looking for CB advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > looking for CB advice

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
tarheelathlete1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

looking for CB advice

So I'm going to put a CB in my Jeep nothing fancy not looking to spend to much really. Just wondering what CB i should choose and where should I order it from. Antenna wise I like the look of the whip antenna advice on that is wanted as well especially the mount situation(I'm running a 2003 Wrangler). If anyone has a used CB they would like to donate please PM me. I appreciate it.

Jake

Unread 06-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Medic22
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A Generic Uniden CB will run you about 40 bucks, and an antenna about another 20 or 30 more. Its cheapest to order it separately and build it up. If you want something thats easily plug and play, Quadratec.com offers a kit with everything needed for about $130.
Medic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
tarheelathlete1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

oh and i found a CB that interested in me well two actually which one would be better... Cobra 19 Ultra III Citizen Band Radio or Midland Compact Mobile 40-Channel CB Radio With RF Gain
and will these get the job done for talking to others while wheeling and i guess other small random applications
Unread 06-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Here's everything you'll need for only $109.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/jeep-offroad-cb-radio-106/jeep-off-road-cb-kit-uniden-pro-510xl-418.html
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

That Cobra's not bad, but check Walcottcb.com, great guys and pretty affordable. Factor in costs for Antenna, Mount, Coax, and either a tune or an SWR meter. Mine came out just north of $170 including a PA speaker and all of the above.
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Try to get something with the highest wattage output power. Check out cobra CBs. I think they have a 5W output, which is the highest you can find without having to install an amplifier.
Unread 06-19-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
cntp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The legal limit is 4 or 5 watts on a CB.
Unread 06-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageorgakis View Post
Try to get something with the highest wattage output power. Check out cobra CBs. I think they have a 5W output, which is the highest you can find without having to install an amplifier.
All fixed mount CBs run the highest legal output power which is 4 watts. No amplifier to boost a radio past 4 watts is legal for use in the US.

Tarheelathelete1, you don't need an RF gain control so if another radio you also like doesn't have one, don't sweat it. Without the control, the RF gain just stays all the way up for the best receive sensitivity. Having an RF gain control just allows you to turn the receiver's sensitivity down like if someone close by is transmitting with too much power which is pretty darned rare. My Uniden Pro520XL CB radio has an RF gain control but I've never needed to turn it down in the 11 years it has been installed.

Personally, I think the most "bang for the buck" radios are now made by Uniden and Midland. My favorites are the Uniden Pro520XL and Pro510XL, both of which are available for under $50. The 520 has a PA (public address) abiliity and the useless RF gain control, the 510 has neither but is otherwise a fine radio for not much $$$.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
tarheelathlete1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

so i found radio, cable, and antenna (if the guy can find it) for 30$ on craigslist not to shabby not to shabby at all. Its a midland radio slightly older but that doesnt bother me. im trying to figure out what model it is to check with yall to make sure its not a piece.
Unread 06-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
tarheelathlete1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

wait he found his old cb he had in his truck, cobra chrome plate, with a PA speaker, antenna, and cable, for 80$ good deal?
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

$80 sounds pretty darned high since you can buy a brand new Uniden for only $40-something, the antenna isn't much and brand-new everything wouldn't be enough over $80 to warrant buying his old used junk. I'd offer him no more than $50, not even $55.

Unread 06-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #12
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
$80 sounds pretty darned high since you can buy a brand new Uniden for only $40-something, the antenna isn't much and brand-new everything wouldn't be enough over $80 to warrant buying his old used junk. I'd offer him no more than $50, not even $55.
Would this be considered a good deal, or should I search for cheaper?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Uniden-PRO520XL-...3%3A1|294%3A50

Free shipping

Or how about this:

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/ele/1237220160.html

Seems like a good deal?
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd go for the eBay Pro520Xl, that's a very good price. The Craigslist ad has the cheaper 510XL and a mount that isn't all that Jeep-friendly.

Unread 06-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #14
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What antenna would you recommend? Is there really that big of a difference between a 3 foot and 4 foot? Any specific one you would vouch for?
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #15
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

I highly recommend www.rightchannelradios.com, they have excellent customer support and are extremely helpful with any pre-purchase questions you might have. I personally have the Uniden 538W (though it is a full size radio idk how well it would fit in a TJ), I have found the weather channels (I work outside) and PA pretty useful but most people don't need the extra stuff though a PA is good for a seemingly endless amount of laughs. I have a wilson flex 4' on a flat mount in my tail light housing and it tuned to I believe below 1.7 on all channels IIRC.
Timothy_90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.