JL audio sucks!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > JL audio sucks!!!

We still have some great deals going on!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 10-01-2004, 10:25 PM   #1
orangez
2003 TJ Wrangler 

JL audio sucks!!!

Just Kidding!!! I couldnt think of a title that would get your attention. I'm new here and was just wondering what was up with everyone using JL subs in their consoles, enclosures, etc.. I have looked at about 4 threads and that is the ONLY sub I have seen mentioned. I have nothing against JL subs, I was just curious.

Last edited by orangez; 10-01-2004 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: I kaint spel rite.
orangez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2004, 10:31 PM   #2
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

started with a JL Audio...blew it (due to my own stupid mistake)...replaced it with a Rockford Fosgate sub...

one of the main reasons you see JL mentioned is they're one of the few that make a quality 6.5" sub, which easily replaces the factory sub in the center console...RF also happens to make a nice one...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
orangez
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ooooooooh. that explains the 6.5 sub, but what about the ppl looking for 8's? Same answer would work I guess. I've never had any JL subs, but the ones I've head sounded pretty good. I just think they look old school I guess. Good speakers though.
orangez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2004, 10:45 PM   #4
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

dunno, really...these are the only two subs I've ever purchased...

you can modify the factory console to take an 8"...and maybe the JL as smaller cubic feet requirements and/or a shallower mounting depth?

when it's in the center console, the look isn't gonna make much difference...

RF:

JLA:

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2004, 11:42 AM   #5
SirGCal

BW is right on as usual...

JL Audio is a very strong brand making both SQ and SPL capable subs. The one problem is their price and availability (they have no certified online retailers for JL).

But, they are not the only game in town either. I use them alot but I also have connections in that area... RF makes a good (though more SPL oriented) sub also. Along with high-end MTX, Boston Acoustics, Memphis, Diamond, Elemental, and a/d/s just to name a few.

Here, the JL comes up alot probably due to the 6" sub mentioned. JL does make the best 6" sub on the market. RF and Kicker also have 6" options if you can find them. Moving up to 8" subs, many of the big players come into view. Basically, you need to get subs to fit your applicaiton. Picking a sub should take at least these variables:
  • How much internal volume will the sub(s) need for the box I want to utilize.
  • What voice coil configuration do I need for my sub(s) to wire them to an amp and what power amp/sub rating am I looking for. (Even more important if you already have the amp in mind...)
  • What kind of sound am I looking for (focused on SQ or SPL).

With those you can choose subs more effectively and be happier with your decision in the end.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2004, 03:26 PM   #6
phoen1c1an

I have a JL audio w7 10" and I loved it, till someone blew it.
phoen1c1an is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2004, 11:13 PM   #7
baldingo1

i guess its just me but i HATE JL
1.5 inch lift springs
2 inch body
RE HD YSE Short Shaft Kit
RE CV Driveshaft
LED tails
powder coated corner guards
35x13.50 Baja Claw BiasPly
3.55 Gears
EZ Locker Front
Powertrax Locker Rear
baldingo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2004, 08:06 PM   #8
AudioGuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldingo1
i guess its just me but i HATE JL
You are alone, or deaf. JL is one of the few companies out there that produces subs capable of high SPL while maintaining excellent sound quality. And they're bulletproof, too.

[COLOR=White]Don't lie. God said so.[/COLOR]
AudioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2004, 08:25 PM   #9
baldingo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGuru
You are alone, or deaf. JL is one of the few companies out there that produces subs capable of high SPL while maintaining excellent sound quality. And they're bulletproof, too.
JL sucks, they cant compete with other companys (ex: adire audio, resonant engineering, etc), they charge way more then any other companies, and when it comes down to sq and spl levels JL cant compete, when they are pushed hard they cop out. The JL name sells, but the truth it they havent been on top technology wise since they first released the W6. Ive owned JL before, not for very long though because i couldnt stand listening to them. The sq isnt bad at low volume levels but if you ever feel like turning it up you're -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= out of luck. I listen to my music extremely loud and i only buy the best, thats why i dont buy JL.

If you want a good woofer look intosome Adire stuff, the shiva is an awesome value woofer, and the Brahma will blow you away. Also look into RE, they make some wicked components
1.5 inch lift springs
2 inch body
RE CV Driveshaft
LED tails
3.55 Gears
EZ Locker Front
Powertrax Locker Rear
Unread 10-05-2004, 09:32 PM   #10
BzJeep
2001 WJ 

Well... a few weeks when I went sub shopping I listened to a wide range of subs and I found the 10" JL W7 to be very nice! My friends use Kicker, MTX and Kenwood and I ended up w/ my Alpine Type-R 10 which I absolutely love. This sub is truly amazing! Paired w/ the Alpine M301 amp (which according to the certificate is 383W) sounds clean and makes for a mini earthquake!

[b]Green Jeep Club Member #16[/b]
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/bzjeep[/url]
BzJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2004, 09:08 AM   #11
SirGCal

Quote:
JL sucks, they cant compete with other companys (ex: adire audio, resonant engineering, etc), they charge way more then any other companies, and when it comes down to sq and spl levels JL cant compete, when they are pushed hard they cop out. The JL name sells, but the truth it they havent been on top technology wise since they first released the W6. Ive owned JL before, not for very long though because i couldnt stand listening to them. The sq isnt bad at low volume levels but if you ever feel like turning it up you're -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= out of luck. I listen to my music extremely loud and i only buy the best, thats why i dont buy JL.

If you want a good woofer look intosome Adire stuff, the shiva is an awesome value woofer, and the Brahma will blow you away. Also look into RE, they make some wicked components
yea... ok...

Adire and RE do make some excelent stuff. But by no means is JL crap. And if you're listening to stuff THAT loud, you won't be for long... Extended volumes over 100dB can cause perminant hearing damage.

I can make a pair of 13W7's hit hard enough to make most people sick to their stomach while holding a very respectable SQ curve. No, they arent the best in the world, but neither are the one's you mentioned. Are they better? Depends on your personal preference I guess. But even so, JL does not, by any stretch of the word, suck... It really bugs me when someone takes a personal taste and turns it into a brand slander. I personally don't care for Sony at all, and there are better manufacturers out there, but for the average joe, their equipment is very nice. It doesn't SUCK, but I will never own it as long as another viable option exists. I have similar opinions of quite a few other brands as well but it doesn't mean they suck either...

After-all, being voted #1 Overall Company for five strait years, JL Audio must be putting out something good... They can compete, they do compete, and they win. Adire, RE Audio, JL Audio, Elemental Designs, etc. are all good brands.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 10-06-2004, 11:38 AM   #12
baldingo1

Quote:
yea... ok...

Adire and RE do make some excelent stuff. But by no means is JL crap. And if you're listening to stuff THAT loud, you won't be for long... Extended volumes over 100dB can cause perminant hearing damage.

I can make a pair of 13W7's hit hard enough to make most people sick to their stomach while holding a very respectable SQ curve. No, they arent the best in the world, but neither are the one's you mentioned. Are they better? Depends on your personal preference I guess. But even so, JL does not, by any stretch of the word, suck... It really bugs me when someone takes a personal taste and turns it into a brand slander. I personally don't care for Sony at all, and there are better manufacturers out there, but for the average joe, their equipment is very nice. It doesn't SUCK, but I will never own it as long as another viable option exists. I have similar opinions of quite a few other brands as well but it doesn't mean they suck either...

After-all, being voted #1 Overall Company for five strait years, JL Audio must be putting out something good... They can compete, they do compete, and they win. Adire, RE Audio, JL Audio, Elemental Designs, etc. are all good brands.
ya, i agree with you that it is my opinion, but it is the opinion of a lot of people. the w7 is a good sounding sub, its by far the best woofer that jl puts out right now, but when a 12 retails for around $700-$800 bucks, and the spl and sq compares to a woofer that will cost you half the price, why would you go with jl? instead of a w7 go with an Image Dynamics ID MAX, that will run you about $400. There are so many better sounding, and so many higher powered components out there that will cost you half the price of jl, i dont know why anyone would buy jl
1.5 inch lift springs
2 inch body
RE CV Driveshaft
LED tails
3.55 Gears
EZ Locker Front
Powertrax Locker Rear
Unread 10-06-2004, 01:05 PM   #13
SirGCal

Quote:
ya, i agree with you that it is my opinion, but it is the opinion of a lot of people. the w7 is a good sounding sub, its by far the best woofer that jl puts out right now, but when a 12 retails for around $700-$800 bucks, and the spl and sq compares to a woofer that will cost you half the price, why would you go with jl? instead of a w7 go with an Image Dynamics ID MAX, that will run you about $400. There are so many better sounding, and so many higher powered components out there that will cost you half the price of jl, i dont know why anyone would buy jl
I guess alot of that depends on how you get your prices.. I don't pay half as much as you listed for JL's... But that's a special circumstance. (I wish I had the same situations on alot of the other brands...)

But, so from your perspective and price access, JL doesn't suck, they are just higher-priced. Understandable responce. For me, RE and ED for example is very hard to obtain right now and I pretty much am stuck with retail costs. So for me JL is the cheap option. Hence my point of view...

I just didn't want anyone to think they were utter crap period from your initial comments. They are expensive (retail), and there are cheaper alternatives out there with similar or better quality for sure. But they are not, by any means, junk...

I ran a few ID MAX a while ago. Not bad but they blew early... Went through three in a comp SQ setup. (design used only 1 in the vehicle) Then I changed to a W7 and changed the amps accordingly and had no further problems. This, however, was a specific instance and ID is not at fault. (tests revieled the chamber to be too tight, even though it was in ID's specs. Falloff was above 35Hz and low distortion kept blowing coils. We could have increased box volume to drop internal resonant frequency or changed subs for a model that worked better in the smaller environment.) I've used alot of ID before and would still recommend them to anyone who asked. Don't think I don't like them because of this simple error. It's all a part of development.

My problem now is availability and price, for me, in my current situation, JL is the winner in both catagories. Obviously, not everyone is in my position and you for example have better prices and availability of other brands. That's cool! They are all champions. Expensive champions some are but they are all quality units none the less..

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.