Kenwood head unit protect mode - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Kenwood head unit protect mode

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
RisingJeeper
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Kenwood head unit protect mode

I've got a 98 XJ. My brother outfitted it with a kenwood head unit, mtx terminator amp and sub, and some speakers. I put the head unit in wrong once and we think it might've bent it. It works on and off, going into protect mode after a few days of me resetting it. I recently discovered that the RCA cord going from the head unit to the amp had broken in the amp. I replaced it, hoping that was the cause of the protect problem. Played great last night and this morning but now went back into protect. What can I do? Do I need to get a new head unit?

RisingJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like an internal issue with the receiver. Did you look up the error message in the manual?
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
RisingJeeper
1998 XJ Cherokee 

no error message, just flashes PROTECT
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingJeeper View Post
no error message, just flashes PROTECT
that is the error message. If you don't have the owner's manual, you can look it up on the kenwood site probably.
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

JMO, but I'd get something newer. I just installed new pioneer touchscreen to replace my old JVC single din dvd player. Just for the convenience of bluetooth~
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

make sure the speaker wires are not grounding out and make sure you have no less then 4 ohms on each channel
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
RisingJeeper
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You have any preference on company? I've had good results from my kenwood til recently and haven't fully explored other options. Oh I've got the KDC-248U. It's a bit outdated, kenwood released at least one new, similar model. I'm hoping mostly for good price. Not worried about the best music quality
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
RisingJeeper
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcat400
make sure the speaker wires are not grounding out and make sure you have no less then 4 ohms on each channel
Never dabbled in wiring before. More info on that? Otherwise I can just google it
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

how many speakers?
does the fade/balance work properly?
is the amp wired via rca outs or a line converter?
what speakers?
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
RisingJeeper
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Amp is wired with RCA. I think there are stock speakers plus better door speakers and a big ole sub in the back. Trying to get sound system specs from my brother, he did the work. Balance and fade work fine, all modifying settings using head unit (haven't tried changing amp levels) work fine, just reset when I reset the head unit. Which is expected
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
RisingJeeper
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Amp is 200w mtx terminator, sub is I believe 12" mtx that came as package with amp.
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingJeeper View Post
You have any preference on company? I've had good results from my kenwood til recently and haven't fully explored other options. Oh I've got the KDC-248U. It's a bit outdated, kenwood released at least one new, similar model. I'm hoping mostly for good price. Not worried about the best music quality
I'm always more worried about sound quality and I go with the motto "you get what you pay for". I just took out a JVC kd-nx5000 and replaced it a pioneer avh-x7500bt. I was surprised with the difference. The updated technology was that much better to me. It's iphone 5 compatible which is what sold me. Although I'm sure something else will be out better in the next few months But I'll update in another year or so and sell this one

As for company preferences, not really. I stick with the name brand and go by features, ease of use, etc. Right now the pioneer was the best in a niche of single din flip out screens.

Get yourself a multi-meter to check your wires. It'll come in handy in the future for many. many other things.
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #13
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

From the kenwood website: Check to be sure the terminals of the speaker leads are covered with insulating tape properly, then reset the unit. If "PROTECT" does not disappear, consult your nearest service center.
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #14
goodwrenchdave
1999 TJ Wrangler 

from a generic (non brand specific) perspective: a protection fault is usually caused by an amplified "amplified out to speaker") and not a preamp resistance being out of spec. It can be a short, a wrong speaker resistance (using 2ohm on 4ohm impendence or 8 ohm speakers), or even overpowering your speakers. As mentioned before: check the speaker out wires, the radio spec and the speaker spec.
goodwrenchdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to guess that the fronts are wired 2 or 8ohms with the stock speaker in the mix. I have had both cause protect. Try un hooking the stock speakers and try again.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.