Location of CB antenna on jeep liberty KJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Location of CB antenna on jeep liberty KJ

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Location of CB antenna on jeep liberty KJ

Im looking into installing a CB system in my kj. I really dont want to have to drill any holes into my body because well.... I dont want to screw it up and be hating myself for it later on.

First I was debating mounting a bracket onto my spare tire carrier but then I was thinking mounting the antenna to the roof rails would give the antenna more height and less interference with the body of my jeep. Problems with that idea? My roof rails are plastic and therefore would not ground out the mounting bracket. Solution? Jeep Liberty roof rails I was thinking about buying these steel roof rails anyway as the stock ones suck.

In the second case, I would grind off some of the paint on the roof rails and attach the antenna mount there. Then I would grind off some paint where the roof rails attach to the roof on both the roof side and the rail side, creating an electrical connection.

I have NEVER even talked to anyone that has installed a CB radio before and I'm not sure if this would even work. Any general tips, errors ive made in thinking about this, helpful anything would be really appreciated.

Cost of
roof rails: $169
Cobra 29 LTD: $99
6' Firestik antenna, spring, mount: $40
Coax cable: $20

TOTAL: $328

(Hmmm.... a little expensive. Gotta wait until I start working again /: )

Thank You!

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
jeepkj617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Your idea probably would work, you won't know for sure until you test it.

You can also run a short but heavy duty wire from the antenna mount bracket to the interior of the Jeep and make a connection to the body behind a trim panel. This is not an ideal set-up, but it would work.

Firestik.com has many different type of antenna mounting brackets.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Ok, that was my other thought. If I ran at least an 8-10 gauge wire from the bracket and grounded it to the frame. -- I like the firestik antenna but I really want a bracket that mounts to the semi round rail and can fold down. So I think I might make my own

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
Unread 09-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
RockwallMudder
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem with my YJ.

I couldn't mount mine ANYWHERE! Since I have the YJ Renegade, I didn't have any of the mounting options that other people had.

Instead of paying $28, not including shipping, for the tereflex mount, I had an 18 wheeler mirror mount, that I used.

I drilled 4 holes into the passenger tailight housing, took off the cover, and bolted it right up. To ground it, I went to Ace Hardware and got 2 ft. of 12 ga wire, and two half inch eyelets (sp?) perfect ground. I ran it into the cab, and grounded it where the hardtop meets the tub, took out a hardtop bolt, put the bolt through the eyelet, screwed it back down.
Unread 09-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkj617 View Post
.... an 8-10 gauge wire from the bracket and grounded it to the frame.
Your KJ is a unibody, so everything is "frame". You want to keep any wires going from antenna mount to body as short as possible.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

alright. Im sure in that case there has to be some kind of bolt already near the roof haha. Ill post some updates as things go.

Tags
antenna , bracket , cb , kj , mounting

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.