JL Audio's new slim sub 10TW3-D4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > JL Audio's new slim sub 10TW3-D4

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
bigjeep127
2003 TJ Wrangler 

JL Audio's new slim sub 10TW3-D4

Just started shipping in the last month or two I believe.

http://www.jlaudio.com/10tw3-d4-car-...-drivers-92184

I know it's early but I was hoping someone has put one of these in Sirgcal's awesome in seat box. Anyone? From the specs it appears to be made for that box, I'm very excited about it. I'm planning on doing 1 with a Rockford P400-1. A smooth 400W RMS in the rear seat should sound nice I imagine.

Haven't built the box yet but I just got access to a table saw so it may happen sooner rather than later. I'll report back if/when I pull it off.

bigjeep127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
bigjeep127
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I did a quick Google Sketchup of the box. What a great design btw! From the specs on the JL site it appears this sub JUST fits and I do mean JUST. I had to move it all the way to the front of the box to get it to clear on the inside. I also changed the bottom face piece to 3/4" MDF to get the clearance. This works out because JL recommends a 3/4" front baffle thickness anyways. Net volume including drive displacement is 0.521 cu ft which is pretty darn good. JL says 0.5 is ideal.

I'm not box building expert, what do yall think of the driver position as well as the brace locations? Are they acceptable? I want to do this right the first time. Hoping it's strong enough to pound and also not get damaged from people sitting in the back seat.

Also, for the people who've built this box. I see the notch in the two "L" shaped pieces in the SirGCal plans online but nothing about notching the triangular pieces adjacent to them. I've gone ahead and notched them in the drawing as it appears the notch is there to fit it over something in the seat. Is the notch needed on the triangular piece? Do I even have the notch in the correct spot? Not sure where else it would go. (You can see what I'm talking about best in the 4th picture)

Unread 05-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
bigjeep127
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Lots of views and no replies. I guess no one has tried one. Well I'm going to build the box this weekend so wish me luck. Can anyone answer my question about the notches? I'll report back with some progress.
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
wjguru86

Thats one complicated box man. Props on tackling it. I don't have any input on the placement of notches but i wouldn't worry about the strength. As long as you're using MDF (at least 3/4" or 1/2"), use some adhesive glue and brad nails to hold it to together, you can pound it all you want.

As far as my opinion about your sub...I work for a JL Dealer but have worked for other shops that didn't carry them. I do not have a biased opinion about JL, I'm simply an installer who has put their product in. With that being said their flat subs do sound good and you're buying the best flat sub in my opinion . And the best way i can give my input about the sub is it's ideal when space is the biggest concern. Side by side next to a regular basket sub, the flat simply doesn't measure up. I believe this is due to the limited excursion of the flat sub and does not push as much air. But when space is tight, they're the way to go and i'm sure you''ll be happy...good luck on the box
wjguru86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
bigjeep127
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjguru86 View Post
Thats one complicated box man. Props on tackling it. I don't have any input on the placement of notches but i wouldn't worry about the strength. As long as you're using MDF (at least 3/4" or 1/2"), use some adhesive glue and brad nails to hold it to together, you can pound it all you want.

As far as my opinion about your sub...I work for a JL Dealer but have worked for other shops that didn't carry them. I do not have a biased opinion about JL, I'm simply an installer who has put their product in. With that being said their flat subs do sound good and you're buying the best flat sub in my opinion . And the best way i can give my input about the sub is it's ideal when space is the biggest concern. Side by side next to a regular basket sub, the flat simply doesn't measure up. I believe this is due to the limited excursion of the flat sub and does not push as much air. But when space is tight, they're the way to go and i'm sure you''ll be happy...good luck on the box
Well don't give me props yet because I've chickened out. I couldn't find any 5/8" mdf around town and needed to build the box yesterday as my friend was letting me use his table saw. So I decided to go with a behind the seat box which is MUCH easier to build and will handle much more power. Here's what it looks like, holds 3 8's. Ignore the dimensions as they changed.

Going with these subs which I'm very excited about. The internet seems pretty gaga over them.

SD-2 8 http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.ph...?category_id=2

Will give them about 1200 RMS so should be audible

I won't get the amp til next month but I'll report back with some pictures and reviews if anyone is interested.
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Teeka
2011 JK Wrangler 

Are you going to angle the subs?
Teeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
bigjeep127
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nope, just down firing.
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Mattk11

So, has anyone used or actually heard these woofs? JL has always been good but reviews for the 10" shallow are few and far between.
Mattk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
bigjeep127
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just in case anyone is wondering... the Sundown SD2-8's are f***ing incredible. Wow I can't believe how hard they slam. Never imagined I'd still get bass with the top down on the hwy.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.