Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Just bought an '06 Rubicon. I want to install a factory navigation head unit

9K views 72 replies 17 participants last post by  rubibluejay 
#1 ·
As the title says. I just purchased a 2006 Rubicon and I want to install a factory navigation unit, but I have some questions:

1) From what I've read the RB1 should be the correct OEM unit. Am I wrong?

2) What will I need to install the unit? (other than a satellite antenna). Will I need a special harness or harness/plug adapter?

3) Has anyone else done this. Is this a fairly easy and straight forward install?

Thanks,

-Stephen

#5 ·
Installing it is a cake walk. You'll need the Sat. antenna, this is different from the sirius antenna.

You'll also want to buy the TJ "installation kit", basically it's just a bracket and some screws with instructions of where to mount everything. There is some cutting involved, and there is some drilling involved.

Look here:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/nav.htm#PARTS

And here, this page has the part # for the bracket:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/nav.htm#APPL

#6 ·
Awesome! Just what I want to hear.

Now, I will need a sat antenna for the GPS, do I need a separate sat antenna for the Sirius radio? Also, where did Jeep install the antennas from the factory? I'm guessing the roll bars, but I'm not sure. The only issue I could see there is I will run a hardtop on this vehicle 100% of the time. Can the sat antenna still receive a strong signal through the fiberglass?

Thanks for the links to the bracket. I found another thread that said the bracket was a great idea with the RB1 because the disc reader has a habit of bouncing offroad and damaging discs.

#7 ·
Awesome! Just what I want to hear.

Now, I will need a sat antenna for the GPS, do I need a separate sat antenna for the Sirius radio? Also, where did Jeep install the antennas from the factory? I'm guessing the roll bars, but I'm not sure. The only issue I could see there is I will run a hardtop on this vehicle 100% of the time. Can the sat antenna still receive a strong signal through the fiberglass?

Thanks for the links to the bracket. I found another thread that said the bracket was a great idea with the RB1 because the disc reader has a habit of bouncing offroad and damaging discs.
In the instructions they tell you to mount the GPS antenna directly above the radio, basically right below that little storage area on the top of your dash above the head unit.

If you want I can scan the directions for you, they came with the kit I bought.

The Sirius antenna goes on the passenger side roll bar, up by the top where the spreader bars bolt to the main cage by the speaker box.

If you're going to run both (or a mopar Ipod kit or OEM 10 disk changer) you need to get a splitter box type deal, check around on that website I linked above they have directions on it.

I run a hardtop on mine all winter, there isn't a problem.

#11 ·
Sure thing, I'll see if I can dig them up for you later.

As far as I know you have to buy the Sirius tuner as well for the RB1. Chrysler part # is 82208908AA
The RB1 is a breeze to install. Took me a grand total of 5 miuntes in my WJ with the antenna install at the same time.
This is true, If you're planning on doing both, doing them at the same time is a wise choice.

#9 ·
As far as I know you have to buy the Sirius tuner as well for the RB1. Chrysler part # is 82208908AA
The RB1 is a breeze to install. Took me a grand total of 5 miuntes in my WJ with the antenna install at the same time.

#14 ·
I remember reading another thread that the RB4 was a later version that was a flop. The factory and period correct navigation system for TJs is the RB1.

I'm no expert though and this is just what I found online.

#17 ·
Are you saying you have the 7 speaker factory option?

It's the same either way.

#19 ·
P/N 56038629AB P/N 56038629AC P/N 56038629AD P/N 56038629AE

(Note: The above radios are not compatible in vehicles having the factory Premium sound system, they do not have the circuitry to trigger the external amplifier)

P/N 56038629AG P/N 56038629AH* P/N 56038629AI*

(*Compatible with Chrysler's iPod

#20 ·
I see what you're saying now, get one of the ones in red.

I'm along the lines of thinking that all you need to activate your external amp is a little jumper wire that turns on when the radio turns on.

#22 ·
Has anyone installed the support bracket that is recommended by Chrysler when installing a RB1 in a Wrangler? To what extent is the drilling and cutting to be done? It just seems like it will be in some awkward angles if one is working in the dash to install the bracket.

#23 ·
I've "installed" it. And by that I mean I got as far as cutting out some of the dash to get at where you're supposed to drill the two holes for screws, and then I didn't have a drill at the time. So I just kind of left it sitting wedged in there and only secured at the back of the head unit. Been like that for 5 years or so without any problems. Haven't felt like taking the dash apart again to try and finish it. In general, while the RB1 has been good for me over a period of time, I can't recommend spending a ton of money on one in 2013 considering how outdated it is compared to modern aftermarket units or a good smartphone.

#24 ·
Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like it is a PITA to install. You actually have to cut the dash to drill the holes?

Also, do you have the latest updates for the GPS - or I guess the latest DVD with latest maps. Does Alpine still produce these discs on a regular basis?

#25 ·
The nav discs are produced by Navteq just like every other OEM disc. They are still updating them as far as I know, but I have a .iso file of the AI version that will at least get you going. PM me if you need it and I can dropbox it to you

#26 ·
Thanks man. That would definitely help me out.

I'm still debating whether or not to buy the system. It seems like after its all said and done I'm looking at $600+ with the head unit, antenna, mounting bracket, splitter box, etc...

#28 ·
I'm still contemplating this upgrade.

What I'm thinking about it is installing the RB1 in the dash and then remotely mounting the compatible MOPAR 6-disc CD changer either behind my seat or in a Tuffy single DIN flip lid console. From what I'm finding online, you cannot use the navigation function while listening to a CD, because the nav DVD must be loaded in the RB1. Has anyone had any experience running the auxiliary disc changer?

#29 ·
A 6-disc changer takes up a lot of real estate. Why not just get the ipod integration kit and use an ipod? It works great and you can even see the album/artist/song title info on the screen. I have an RB1 and the ipod kit in my '06 Wrangler.

#30 ·
Or buy a stereo that has built in bluetooth audio...dont have to plug in your phone or ipod and you maintain stereo controls of the iphone/ipod. Also they come with usb slots that you can use a small thumbdrive to store music on.

Also i use google maps on my iphone and it announces directions through the stereo and speakers

#47 ·
I discovered this too with google maps. I plug my iPhone into the USB on my head unit because I like charging it (especially when using something with GPS). I was listening to music and it startled me when she started speaking through the stereo. Thought it was just the coolest thing. Full turn by turn and automatically turns the music down to speak.

Way better than any integrated/OEM navigation. I honestly haven't met a factory navigation worth a darn. Even the navigation in our old Mercedes was dumb as a box of rocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.