JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/)
-   -   Location of CB antenna on jeep liberty KJ (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/location-cb-antenna-jeep-liberty-kj-1098735/)

jeepkj617 09-06-2010 05:46 PM

Location of CB antenna on jeep liberty KJ

Im looking into installing a CB system in my kj. I really dont want to have to drill any holes into my body because well.... I dont want to screw it up and be hating myself for it later on.

First I was debating mounting a bracket onto my spare tire carrier but then I was thinking mounting the antenna to the roof rails would give the antenna more height and less interference with the body of my jeep. Problems with that idea? My roof rails are plastic and therefore would not ground out the mounting bracket. Solution? Jeep Liberty roof rails I was thinking about buying these steel roof rails anyway as the stock ones suck.

In the second case, I would grind off some of the paint on the roof rails and attach the antenna mount there. Then I would grind off some paint where the roof rails attach to the roof on both the roof side and the rail side, creating an electrical connection.

I have NEVER even talked to anyone that has installed a CB radio before and I'm not sure if this would even work. Any general tips, errors ive made in thinking about this, helpful anything would be really appreciated.

Cost of
roof rails: $169
Cobra 29 LTD: $99
6' Firestik antenna, spring, mount: $40
Coax cable: $20

TOTAL: $328

(Hmmm.... a little expensive. Gotta wait until I start working again /: )

Thank You!

CJ7-Tim 09-06-2010 09:19 PM

Your idea probably would work, you won't know for sure until you test it.

You can also run a short but heavy duty wire from the antenna mount bracket to the interior of the Jeep and make a connection to the body behind a trim panel. This is not an ideal set-up, but it would work.

Firestik.com has many different type of antenna mounting brackets.

jeepkj617 09-07-2010 08:04 AM

Ok, that was my other thought. If I ran at least an 8-10 gauge wire from the bracket and grounded it to the frame. -- I like the firestik antenna but I really want a bracket that mounts to the semi round rail and can fold down. So I think I might make my own

RockwallMudder 09-07-2010 12:43 PM

I had the same problem with my YJ.

I couldn't mount mine ANYWHERE! Since I have the YJ Renegade, I didn't have any of the mounting options that other people had.

Instead of paying $28, not including shipping, for the tereflex mount, I had an 18 wheeler mirror mount, that I used.

I drilled 4 holes into the passenger tailight housing, took off the cover, and bolted it right up. To ground it, I went to Ace Hardware and got 2 ft. of 12 ga wire, and two half inch eyelets (sp?) perfect ground. I ran it into the cab, and grounded it where the hardtop meets the tub, took out a hardtop bolt, put the bolt through the eyelet, screwed it back down.

CJ7-Tim 09-07-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepkj617 (Post 10082747)
.... an 8-10 gauge wire from the bracket and grounded it to the frame.

Your KJ is a unibody, so everything is "frame". You want to keep any wires going from antenna mount to body as short as possible.

jeepkj617 09-07-2010 09:16 PM

alright. Im sure in that case there has to be some kind of bolt already near the roof haha. Ill post some updates as things go.

The time now is 09:01 AM.