Looking For the Best GPS Road/Offroad - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Looking For the Best GPS Road/Offroad

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 10-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #46
steeevo

I agree,
totally think gps phone apps are worthless.

steeevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #47
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

With a dedicated device, you could easily cache maps for the entire country, and still have the added benefit of storing music and also being a tablet for email and things when you do have wifi.

I'm just saying it's a semi plausible option for someone who doesn't want to drop $600 on a GPS set up :shrugs:
macklamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #48
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSD View Post
I guess I believe in using the right tool for the job. In my opinion, and I know there will be objectors to this, any GPS that requires a cell connection, is worthless. And I include that to mean "needs at any time".

A GPS, to be worth a damn, needs to be able to operate fully, without EVER needing a cell phone connection.
Then that's pretty much none of them. To transfer maps to any GPS that I own, you need an Internet connection. Which may or may not be a cell phone connection. I have the maps for most of California preloaded on my iPad the same way that I have them preloaded to my Magellan GPS unit, and in both cases it came in via the Internet (though the Magellan had to be hooked to my laptop to get the actual maps while the iPad sucked them down directly). I don't think you can even buy maps on disks anymore, that's so... 1990s.
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #49
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I too won't use a GPS offroad that requires a cellular connection either. My street GPS receivers require a cell connection which is fine but those are useless where I offroad since there is no cell coverage in the remote areas I wheel in. Which is why I use a Garmin GPS offroad, it doesn't require cell coverage.

I made the mistake of installing a GPS 'App' onto my Android a couple years ago & marked a location with it so I could find my way back to it. Well, to make a long story short, it didn't work because by the time I wanted to use it, I no longer had cellular coverage so that 'App' no longer worked. Let me tell you, that sucked because I didn't have my normal GPS with me. NEVER will I ever use a GPS offroad again that I haven't veified first that it doesn't also requre cellular coverage to work.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #50
Sherfjeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

There is an app called every trail that does a decent job, without a cel connection.
Sherfjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #51
caprob
2013 JK Wrangler 

off-line Topos

Quote:
Originally Posted by J33Ptj View Post
I have switched over to my Droid Inspire for all navigation use. For off-road, I am using an app called Backcountry Navigator (~$10) which allows me to import gpx files very easily and also download maps (both satellite and topo) to use when I don't have any sort of data connection. Cheap and very reliable solution if you have a smart phone and an Otter Box to prevent any sort of dust from getting in the phone.
We too use Back Country Pro. We do Overlanding in the US (off-roading from point A to B) and needed an off-line navigation system. I love BCP. As a professional super-yacht Captain I'm fully aware of marine nav systems but found it a small challenge to finally find a high quality off-line topo viewer that is easy to use, especially where we go without cellular service. I even bought the DeLorme in Reach PLB and tried it but like our Samsung Galaxy Tab3 with it's internal GPS standing alone. Marking USGS topos for download was a bit tedious but actually helped me learn the areas quicker. This system is very inexpensive as well. I will have a better idea after this late spring and all Summer in the Rockies starting with Overland Expo 2014 mid May near Flagstaff. Feel free to contact me at caprob@hotmail.com or here to discuss.
hazardous.jpg

=[ [][],[_____
=l-\|\| - -OlllllllO-
[SIZE="3"][I]() )-o () )--o--) )[/I][/SIZE]
caprob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #52
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post
Then that's pretty much none of them. To transfer maps to any GPS that I own, you need an Internet connection. Which may or may not be a cell phone connection. I have the maps for most of California preloaded on my iPad the same way that I have them preloaded to my Magellan GPS unit, and in both cases it came in via the Internet (though the Magellan had to be hooked to my laptop to get the actual maps while the iPad sucked them down directly). I don't think you can even buy maps on disks anymore, that's so... 1990s.
I have a Garmin Etrex Legend, you didn't need an internet connection to load maps into it. I also have a Lowarnce Out Back it is takes a mini SD card.

Here are some Lowarnce maps:

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Mapping/

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #53
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Whether Lowrance put the maps on the SD card directly, or you downloaded the maps off the Internet and put them onto the SD card, is irrelevant. The reality is that once the maps are on the SD card, you no longer need the Internet to navigate.

Same thing with Backcountry Navigator. Once you put the maps on the SD card via the Internet you no longer need the Internet or a cell phone signal. And my iPad + Backcountry Navigator cost a *lot* less than one of those $1K+ big-screen Lowrance jobbers...

Oh -- I would call the Garmin maps that are distributed on disk "maps". Because they suck. To get good (raster) maps instead of the sucky Garmin maps that leave off most of the details you must pay for an Internet service and, uhm, *download the maps* to get them onto your eTrex.
Unread 03-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #54
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post
Whether Lowrance put the maps on the SD card directly, or you downloaded the maps off the Internet and put them onto the SD card, is irrelevant. The reality is that once the maps are on the SD card, you no longer need the Internet to navigate.

Same thing with Backcountry Navigator. Once you put the maps on the SD card via the Internet you no longer need the Internet or a cell phone signal. And my iPad + Backcountry Navigator cost a *lot* less than one of those $1K+ big-screen Lowrance jobbers...

Oh -- I would call the Garmin maps that are distributed on disk "maps". Because they suck. To get good (raster) maps instead of the sucky Garmin maps that leave off most of the details you must pay for an Internet service and, uhm, *download the maps* to get them onto your eTrex.
With the ipad of smart phone can you change your north, your datum, declination? If you use mulitiple maps this could be an issue, otherwise probably not.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #55
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
With the ipad of smart phone can you change your north, your datum, declination? If you use mulitiple maps this could be an issue, otherwise probably not.
Depends what offroad mapping package you're using. Backcountry Navigator has a setting to switch between magnetic bearings and true north bearings. You can also switch between WGS84 and NAD27 datum types, and eight different coordinate formats from DDD MM SS.SS to OSRef. Is that what you're asking about?
Unread 07-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #56
OzarkJeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I tried BCPro on my Samsung Infuse downloaded the proper maps and it work's. But is unreliable because in thick trees the phone will not hold the GPS signal from inside the vehicle. Guess I am gonna splurg and get me a Garmin Montana 650T and be done with it.
OzarkJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #57
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkJeeper View Post
I tried BCPro on my Samsung Infuse downloaded the proper maps and it work's. But is unreliable because in thick trees the phone will not hold the GPS signal from inside the vehicle. Guess I am gonna splurg and get me a Garmin Montana 650T and be done with it.
The Garmin Montana is a good GPS. I know. I have one (bought it last month). But a) it isn't magic, it won't hold a GPS signal under that circumstance either, that's because GPS signals won't go through trees nor metal roofs, and b) the screen is rather too small for vehicle use, even though it's larger than most other handheld GPS's.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.