control from the back seats.

AM/FM TUNER
30 presets to store your favorite stations.

IPOD INTEGRATION
The TJ1001 even comes with an ipod cable and everything you need to plug in your ipod and control your music collection from the touch screen display.

PLENTY OF INPUTS AND OUTPUTS
RCA audio and video outputs, RCA audio and video inputs and even a rearview camera input are located at the rear of the unit.

PERFECT FIT FOR YOUR DASH
The TJ1001 is a perfect fit for your dash and will look like it came straight from the factory. Installation is simple and a wiring harness is included so you can simply plug and play.

InsaneJeepAudio 03-04-2013 10:12 AM

OK. To help get the discussion started, what features do you all think would be beneficial in a Jeep-specific nav unit?

Sure -- all the standard navigation bells & whistles (3d maps, point of interests, turn by turn, etc,)... but for starters, I was thinking there needs to be a tracking mode. So when you are far off the road and keep encountering forks in the trail... you can push a button and it will literally track on your screen where you've been.

That way, the next time you're thinking "I'm pretty sure if I can make it over that ridge line, I'll re-connect back to the trail that took us up here"... you'll know for sure.

Thoughts?

absentiabanish 03-04-2013 04:16 PM

One thing i like about the navigation on my Nokia phone is it beeps when i am speeding alerting you until you sliw down.

InsaneJeepAudio 03-04-2013 05:21 PM

Haha. Funny you mention that. I am running a prototype TJ1001 in my '06 rubicon and I turned off that feature because it was driving me nuts! I called it the nagging girlfriend mode because every time I was more then 5mph over the speed limit and rocking out to some tunes... a female voice interrupted the song and politely told me that I was over the speed limit. ;)

You can customize it to either do nothing (the way I've got it set) show a visual alert on the screen, audio or both. You can also set the threshold (i.e. warn you at x mph over the speed limit).

InsaneJeepAudio 03-04-2013 05:33 PM

On that topic, what I DID find interesting was that like most people on this forum my stock speedometer is inaccurate because I've got a lift and larger tires. I was surprised to find that it was almost 3 MPH off. I found that having a digital speedometer on the nav screen was a nice addition...

br0ken 03-04-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsaneJeepAudio (Post 15075403)
OK. To help get the discussion started, what features do you all think would be beneficial in a Jeep-specific nav unit?

Sure -- all the standard navigation bells & whistles (3d maps, point of interests, turn by turn, etc,)... but for starters, I was thinking there needs to be a tracking mode. So when you are far off the road and keep encountering forks in the trail... you can push a button and it will literally track on your screen where you've been.

That way, the next time you're thinking "I'm pretty sure if I can make it over that ridge line, I'll re-connect back to the trail that took us up here"... you'll know for sure.

Thoughts?

I use the backcountrynavigator app. It is extremely handy when wheeling new areas. Would be nice if the head unit integrated with my android phone or android pad. A splash proof unit would be a good feature in a jeep. Quality over quantity of features. Ditch the cd slot and make that 4x45w the rms power while avoiding heat issues:rofl:. CD's are stacked next to the cassette tapes these days. Reliable company product history and good customer service. Those are just a few things I look for in a premium head unit.

I'd be happy to sample one for you and give it a thorough review!

Xpress 03-04-2013 10:45 PM

Almost makes me want to build my YJ dash around one, just so I can run one. Any way to get the Jeep logo on the startup screen to have square headlights? :D

ops5 03-05-2013 01:01 PM

Will it work with the factory installed Sirius Satellite receiver?

Oldjeepman 03-05-2013 06:14 PM

Is this useable in a 99 wrangler or just 03-06???

angusbeef2 03-05-2013 06:44 PM

I want one. Dust and moisture would be my fear.

Xpress 03-05-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldjeepman (Post 15085102)
Is this useable in a 99 wrangler or just 03-06???

Could be used in 1999 if you do some modifying around a bit to the dash. But the receiver shape for 97-02 is different from 03-06.

Zeep 03-07-2013 04:42 AM

H-D radio would be nice. As stated above, sat radio intregration a plus for those willing to pay for radio.
I realize your still in testing, but what is the target price point on this unit?

boondaba 03-07-2013 05:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:eek:

commodore_dude 03-07-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ops5 (Post 15083247)
Will it work with the factory installed Sirius Satellite receiver?

This is one of the reasons I haven't gone aftermarket, I have a lifetime sub on the OEM tuner and I'm stubborn :). As someone whose family has been in the car stereo business for 20+ years (when you're looking for rep companies or distributors, PM me and I may be able to help), I know it's a pain in the *** to get that functionality, so I don't expect it's going to happen. Similar thing with Ipod integration, I know there are several different "levels" of integration you can license from Apple, and full integration ain't cheap.

You might consider not making this so Jeep-specific, since there are many other Chrysler vehicles that used the "rounded" stereos. Ram and Viper guys seem like potential customers, at least. I'd say you're going to have to be able to beat the RB1 price, and be competitive with aftermarket single-din units, in order to have a market.

ops5 03-07-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commodore_dude (Post 15095637)
This is one of the reasons I haven't gone aftermarket, I have a lifetime sub on the OEM tuner and I'm stubborn :). As someone whose family has been in the car stereo business for 20+ years (when you're looking for rep companies or distributors, PM me and I may be able to help), I know it's a pain in the *** to get that functionality, so I don't expect it's going to happen.

I know you're not the OP, but that sounds like a no. OP hasn't come back to comment. Too bad, I'd really be interested in this if I could plug the Sirius receiver into it. But you would think that Sirius would be more than happy for a manufacturer to make their unit Sirius Ready.

Otherwise I think the TV tuner is a little over the top, and could do without the chrome trim on the unit.

The time now is 10:24 AM.