JL 6W3, JL 6x9 VRs, JL 300x4 custom install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > JL 6W3, JL 6x9 VRs, JL 300x4 custom install

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

JL 6W3, JL 6x9 VRs, JL 300x4 custom install

No pics yet, but i raised the drivers seat up about 2" just under the spring part of the seat. I welded angle iron to make the risers. The amp mounts in the space created and the back of the amp faces out the door so i can tweak with the settings. I like the seat much better up high and i can see over the hood WAY better. (5'10"). The amp will be "theft proof". I'm welding the nuts onto the bolts, and i'll tack weld in one of the seat bolts so they don't steal the seat to get the amp. The W3 install is going to be much trickier. Even with no interior sub box, the W3 hits the ebrake with the magnet when the other side is against the grill. I still have to fab up a box, but i already moved the e-brake over about 2" with a custom base to give more clearance. Hopefully i'll get the sub box done tomorrow. That W3 is a TIGHT fit!!

jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
JerseyDubbin

I started building my own sub box for the same subwoofer and gave up and just installed it into the stock console. I was way too annoyed at all the trimming i was doing for the e-brake etc.

I was afraid of putting an amp under the seat for fear of it getting wet, but I guess this is a viable option.

What amp are you using to power the sub?

www.gothamtg.com
JerseyDubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You can't fit a JL 6W3 in the stock box, only the 6W0. I even cut out all the plastic fins to see if it would fit. No way in hell. I'm giving 150W rms (bridged mono on the front channel) and 74W rms to each 6x9 on the rear channel off the JL 300x4. The fronts will run off the deck. The amp is above the bottom of the door and i don't plan on water crossings that deep. With an amp this size there is no place to put it other than under the seat.
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
mylt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
You can't fit a JL 6W3 in the stock box, only the 6W0. I even cut out all the plastic fins to see if it would fit. No way in hell. I'm giving 150W rms (bridged mono on the front channel) and 74W rms to each 6x9 on the rear channel off the JL 300x4. The fronts will run off the deck. The amp is above the bottom of the door and i don't plan on water crossings that deep. With an amp this size there is no place to put it other than under the seat.
hate to tell you but your doing it backwards. the fronts should be run off the amp and the rears off the deck. the rears are mainly for fill in and the majority of the sound you hear is from the front. you may want to reconsider your plans.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1 View Post
hate to tell you but your doing it backwards. the fronts should be run off the amp and the rears off the deck. the rears are mainly for fill in and the majority of the sound you hear is from the front. you may want to reconsider your plans.
Huh? I can't even hear the fronts until i fade way up to the front. The rears are 6" from my ears. I'd say 70% of the sound i hear comes from the rears.
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

"hear" and sound quality are 2 different things. If you're after "hear" (volume) instead of sound quality then you can save money by skipping the JL audio components. Otherwise I'm with mylt I would upgrade the dash (if you don't like the levels you're getting from those speakers) and amp them instead of the rears.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Do you guys really think 75W would go to better use with the wimpy 4" speakers in the font? Compared to the 6x9s that have magnets way more than double the size of the 4". I have JL C2 400x in the front. I figured the 6x9s would add more bass to the sound stage. Have you guys driving with no rear speakers? I did for a few months and the angle and position for the front speakers sucks.
Unread 12-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
mylt1

actually, i have had single cab/KC trucks with ONLY front speakers and a sub. the front creates your sound stage and the rears provide fill. a good set of comps running off an amp will sound worlds better than you amping the rear speakers and running the fronts off the deck. but you do what you want and when you come back complaining about how bad it sounds dont be surprised if you get several "told ya so's".
Unread 12-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1 View Post
and when you come back complaining about how bad it sounds dont be surprised if you get several "told ya so's".
Going from stock rear speakers off the deck, to 6x9s with 75w i don't think you will hear me complaining.

The front speakers are 4". The best JL makes will handle 35w rms. Maybe some other people make a better 4" speaker, but with only 4" you can't expect much. What speakers would you suggest?
Remember that trucks have much larger front speakers, and sometimes little tiny back speakers. I have jl 5.25" XRs front and 6.5" XRs off the same amp in my car and it kicks ***.
Unread 12-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
mylt1

when did jeep change from 4x6's up front and 5.25's in the rear? 4x6's get replaced with 5.25's via an adapter bracket. 6x9's suck because they do not reproduce sound as good as a round speaker. but anyways, good luck with your plans. you dont want to listen so i will guarantee you will be back complaining.
Unread 12-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Have you ever put 4x6" speakers in a TJ? It may be possible, but would require extensive modifications to the stock boxes. The stock speakers are 4" with a tweeter and look like these polks i had i my last jeep. 5.25" haha, you must be joking! The first pic is how i hacked the top part off to fit the polk in because the stock tweeter is surface mounted.

Its not a competition stereo. 6x9s hit harder than 6.5" all day long. I could care less about SQ in a jeep. I paid $300 for the 6W3, 300x4, and the 6x9s. All the stuff was never even used. The amp alone will cost more than that. New 6W3s are $150 and the 6x9s are $180. Sometimes you take the deal.

With all the crap you are spewing its hard to believe you have listened to a stereo in a TJ, let alone ever install one. Hopefully your wife can deal with all your negativity.

Update: I got the amp installed under the seat and hooked up to the rear stock speakers. The ebrake is done, and i've modded the hell out of the stock box to fit the woofer in. It fits now, i just need to put it all back together. Got lots of pics on my camera too. It may have been easier to make a new one, but i didn't have enough mdf, and didn't feel like buying a sheet at the depot.

Last edited by jgorm; 12-31-2009 at 08:29 AM..
Unread 12-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Was there ever a question in this thread? If you're happy with the gear you bought then install it and listen to it set up the way you envision it (powering the 6x9's). If the center console idea is out you may want to look into using the in-seat design altho I kind of remember from your previous posts you didn't run a seat or something. You seem to have some skills so maybe you could fiberglass a rear firing pod to the center console. Just an idea.

To install a 4x6 or 5.25 you need to ditch the little enclosure and use a trim ring/adapter to mount a standard 4x6 or 5.25. Most of us are running the 5.25 in the dash and some of us are running a 6.5 in the dash. If you want an enclosure for your speaker then you're going to want to line the area and use resin to make a new one from fiberglass.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3123/...39067a.jpg?v=0

During my amp swaps I was left with just the soundbar speakers and I can definately say without a doubt more sound comes from my powered dash speakers than the head unit powered soundbar speakers.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #13
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
Was there ever a question in this thread?

To install a 4x6 or 5.25 you need to ditch the little enclosure and use a trim ring/adapter to mount a standard 4x6 or 5.25.

During my amp swaps I was left with just the soundbar speakers and I can definately say without a doubt more sound comes from my powered dash speakers than the head unit powered soundbar speakers.
Nope, no question.

If you ditch the enclosure what do you do for a box? If you don't isolate the waves from the front and back of the speaker the bass notes will cancel out. Have you ever heard a speaker outside of its box?

Of course amped front speakers will be louder than non amped rear speakers

I re-used the stock box. I had to split it at the seam to insert a piece of 3/4" MDF. I used 5/8" mdf to cover up the amp hole, and then some 3/4" mdf to reinforce the sides and take up more volume. I filled the stock sub box with water and got 7.030L. I have the one from my old jeep that got jacked, so i had two. I filled it with the sub and amp in there. The JL 6W3 wants 4.2L. I left my 3/4" box spacer solid so that the front half of the box is no longer part of the enclosure volume. I estimated that to be about 1.868L so i had about 1L of space to take up. I figure about 0.4 to 0.8L of space was consumed with my reinforcing mdf. I'm letting the 2 halves tack up and then i'll glue the box together and mount the sub. The 6x9 install is going to have to wait. we have a trip to mammoth in about a week and i need to change the brake fluid, fix the track bar heim joint, and mount racks on the hard top. At least i had this week off!
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here are some pictures. The bass sounds great for a 6". WAAAY better than the stock POS. Now i need to fix all the new rattles!

More pictures here
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #15
Peregrine777
1997 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=gily25;8584064]Most of us are running the 5.25 in the dash and some of us are running a 6.5 in the dash. If you want an enclosure for your speaker then you're going to want to line the area and use resin to make a new one from fiberglass.
QUOTE]

I'd LOVE to know if anyone has ever enclosed the dash speakers. I have a feeling a lot of Jeepers wouldn't be so desperate for extra subs if they could just get more mid-bass punch out of the fronts. The current free-air arrangement makes even amplified speakers sound kinda hollow.
Peregrine777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.