Kapa Infinity bad sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Kapa Infinity bad sound

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
TJRanger
2007 JK Wrangler 

Kapa Infinity bad sound

Replaced the sound bar speakers with some Kapa's last summer and installed a Pioneer head unit.
now the drivers side speaker has great highs but the bass and the vocals are distorted. I haven't looked at the connectors yet but was wondering if there is a way to test the speaker or if a stereo shop can actually diagnosis the speaker to see if I have a bad speaker or if my wiring is messed up. Want to take care of the simple trouble shooting before i start to rewire everything.

RIP 97 2.5L TJ/2BB/Pacesetter Headers/Cold Air Intake/32in ProComp Mud Terrains/6in smitty flares/DynoMax exhaust.
TJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
SirGCal

That sounds odd. Are you sure it's not out of polarity? Other than that, the speaker itself might be jammed up in the magnet somehow (would explain why the tweeter portion still sounds good). Just thinking out loud.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
TJRanger
2007 JK Wrangler 

How do I know if it it out of polarity?

RIP 97 2.5L TJ/2BB/Pacesetter Headers/Cold Air Intake/32in ProComp Mud Terrains/6in smitty flares/DynoMax exhaust.
Unread 01-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
SirGCal

if the - and + are not all properly done, and one or more speakers are reversed, then they are out of polarity and will destroy then entire system's sound. It will sound hollow, without bass. Much like a very old radio.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 01-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
GEM1N1
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had this same problem with my infinity's. I ended up installing an amp and ran all new speaker wire and man this thing sounds 1000x better. Still leaves a lot to be desired for the low end though.
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post
I had this same problem with my infinity's. I ended up installing an amp and ran all new speaker wire and man this thing sounds 1000x better. Still leaves a lot to be desired for the low end though.
Ya, I still however think your original problem was a polarity issue which you unknowingly fixed running the new speaker wire (good idea by the way). Your symptoms were classic for polarity issues. Basically, the amp wasn't the fix, it was coincidence because you fixed it running new speaker wire. However the amp will get you more volume potential and I'm sure is a welcome addition. Just don't confuse what the real remedy was.

Quote:
Unread 01-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

if polarity doesn't correct you try shutting off your loud/bass boost button.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
TJRanger
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well it wasn't the polarity. Looked at it this evening and when I took the cover off, the tweeter came falling out. I haven't messed with the tweeter since the install last summer and the speaker are nice and snug in the sound bar. It looks like the glue that holds the tweeter in the center of the speaker gave way and the two wires to the tweeter snapped after being bumped around from the dailey drive. Any one know what infinitys warranty plan is? I still love the speakers and will buy them again but hopefully I get some customer service support and can get this resolved. I will upload pics later.

Unread 01-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
TJRanger
2007 JK Wrangler 

Update. E-mailed the infinity folks and they replied back fast. Said I was covered under a 3 year warranty and needed proof of purchase and they would send me a replacement. Now that is customer service and I am now a customer for life.

Unread 01-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was going to say Harman has an amazing return policy; it was one of the reasons I didn't hesitate to buy a refurbed amp direct from them. In fact the plastic foot on the amp I bought broke off and they sent me a new amp before I even took the broken one out of the Jeep.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.