JL 12W6? are they worth the hype? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > JL 12W6? are they worth the hype?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 11-05-2001, 05:04 PM   #1
mytjnamedrex

JL 12W6? are they worth the hype?

well are they and what kind of box is the best?

Unread 11-06-2001, 04:00 AM   #2
AJ

Jl's are expensive. But they are worth every penny. They are very versatile and will work well with just about any kind of enclosure, assuming it's sized right. They hit very hard and very clean at the same time.

The 6's are 6 ohm speakers and are designed to be used either singly, or in triples, to work with most amps. You probably don't have room to run 3 12's unless you don't ever use your rear seat. If you are really interested in JL's in your jeep, look at their stealthbox. It replaces your center console and has a JL 12 built into it. It looks stock, completely unnoticeable, which keeps your sub safe. It also sounds great even with a soft-top, and it even hits hard with the top down.

It is kind of expensive, but if you keep replacing subs and slashed soft-tops...
AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2001, 09:23 AM   #3
vector_3

A JL W6 is a sound quality sub. I plays bass very accuratly. If you want a sub that is really loud then go for a W3. The type of sub you buy depends on what you like as far as bass. JL's are great subs if you want something cheap but works great go for a W0. And if you have money to burn go for the new W7. As far as the stealth box AJ's right, it's a great investment. I'm not sure if you can get a 12 in a stealth box though for a '97. I think it's just 10's. I could be wrong though.
vector_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2001, 05:49 PM   #4
mytjnamedrex

Im thinking about 2 and downfiring one in a sealed box and one behind the seat in a ported (or sealed) box firing forward. I found a way to rig a seat so I can downfire.. Anyways I was just wondering if they would be a good choice.
Unread 11-13-2001, 12:33 AM   #5
eltj

Go with the W3. The sub performes as will as a W6 but has the VRC voice coil which will stand up to more abuse. Another thing that is over looked is that the W6 requires a biger amp to perform its best. In a jeep the best box is going to be sealed because on a ported box they require twice the air space. Your best bet is a down fire box with 2 10W3's the voice coil will depend on the type of amp you have but the 2ohm version requires the smallest box.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.