LED 3rd Brake Light Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > LED 3rd Brake Light Problem

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 06-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Jebussaves0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

LED 3rd Brake Light Problem

So I recently bought some lug nut LED lights to replace the stock 3rd brake light on my TJ. Here is the link to the exact ones I bought:

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...0&partID=42556

After I initially wired them up they worked fine. It wasn't until I drove it for the first time that they stopped working and caused my stop light fuse to blow. I've replaced the fuse 3 times now and they keep blowing. I'm thinking it has something to do the lower resistance of the LEDs but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara | 4.0L 5spd D44/D30 3.73s | Hurst Shifter | Hardwired Power Inverter | Hummer-Style CAI | 1" Rusty's BL/MML | AA TC Shifter Bracket | 2" BB | JKS Quicker Discos | 33x10.50R15 BFG KM2s | Alpine CDA-9886 HU | OTRATTW Switch Panel | G.P.F. Rear Bumper | Metalcloak Overline Fenders

M416 Trailer | In Progress
Jebussaves0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
SirGCal

actually, my money is on the possibility that you've shorted something out during the install. Go over the wiring again. Something is shorting to ground.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Jebussaves0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The "wiring" in question was simply cutting the + and - wires from the old light and splicing them to the 2 wires connected to the LEDs. I'll go over it again but given the possibility that the wiring is fine, any other possible causes?
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara | 4.0L 5spd D44/D30 3.73s | Hurst Shifter | Hardwired Power Inverter | Hummer-Style CAI | 1" Rusty's BL/MML | AA TC Shifter Bracket | 2" BB | JKS Quicker Discos | 33x10.50R15 BFG KM2s | Alpine CDA-9886 HU | OTRATTW Switch Panel | G.P.F. Rear Bumper | Metalcloak Overline Fenders

Unread 06-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebussaves0 View Post
The "wiring" in question was simply cutting the + and - wires from the old light and splicing them to the 2 wires connected to the LEDs. I'll go over it again but given the possibility that the wiring is fine, any other possible causes?
Sorry to sound rude or inconsiderate or anything, but the truth simply is; you changed something, then the problem appeared. Fuses blow when the circuits are shorted out. So 99% of the time, it's either the new device or the wiring has a fault. Really that just about the only possibilities here...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
Jebussaves0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
Sorry to sound rude or inconsiderate or anything, but the truth simply is; you changed something, then the problem appeared. Fuses blow when the circuits are shorted out. So 99% of the time, it's either the new device or the wiring has a fault. Really that just about the only possibilities here...
That was neither rude or inconsiderate. I was just looking for something else to watch for while I checked the wiring. In any case, you were right. The wiring had shorted out where it was pinched by the spare tire. Thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.