LED, how hot? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > LED, how hot?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
CJATE

LED, how hot?

I'm thinking of putting mine where heat might be an issue. I don't know anyone who owns one.

Looking at 24" bar, was leaning to higher watts.

I like LED because they do t get that hot, but all of them have ribs on the back, leads me to believe they may get hot.

Can you touch them after they have been on for a bit?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
CJATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Yeah, they stay cool when operating.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

the bar may get warm to the tough but not enough to burn anything as long as the bar is properly designed. also it may get warmer if it is somewhere with no air flow but should still not get hot hot. most high power leds have a max operating temperature of 120degrees before they start to fry. so with the heatsink to disipate the heat you will be fine at the end of the fins.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

They should not be getting warm at all, the VisonX 2x2 on the Jeep don't get hot after sitting on and the Rigid Duallys and 10" SR bars on the truck don't either.

Although I could see it happening with the 30"+ bars.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

they get that tempiture at the junction of the led and the heatsink. the outside of the heatsink is much cooler.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.