LED Flasher Relay (GCD-TJ0106) ticking? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > LED Flasher Relay (GCD-TJ0106) ticking?

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
drandersoninc

2003 TJ Wrangler 

LED Flasher Relay (GCD-TJ0106) ticking?

About 5 months ago I picked up some Metalcloak arched front fenders. I also picked up their LED lights for the turn / Flashers and the GCD-TJ0106 flasher replacement. I wired the LED turn and flashers per instructions and all work as expected. However, I am hearing 'ticking' noises from the flasher unit, roughly every second. The ticking starts intermittently and without any identifiable pattern, not tied to using the flashers or headlamps, etc. I contacted GCD and they sent a replacement - it is having the same ticking issue so it does not seem to be the flasher unit per se.

Here are the instructions on the Metalcloak site that I followed: Here

Contacting Metalcloak they said they never heard of this and were pretty hands off on trying to help further.

If it matters, I'm still running standard headlamps (not LED) and my tails are still standard (not LEDs).

Anyone ever had this happen? Any idea how to troubleshoot it???

drandersoninc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Has your jeep ever been rained in hard with the top down?
Unread 09-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
drandersoninc

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Has your jeep ever been rained in hard with the top down?
Not in the past 8 years. Did this mod within last 5 months. Why, what are you thinking?
Unread 09-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drandersoninc View Post
Not in the past 8 years. Did this mod within last 5 months. Why, what are you thinking?
I think its an issue with the MFS or the clock spring. Mine does it some of the time, usually when its very humid. Mines definitely been rained on and it wouldn't surprise me if there's some corrosion or something in around the clock spring that creates a short in the right conditions. I've switched relays and that didn't fix it. Since mine isn't all the time and since it is just ticking not actual lights blinking I just live with it and turn the radio up when it starts happening.
Unread 09-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
drandersoninc

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting thing I just found. As soon as I press on the brake pedal the ticking stops. As soon as I let off the brake it resumes. Why do you think that is?
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Interesting thing I just found. As soon as I press on the brake pedal the ticking stops. As soon as I let off the brake it resumes. Why do you think that is?
Yep, mine does that too when it is ticking.
Unread 09-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mine does the same after using it at times. I will have the signal/hazard on and once I turn it off, it still clicks for a few seconds, but the lights don't flash, it just ticks. Using it with my Savvy LED tails.
They replaced it and it still does it. Not sure why either, weather doesn't seem to make a difference I can tell...
Unread 09-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
drandersoninc

2003 TJ Wrangler 

For those also getting the ticking, are you running stock tails or LED tails?
Unread 09-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
For those also getting the ticking, are you running stock tails or LED tails?
I have LEDs, but I am not convinced it is unique to that. Threads about this show up from time to time. I still believe corrosion in the steering column somewhere from things getting very wet.
Unread 09-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
drandersoninc

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I have LEDs, but I am not convinced it is unique to that. Threads about this show up from time to time. I still believe corrosion in the steering column somewhere from things getting very wet.
Well that blows my theory (LED fronts, std tails)....

If it is corrosion, I would heave expected to have that ticking much earlier on in my case? For me I had the standard flasher relay 8 years ago when I got caught in the downpour. I ran that same flasher for over 7 years without any ticking sound. Then when I did the LED upgrades on the front in the past 6 months and replaced that flasher relay I started getting the ticking...

I thought I read somewhere that the original relay was thermal and the LED one is clock based or something?
Unread 09-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Multifunction switch. Everything goes through it and if there's a short it can cause all kinds of issue. The first time I replaced mine it started out with when the right blinker was on and I pressed the brakes the blinker stayed solid. Then it went to anytime I pressed the brake (with the blinkers off) the flasher would click and increase in frequency until it physically couldn't slash any faster. Replacing the MFS solved all issues.

I still have issue with the switch every one in a while. The problem is the copper traces float inside the switch quite a bit. The insides are under spring pressure and when things wear the contacts can move around and short.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've been tempted to take apart the multifunction switch as I thought it might be part of the cause too. I wanted to clean it out and regrease etc. That and the ignition switch. Dunno if it's worth it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.