just4effect.com box review with pics. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > just4effect.com box review with pics.

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
jwaller89

2004 TJ Wrangler 

just4effect.com box review with pics.

I searched, and I couldn't find a review on these boxes, so I decided to do one.

I got the Dual 10" box for the TJ. First off, I wanted to show how it's packaged. Very thick cardboard wrapped in tons of packing tape. With "FRAGILE" written on all sides of the box.

Underneath the cardboard, it's wrapped up in 3-4 layers of saran wrap type stuff.

I got the gray carpet with fiberglass underneath it in case I get caught with my hardtop off some day.

He included wire in the inside of the box for the sub, and it's not cheap or lightweight. looks like 14-12 GA wire.

The terminals don't look cheap either. I forgot to take a picture of them but I will add one in the next few days.

I haven't put the box in my jeep yet, I have to take out my current box and order the subs that will go in this one.

The box is not very light, I'd say about 40 lbs. 1 in thick bottom on it and it's very sturdy. All the edges are sanded on the inside, and wood glue or putty is placed on the seams and screws to cover them up. The carpet is glued down and is very tight on the box.

I ordered the box on July 18th, and I got it in the mail today. He told me 4-5 weeks in the first email. He emailed me a few weeks later and told me that some of the carpet in his supply closet got ruined and it would be a few more days before he was finished with it. I wasn't in a hurry for the box, so it wasn't a big problem for me. (As I stated earlier, I haven't even ordered the subs for it yet.) But he did email me and let me know about it being late.

From what I've been told, CJ does this out of his garage by himself. So it does take some time, this is a well-built box and worth every penny I paid for it. If it would have taken 6 months to get this box, I still would have been completely satisfied with it.

I don't think I can say enough good things about this box or the service he provided. It did take a few days for him to reply to my emails a couple times, but like I said, I'm sure he is a busy person.

I will follow up on this thread when I get it installed in my jeep. But for now, this might answer a few questions you may have.

http://just4effect.com/

Originally Posted by 5-90
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet
FYI: For concerned parents out there. The wrangler has fairly good frontal, offset, and rollover crashworthiness ratings. IE: You walk away from a crash, and write posts on how you plan to re-build your rig.

just4effect.com sub box review
jwaller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice review, nice pics and writeup! Those speaker cables defintely look big enough to handle a few watts.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
jwaller89

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the kind words Jerry.

Now, I finally got around to putting the box and subs in my Jeep. I hit a horse a few weeks ago and it's been in the shop getting fixed. Anyway. Start off with pics.

The terminals are high quality, and CJ soldered them on the inside. Very nice, and 12 GA wire is included

When you order the box, he asks for the specific sub you will be putting in them, that way he can cut out the hole to the size it needs to be for that particular sub. Mine fit perfect. I told him I was going to put in the W6's but I haven't ordered them yet, so I looked at the specs and the size is the same as the W1's that I already have. So I'm using them for now.

I'm using this Amp, a DB Drive A5 Series OKUR 800 Watt monoblock.

Mounted under the back seat.

And a few pictures of the box in the Jeep:

It is a little taller that I thought it would be, but as good as it sounds, I don't care.
Tip when installing: Put the wire from the amp to the terminals in before you put it in the jeep. It's very tight and hard to do with the box already in the jeep.

I had this same exact amp, subs, HU, and wiring in my last truck. This box hits twice as hard as the probox I had under the backseat of my 98 Dodge truck. I'm afraid I might blow out the back window if I crank it up too much. It resonates throughout the entire Jeep. I hope it sounds at least half as good when my hardtop is off, if so, I'll be more than happy about this box.

And I have no idea what it is about Jeeps, but when it's turned up pretty loud, you can barely hear it from the outside the the doors shut. But that's for another thread.

The only problem is that you will get some rattle from the vents in the tailgate, but you can only hear it from the outside when it's turned up.
I'll update this again whenever I get a chance to take the top off and let you know how it sounds then.

Enjoy
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
Quote:
FYI: For concerned parents out there. The wrangler has fairly good frontal, offset, and rollover crashworthiness ratings. IE: You walk away from a crash, and write posts on how you plan to re-build your rig.

Last edited by jwaller89; 09-29-2011 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Unread 10-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
jwaller89

2004 TJ Wrangler 

After riding around with the top off for almost a week, I have to say that there isn't much difference between the sound of the subs with the hard top and no top. The sound isn't as loud, but you can easily tell that there's a box back there. I made a thread a few months ago about chopping up a probox for a single 10". I had it downfiring and you couldn't hear it with everything turned all the way up. I might have to turn my amp up 2 notches for the subs to be just as loud with the top on.

Just wanted to post an update, and bump this to the top for more views.
Quote:

Unread 10-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great write up Jwaller, I am also in the market for a dual 10" Sub enclosure. I purchased a single 10" enclosure from the same place as you and I love it. The quality is unmatched by anyone. I just wish I had went with the dual enclosure, I am such a Basshead. Silly me. I am looking for a buyer to take the single enclosure off my hands to ease the sting of buying another one It would definitely have to be a local deal so pick up would be cheaper than mailing it. Until then, I am making do with the single 10" Memphis "M" class woofer which BTW has phenomenal SQ.
Thanks for the write up and I hope you enjoy them 10"s. I can't wait to get mine.
Unread 01-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
jeeperJake217
2000 TJ Wrangler 

how much was the box total? shipped and all
jeeperJake217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
jwaller89

2004 TJ Wrangler 

$270 The prices on the website include shipping.
Quote:

Unread 01-08-2014, 12:02 AM   #8
crazyndn

The ONLY thing I don't like about that setup is that it's made from wood. Although sealed at the joints, no top+rain=swollen wood. I'm eventually going to go with the MTX TJ box which is all ABS plastic(I know, I know, wood is better for sound), but back to the rain thing. I have just about everything else for my system minus the box and amp wiring. I'll post up when I get it all in and set up and I'll put you down as some info on it jwall. I don't know if I'll have that same issue with the clearance for wires, but reading over yours lets me know to check it. Like everyone, great write up and let me know how it's held up through the elements if you ever have your top off.

Justus
crazyndn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 11:57 PM   #9
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyndn View Post
The ONLY thing I don't like about that setup is that it's made from wood. Although sealed at the joints, no top+rain=swollen wood. I'm eventually going to go with the MTX TJ box which is all ABS plastic(I know, I know, wood is better for sound), but back to the rain thing. I have just about everything else for my system minus the box and amp wiring. I'll post up when I get it all in and set up and I'll put you down as some info on it jwall. I don't know if I'll have that same issue with the clearance for wires, but reading over yours lets me know to check it. Like everyone, great write up and let me know how it's held up through the elements if you ever have your top off.

Justus
They do offer the option of bedliner, instead of carpet, last time I checked. It's been a while since I looked at their site, but I doubt anything has changed.

Edit: Just checked and Herculiner is still listed.

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
jwaller89

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyndn
The ONLY thing I don't like about that setup is that it's made from wood. Although sealed at the joints, no top+rain=swollen wood. I'm eventually going to go with the MTX TJ box which is all ABS plastic(I know, I know, wood is better for sound), but back to the rain thing. I have just about everything else for my system minus the box and amp wiring. I'll post up when I get it all in and set up and I'll put you down as some info on it jwall. I don't know if I'll have that same issue with the clearance for wires, but reading over yours lets me know to check it. Like everyone, great write up and let me know how it's held up through the elements if you ever have your top off. Justus
I've been caught with the top off a few times. Only thing that's been damaged is an amp. I got my box fiberglassed under the carpet just for that reason. The box holds up fine. No water damage to it at all.

I just recently put 2 JL W6 10" subs in there. And the only thing I'm worried about with them, is tearing the box apart. But so far it's holding up well. Worth every penny.
Quote:

Unread 01-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #11
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyndn View Post

Justus
I have a just4effect.com mdf box that is all resin coated, then carpet on the lower "protected" portion and rhinoliner on top. I bought mine when the company was owned by Ron, I don't know how the current owner is doing the boxes. I've has mine since early 2007 and it's still functioning the same as it did when new, no bulging or damaged seams. I run a tonneau cover in the warm weather months although it has seen the occasional rain storm when just the rear window was out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.